• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Luke - Canadian movie...

muffin said:
Out in theater Sept 23rd I believe
And if you can't wait, its TIFF screening times are:

Sunday September 11
Scotiabank Theatre 1
9:30pm

Wednesday September 14
AMC 2
2:15pm

muffin said:
Out in theater Sept 23rd I believe

It looks like they have a Canadian distributor, but this kind of show doesn't usually get big exposure.

I'll probably watch it on DVD, (or on demand, whatever), but not in a theatre.

Hammer Sandwich said:
I'll probably watch it on DVD, (or on demand, whatever), but not in a theatre.

I'm going to see it in the theatre - in uniform!  :evil:

I may go to watch it just for the mud-wrestling scene between Ali Liebert and Pascale Hutton...

On the face of it, the synopsis is alarming...

I will watch it, and hold my judgement until then. Without knowing the finish of the movie, it is difficult for me to reconcile the idea at this film maker is anti-Canadian Forces. He could very well have a very nice message for us in the movie.

(Remembering of course, that many of the cast of the Trailer Park Boys have been fairly public in support of us, the members of  the CF).

Teeps74 said:

I will watch it, and hold my judgement until then. Without knowing the finish of the movie, it is difficult for me to reconcile the idea at this film maker is anti-Canadian Forces. He could very well have a very nice message for us in the movie.

(Remembering of course, that many of the cast of the Trailer Park Boys have been fairly public in support of us, the members of  the CF).
My biggest source of doubt, and I stand to be corrected....
milnews.ca said:
I've just noticed the film doesn't include a military consultant in its crew list at IMDB - they do have 2 dog trainers, though.

Good2Golf said:
I may go to watch it just for the mud-wrestling scene between Ali Liebert and Pascale Hutton...

I missed that part in the IMDB summary....... maybe this thing is worth watching at least on DVD......alone 8)

Danjanou said:
I missed that part in the IMDB summary....... maybe this thing is worth watching at least on DVD......alone 8)
Just don't wear out the pause button, bud....
Ali Liebert
Liebert_040610-0111web-150x150.jpg

Pascale Hutton
29469739.jpg

Teeps74 said:

The pain caused to the members involved in the accusations that are similar to the events of this movie (except now its about a coverup) is enough for me to know its BS.

Do your part in the battle against bad movies, "download" the hell out of it. ;D

Having watched the trailer, I don't think this movie takes itself that seroiusly. The bit about the snipers doesn't even seem to be central to the plot.

Rheostatic said:
Having watched the trailer, I don't think this movie takes itself that seroiusly. The bit about the snipers doesn't even seem to be central to the plot.

Considering that the director and one of the writers were involved in producing The Trailer Park Boys and the fact that the synopsis sounds something that Hunter S. Thompson might have dreamed (hallucinated??)  I think you may be right.

P.S. Where did you watch the trailer?? There's nothing on the IMDb site.

Try the link in the OP.

Based on that trailer, I'd say this movie is about the war in Afghanistan the way Lethal Weapon is a movie about detective work.

Just watched the trailer, and I still can't discern whether it's a comedy, or a drama.... ???

Rheostatic said:
... The bit about the snipers doesn't even seem to be central to the plot.

If it's a a comedy/adventure movie using the "sniper/bodies...etc" plot as a vehicle to just move the show along, without any broad political statements, maybe it won't be poop.

I know I'll be keeping my eye on IMDB after TIFF to see what people are saying....

I'll reserve judgment until I've see the actual full release.

Pretty hard to discern motive and intent from a flimsy press release and a single half assed trailer. People just need to chillax.

From the trailer though, it does look pretty entertaining.

All,

I was contacted by Nigel Hunt of the CBC today, who is looking to speak to someone with a military background about this film. His message follows:

CBC tv news producer working on a story planned for this Monday Sept 12 on the new Canadian movie Afghan Luke that is premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival. Seeking someone military or former military who has either seen an advance screening or at least the trailer and can comment on camera in a brief tv interview on what they think of the film and/or premise.

please contact asap: Nigel.Hunt [at] cbc.ca

Mike Bobbitt said:
All,

I was contacted by Nigel Hunt of the CBC today, who is looking to speak to someone with a military background about this film. His message follows:

CBC tv news producer working on a story planned for this Monday Sept 12 on the new Canadian movie Afghan Luke that is premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival. Seeking someone military or former military who has either seen an advance screening or at least the trailer and can comment on camera in a brief tv interview on what they think of the film and/or premise.

please contact asap: Nigel.Hunt [at] cbc.ca

C'mon Mike  ::) It isn't even remotely close to April 1st 8)

Mike Bobbitt said:
Here's a journalist willing to put an awful lot of faith in an opinion gleaned from as little as 2 minutes of a 100 minute film.  Something to remember when reading any story containing comments from someone asked to comment on something?

Back