• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

Wait...how did that person become a fighter pilot and yet was not employed/picked for pilot by the CF (fighter pilot in a different country)?

airdelta2 said:
Wait...so you can fail CAPPS and still be chosen for Pilot (how else would him or her become a fighter pilot)? It might be possible since I've read on here about people passing CAPPS and they were chosen for MARS or another trade.

No. I'm guessing they probably got some fighter pilots who hadn't done CAPSS before to give it a whirl. CAPSS hasn't existed forever so not every pilot in the CF has done it.

airdelta2 said:
If you pass capps but don't get chosen - what would they be basing that off of? I am guessing the interview is the other places they assess if you're right for pilot.

They look at your whole application when deciding who to give an offer to. Your whole application means your interview, CFAT, Aircrew Selection and whether or not your security checks came through ok or not.

airdelta2 said:
If you pass capps but don't get chosen - what would they be basing that off of? I am guessing the interview is the other places they assess if you're right for pilot.

The interview comes before they send you to Trenton for the simulation testing

yoman said:
No. I'm guessing they probably got some fighter pilots who hadn't done CAPSS before to give it a whirl. CAPSS hasn't existed forever so not every pilot in the CF has done it.

They look at your whole application when deciding who to give an offer to. Your whole application means your interview, CFAT, Aircrew Selection and whether or not your security checks came through ok or not.

Makes sense. I wonder if some people have failed ACS and were still chosen for pilot. All you can really do then is apply (maybe take some flight lessons) and see what happens.

airdelta2 said:
Makes sense. I wonder if some people have failed ACS and were still chosen for pilot. All you can really do then is apply (maybe take some flight lessons) and see what happens.
If you fail CAPSS, you don't get offered pilot- unless you take it again.  If there are people PASSING aircrew and not being selected, I would be shocked to hear of people FAILING aircrew and receiving an offer.  It's kind of like the CFAT, from what I understand- you either make the grade and qualify for selection, or you don't. Period.

jwtg said:
If you fail CAPSS, you don't get offered pilot- unless you take it again.  If there are people PASSING aircrew and not being selected, I would be shocked to hear of people FAILING aircrew and receiving an offer.  It's kind of like the CFAT, from what I understand- you either make the grade and qualify for selection, or you don't. Period.

That is how recruiting explained it to me when I qualified for selection.

is there any chance of being posted to the West coast after the 5 months of basic and Nav canada? or are all first postings in the East? 

WonderGirl said:
is there any chance of being posted to the West coast after the 5 months of basic and Nav canada? or are all first postings in the East?

There is always a chance.  And no, not all first postings are East.  Approximately 50% of the postings will be to North Bay (although that varies with each course too) with the rest scattered amongst the other units. 

airmich said:
There is always a chance.  And no, not all first postings are East.  Approximately 50% of the postings will be to North Bay (although that varies with each course too) with the rest scattered amongst the other units.

Great to know! Thanks Airmich

Today I got a job offer for AC Op.  I have noticed a few other people on this forum have also received offers for various positions.  To all today congratulations and good luck on the start of a new beginning!!!

GMK said:
Today I got a job offer for AC Op.  I have noticed a few other people on this forum have also received offers for various positions.  To all today congratulations and good luck on the start of a new beginning!!!

same here see u down the road

Is AC Op one of the more competitve trades (ie infantry, med tech, MP) to get into?

Is there any type of course or particular volunteer work that would be related to this trade you could recommend?

It was posted as "in demand" a few months back, but Ive heard there arent many positions that open up so I was wondering what I can do to "beef up" my app.

Thanks

Is AC Op one of the more competitve trades (ie infantry, med tech, MP) to get into? It's been open since I applied in March and is still open.

Is there any type of course or particular volunteer work that would be related to this trade you could recommend? Volunteer work on a resume looks good no matter what job you apply for.

It was posted as "in demand" a few months back, but Ive heard there arent many positions that open up so I was wondering what I can do to "beef up" my app. -Spell things correctly, don't leave anything blank where it asks for details.

Looking for any AC Op's out there that can maybe answer some questions I've got. My BMQ date is January 24th, and I know you can request to be posted at certain locations (No guarantee of course). However my question is regarding what side of the occupation they put you. The NORAD side? The tower? How is this decision made and can you request to want to work in a tower?

Thanks in advance.

Hey buddy, I just got out of that trade a couple months ago.

About halfway through your QL3, they'll let you pick posting preferences. This is done when you've done some training in the air defense and air traffic side so you can have some basis to decide that. They'll also let you know which bases are looking for how many positions. It's different all the time. Some years there's an even number of spots. Sometimes not. Usually, air defense (North Bay) has at least half of the available spots, because they have to furnish 5 crews with people.

That said, the tradition is that the higher performing students get the air traffic positions - but again, this is dependent on what's available. Top candidate usually gets their first choice by the way.

So you got out of the trade, did you not like it?

Thank you for your post, how long did you go to school for besides the 4 month in Cornwall?

I got out for complicated reasons. It's not important. The trade is good. You're generally treated like an adult and you make important decisions quickly compared to other trades.

Also, Cornwall is 3 months. After that I went to north bay and did a month long tracking course, and then you'll get a second qual in ID, weapons, or data links about a year after that.

Cbbmtt said:
Looking for any AC Op's out there that can maybe answer some questions I've got. My BMQ date is January 24th, and I know you can request to be posted at certain locations (No guarantee of course). However my question is regarding what side of the occupation they put you. The NORAD side? The tower? How is this decision made and can you request to want to work in a tower?

Thanks in advance.

There's always two sides to the posting coin - where you want to go, and where the military wants you to go. Which "side" of the trade you're put on depends on which unit you're posted to, which is determined by the Career Manager. Basically, they'll look at which positions are available and compare that to who wants which postings, and determine from there. On my course, everyone got a posting that was in their 3 choices, but that might not always happen.

If you want to work in a tower, my suggestion would be to memorize the QL3 pre-course study package before your 3's, and work your hardest when you're on your 3's. When the posting preferences sheet comes around, only put airbases down. It isn't a guarantee that you'll be posted to an ATC unit afterwards, but at least it shows you want it.

Nothing wrong with North Bay though :)

Back