• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Luke - Canadian movie...

The filmmakers said they were told by a senior military official that they got Afghanistan right, which they seem pleased to tell me.
That's known as "damning by faint praise," familiar to anyone who's done a PER on a less-than-stellar subordinate, where you have to include something positive.

Journeyman said:
That's known as "damning by faint praise," familiar to anyone who's done a PER on a less-than-stellar subordinate, where you have to include something positive.
Or to anyone who's assessed mutual instruction:  "Three good points about your lecture:  you had your head dress on, your boots were properly laced and your pockets were all buttoned.  Now, three bad points....."

milnews.ca said:
I, too, think I'll wait until it's in the 2/$10 bin at Walmart to add this one to my collection.
Three-year bump to let folks know:  I ended up buying a copy today at a local Dollarama for $1 and watching it.

No two-dimensional character cliche left unturned, military or Afghan.

Clincher:  CF Sergeant, when shot, says "There goes my gun" when the horse where his rifle is hanging gallops away. 

In the "Making Of" micro-documentary, the writer says it's not an anti-war movie, but one where it shows how everyone goes a bit crazy in war.

My rating?
claires_so_cheesy.png

Worth.
Every.
Penny.
I.
Paid.

Spoiler alert
We never find out about the cut-off finger.

We never find out about the cut-off finger.

I remember stumbling upon this movie not too long ago. I believe it was around June. I had sort of mixed feelings on where the film was aimed at (anti-CF or not anti-CF).

Although I'm pretty sure that the CF sergeant told the guy that there was no finger, and that that wrapped "finger" was just wrapped candy, to fool the journalist who worked for CNN or whatever. When it came down to that point, it seemed as if the entire film is truly anti-journalist, as it shows the soldiers making an a** out of each and every journalist there.

Note how the CF sergeant near the end gets fed up with the journalist's poor marksmanship and then after that insurgent quits mocking them and walks back, the CF sergeant tells the journalist that he (the journalist) killed the insurgent, when he truly hadn't. After that, the journalist had to live thinking that he had shot the insurgent, simply believing what was told to him without solid evidence, like the majority of conspiracy theorists.

Is that one of those schools that have diplomas like Bachelor of Arts degrees?

Something like that!

It made getting a very competitive job such as McDonald's easier!

Back