• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

Yup, there's a few variables that can affect your 'away trip' numbers and how busy you are.  IMPACT had a fairly drastic affect for several years;  I started and finished 2016 deployed at IMPACT (6 months there that year) and still went away that year in May, June, and July.  The op tempo isn't as hectic now, but "Op NEXT" is always around the corner.

My  :2c: on MH and LRP;  this is a general sense I get from the guys I know who've done MH - they might not go away as often, but when they do go, its for longer.  HELAIRDETs can go for 6+ months at a time.  The only LRP aircrew I've seen deployed that long were the Det HQ folks during IMPACT (not primary flying positions...though they did fly).

Here's how 2018 looked for me after the last IMPACT crew got home:

Jan - home
Feb - away (course)
Mar- away (ASW exercise)
Apr - home
May - away (ASW exercise)
June - home (on course)
July - home
Aug - summer leave, deployment prep
Sep/Oct/Nov - deployed
Dec - mostly on leave, Standby crew end-Dec into the New Year.

Deployments and exercises are, for the most part, pretty Gucci compared to what the average CAF member will experience.  It isn't uncommon to have single rooms in hotels, and decent places to see and things to keep you occupied on your non-flying days. 

I've covered a fairly substantial part of the globe as a LRP type.  There's something good to be said about breaking down and being 'stuck' in Hawaii, Scotland, Norway, etc.

Comox - lots to do, crazy prices to buy a home. 
Greenwood - crappier tax rates, housing more affordable, not as much stuff to do (especially if you're the outdoors type).  PMQ rates are also pretty low in Gwood.

BobSlob said:
It's changed quite a bit over the past few years. But you can "average" about a 3 week stint every 3 months. Unless of course another OP Impact pops up.

This would be even better if they stopped pulling people from Crew X over to Crew Y for deployment/exercise Z... :whistle:

If you're gonna have a crew system, you have to stick to it as much as possible.  You can't administer by crew, operate as a pool.  But, that's not really our problem anymore is it?  ;D

Hey everyone,

New to this and was wondering how often do you hear about new recruits going straight into AESOp?

Wondering because I've been doing some research and looking through the application process samples on here but can't seem to find a lot of info about direct recruitment into the AESOp position.
I know that the answer could be quite different from one person to another depending on the applicant but I'm interested in joining as either AESOp or AWS Tech - so far AESOp seems to be what I'm leaning more towards but is that hard to get into?

Linx said:
I'm interested in joining as either AESOp or AWS Tech - so far AESOp seems to be what I'm leaning more towards but is that hard to get into?

There are plenty of direct entry AES Ops, probably the luckiest folks in the CAF.

I think getting into any small trade can be tough, but there are so many factors at play and the only one you control is the only one that matters. Your application.

I’d start with a visit to the recruiting center and see what they have to say. Do what you have to do to make your application stand out and you’ll stand a greater chance of getting what you want.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
There are plenty of direct entry AES Ops, probably the luckiest folks in the CAF.

I think getting into any small trade can be tough, but there are so many factors at play and the only one you control is the only one that matters. Your application.

I’d start with a visit to the recruiting center and see what they have to say. Do what you have to do to make your application stand out and you’ll stand a greater chance of getting what you want.

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely ask next week when I go in for my CFAT.

New (short) trade video that I just saw a few minutes ago.  Gives a quick look at some of the modernization that has happened with the 2 main fleets we fly on;  the CH-148 Cyclone and CP-140M Aurora. 

Featured Career - AES Op

Eye In The Sky said:
New (short) trade video that I just saw a few minutes ago.  Gives a quick look at some of the modernization that has happened with the 2 main fleets we fly on;  the CH-148 Cyclone and CP-140M Aurora. 

Featured Career - AES Op

Thanks for sharing ! It's nice to have a fresher look at the trade.  ;D

Big weight off my shoulders. Just finished my PSO interview ... Looking good hopefully. Boards are supposed to be held for votu in October so I should expect to hear back by Halloween. Fingers crossed

If you don't mind me asking...did you prep at all for the interview?  I hope it works out for you...it is definitely a good trade and a decent way to earn a pay cheque and pension.

Yes. I researched a lot. I think the interview was good. The PSO said I was very competitive and would be surprised if I was not picked considering the amount of Aesop's being recruited this term. My cfat is very solid.

I just need to give my grade 12 transcripts as I applied while I was still in school.

I'm set for my BPSO interview on October 15th, I'm excited !

Do you guys have any tips to prepare for it ? What does a typical interview look like (type of questions, ambience, etc.)

Thank you

The best thing you can do is have a good, basic understanding of what AES Ops do, where they do it, and why you believe the trade would be good for both the CAF and you as the member.  Be respectful of rank, be polite and professional in your interactions.

FWIW, I dressed the same as the BPSO office folks, so rather than being in CADPAT I was in 3B.  It's an interview after all.

Jokerniemi said:
Do you guys have any tips to prepare for it ? What does a typical interview look like (type of questions, ambience, etc.)

EITS nailed it. You should also be prepared to talk about yourself, your hobbies, job experiences, community involvement, stuff like that.

Got my offer! Going on BTL here in Edmonton on the 31st. Hopefully don't have to wait too long for courses

Congrats! 

Course wait times...don't fret over it too much.  I'm the BTL Co-ord for a dozen or so BTL AES Ops;  when the CWO who does the course loading can fit people in, he fits them in.  There are some pre-req courses you'll have to complete before you attend the formal course at 402 Sqn.

In the meantime, you might think about where you are going to hang your hat during BTL days.  Maybe here?  http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/squadron/408-squadron.page

Securing an OJT spot could be the next important thing you do. 

Congrats again...if there is any advice, etc you need, don't hesitate to fire me a PM.  If I don't know the answer, I probably know the person who does know the answer.  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Congrats! 

Course wait times...don't fret over it too much.  I'm the BTL Co-ord for a dozen or so BTL AES Ops;  when the CWO who does the course loading can fit people in, he fits them in.  There are some pre-req courses you'll have to complete before you attend the formal course at 402 Sqn.

In the meantime, you might think about where you are going to hang your hat during BTL days.  Maybe here?  http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/squadron/408-squadron.page

Securing an OJT spot could be the next important thing you do. 

Congrats again...if there is any advice, etc you need, don't hesitate to fire me a PM.  If I don't know the answer, I probably know the person who does know the answer.  ;D

I was thinking of 408, but I didn't think they have much stuff relevant to the trade or if they even have a single AESOp?

I wonder if OJE in Comox would be viable. Not sure.

s4uce said:
I was thinking of 408, but I didn't think they have much stuff relevant to the trade or if they even have a single AESOp?

I wonder if OJE in Comox would be viable. Not sure.

408 doesn't have any AES Ops. 

As for Comox, it never hurts to ask.  Winters are nicer too.  Problem is you may never want to leave the Island.  :nod:

Aha, I want to go there so I can be close to whistler. Hit the slopes and start shredding!

You can definitely ask your BTL CofC about that...if you need some direct assistance from "within the trade", drop me a PM.

408 is TacHel so no AES Ops but...it's the best choice if you remain in Edmonton, IMO.  I know some folks who've had some lousy BTL waits (Wainwright...Shilo).  Being around a flying Sqn is still being around a flying Sqn.

Even if it is "army aviation".  ;D

Back