• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Luke - Canadian movie...

muffin

Inactive
Reaction score
I searched to see if there was anything on this already but came up blank.

I was looking at "coming soon" movies and came across "Afghan Luke"... I can't tell if this is supposed to be serious or a farce (it is directed by Trailer Park Boys director Mike Clattenburg)

Synopsis

Disheartened when his story about Canadian snipers possibly mutilating corpses in Afghanistan is buried, Luke (Nick Stahl) quits his job but is even more determined to return to Afghanistan to get the real story. With his offbeat buddy, Tom (Nicolas Wright), tagging along, Luke returns to Afghanistan and intends to gather enough evidence to get his old story into print. But he soon finds that the country is an even more dangerous place than when he left. To make matters worse, his old friend and fixer, Mateen (Stephen Lobo) has been hired away by Luke’s journalistic nemesis, Imran Sahar (Vik Sahay). Soon the trip for Luke and Tom in Afghanistan turns into a surreal and perilous adventure, a journey into an alternate reality, filtered through a haze of gun smoke.

http://www.afghanluke.com

I really don't know what to think about this film  :-\

Revisionist crap. There's no substance to the premise that our snipers mutilated any corpses. Good fiction rests on a bed of fact, and this has none.

I took a look at the failbook page and it's nothing but self congratulatory messages. I won't dispute that there may be some fine actors in the project, and they should not suffer because of the material. None the less... crap!

“A courageous (we're going ahead with this even though the rumour was already proven groundless) and extremely timely (not only is St Jack is dead, but this "Suppport the Troops" thing has to end) inquiry into our place in the world and our own cherished self-image (Canadian soldiers simply refuse to be 'peacekeepers', dammit) as well as a fascinating account of the backstabbing world of frontline journalism (war is especially hard on we journalists and film-makers), Afghan Luke may be one of the most important Canadian films of the year.”(Left-wing, conspiracy-theorist  loonies will be swooning in the cinema aisles)

- Toronto International Film Festival ...with unpaid editorializing in yellow.

Pretty sure I can give this one a pass.  ::)

Well that about confirms the gut feeling I had for it.

I, too, think I'll wait until it's in the 2/$10 bin at Walmart to add this one to my collection.

milnews.ca said:
I, too, think I'll wait until it's in the 2/$10 bin at Walmart to add this one to my collection.

I wouldn't buy it if it was in the 10/2$ bin!

Not only does the plotline sound like a wank 'n a half, they even ripped off the font from HBO's "Generation Kill".

Teh Ghey.

Hammer Sandwich said:
Not only does the plotline sound like a wank 'n a half, they even ripped off the font from HBO's "Generation Kill".

Teh Ghey.

Hey HS! Maybe you can spoof this movie? It's got potential!

Somebody should launch an action against them for defamation and make them put a screen at the beginning of the movie indicating that it isn't based on reality and it s pure fiction.

I can't believe somebody would do this. The real investigation was abused enough (of course when an allegation is made it needs to be investigated- but the investgation itself was used as a weapon). Didn't like the results so you make a fictional movie that fits your accounts?

I am PISSED

Container said:
Didn't like the results so you make a fictional movie that fits your accounts?
Well, the IMDb listing doesn't actually mention that it's fiction; that would make it slightly (but only slightly) more problematic for the conspiracy theorists.  ::)

I dont like how close to the accusations it is and then goes off on its own.

Maybe Im too sensitive.

Journeyman said:
Well, the IMDb listing doesn't actually mention that it's fiction; that would make it slightly (but only slightly) more problematic for the conspiracy theorists.  ::)
Only those that don't understand what "drama" means.  Oh, wait.....  Never mind.

Gawd, even the promo poster is cheddar...."OMG, the reporters are blindfolded...ooo, what a scathing commentary on the suppression of the media in a Theatre of Operations...(wankwankwank).....".  :facepalm:

This things smacks of "Hurt Locker" type film making.

what was wrong with Hurt Locker? Green Zone is the one I think of when it comes to movies that start good and then tie things together with an agenda.

Container said:
what was wrong with Hurt Locker?

Everything..... IMO

Sure, it was kind of interesting, but it seemed like a bunch of slapped-together vingettes, instead of one coherent peice. (kinda like any of my posts... 8))

To my untrained eye: all the "cowboy" behaviour would've gotten the lead (Jeremy Renner) kicked off his team, never mind probably out of any sort of Military service altogether.....(and this is just one example).

But I digress.....

Container said:
what was wrong with Hurt Locker?

You mean, besides this...  ;D
The-Hurt-Locker-001.jpg

Actually, I suspect Hurt Locker, and Green Zone, will be in a completely different catagory than what appears to be inflammatory 'military as psychotic killers/only left-wing journalists provide truth' rubbish.

Technoviking said:
Is this going to be a "Straight to DVD Production"?

A Canadian movie, with a five million dollar budget?......I would imagine a theater run of about 48 seconds, then into the bargain-bin she goes.

Back