• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force major charged in firearms bust in Kingston, Petawawa

You don't have to convince me. It's the Maritime wife who has trouble leaving the maritimes that's holding us back lol.

If I were single I would disappeared a long time ago lol.
Three types of people from the Maritimes

Cant wait to get the fuck outta there, will never move back (Me)
Move for economic reasons, spend time away pining, move back (sister)
Can't even conceive of leaving the Maritimes (other sister)

What about "Waiting for undersea coal mining and wooden ship building to make a big comeback while Walting about being Scottish" ;)

Ignorance/Arrogance .... two Apples from the same tree 😉
I don't necessarily agree. Ignorance is simply not knowing; arrogance is knowing but unilaterally deciding that the rules don't apply to you.

Although Haggis boiled the issue down correctly, I've done moves from as far back as the '70s up until a couple of months ago. The list of prohibited items is virtually unchanged for in-province moves and I have to believe international move would be, at least, as strict. Sure, the company or crew will often make their own call. I've had a motorcycle and lawn tractor tossed in the back before.

Different area code, same matrix - well summed up!
That can apply to just about any area. People leave sunny, warm, sand covered places that other people spend thousands to go visit.

The best place you can be is where you can have a good life; but that place is different for all of us.

Different area code, same matrix - well summed up!

The best place you can be is where you can have a good life; but that place is different for all of us.

My wife is a U.S. citizen. When I retired fifteen years ago, I mentioned I might be open to re-locating to Arizona. Simply because I tolerate heat - dry heat - better than cold.

But, she said no dice.

My wife is a U.S. citizen. When I retired fifteen years ago, I mentioned I might be open to re-locating to Arizona. Simply because I tolerate heat - dry heat - better than cold.

But, she said no dice.

The scuba diving in Arizona is crappy, so I understand where she's coming from ;)

Not commenting with any specificity on this case, just general insight: with regards to certain firearms/device charges, charges are often held from being laid until a forensic firearms laboratory has the opportunity to examine the purported firearms and devices, test them, and certify their characteristics and capabilities. For example: any one of us can jam thirty rounds into a C7 magazine, but for prosecutorial purposes a forensic firearms examiner would verify that a magazine could hold a certain number of rounds of a given caliber and feed them into a firearm. Or that a given firearm does in fact chamber and fire a cartridge of a certain caliber, and that a bullet thereby fires.

Like any lab process there’s a lot of demand for this, and so there’s some delay. I won’t speculate as to whether any additional charges will be added here, but if later we were to see charges added related to certain types of firearms or devices, I wouldn’t find that delay weird. An initial arrest and laying of charges for bail purposes doesn’t preclude adding or dropping charges later.

This guy is probably just guilty of being ignorant and he is going to end up spending a bucket load of money in Court as a result.
It‘s hard to imagine a 4-time Queen’s Medalist being ignorant of firearms regulations. Arrogance, yes, but ignorance is unlikely. But I agree on the bucket load of money this is going to cost him. If I were him, I’d also be careful about ever going back to the USA — he might be looking at violations of US export laws, as well as ITAR.

It‘s hard to imagine a 4-time Queen’s Medalist being ignorant of firearms regulations. Arrogance, yes, but ignorance is unlikely. But I agree on the bucket load of money this is going to cost him. If I were him, I’d also be careful about ever going back to the USA — he might be looking at violations of US export laws, as well as ITAR.
Small Arms are off ITAR now, so no violations there (only suppressors and automatic weapons/parts remain for small arms).
Export would be EA-99, but as personally owned items for a repatriation move the owner is exempt on that.

It‘s hard to imagine a 4-time Queen’s Medalist being ignorant of firearms regulations.
I don't buy this for a mintue.
If I were him, I’d also be careful about ever going back to the USA — he might be looking at violations of US export laws, as well as ITAR.
The news article said BATF was involved in the investigation. There is cross border intelligence sharing on gun smuggling (and other stuff). You can bet he's on the USCBP's RADAR for this and could be subjected to future export checks.

Not commenting with any specificity on this case, just general insight: with regards to certain firearms/device charges, charges are often held from being laid until a forensic firearms laboratory has the opportunity to examine the purported firearms and devices, test them, and certify their characteristics and capabilities. For example: any one of us can jam thirty rounds into a C7 magazine, but for prosecutorial purposes a forensic firearms examiner would verify that a magazine could hold a certain number of rounds of a given caliber and feed them into a firearm. Or that a given firearm does in fact chamber and fire a cartridge of a certain caliber, and that a bullet thereby fires.

Like any lab process there’s a lot of demand for this, and so there’s some delay. I won’t speculate as to whether any additional charges will be added here, but if later we were to see charges added related to certain types of firearms or devices, I wouldn’t find that delay weird. An initial arrest and laying of charges for bail purposes doesn’t preclude adding or dropping charges later.
The Lab would also assess the ease of which these firearms could be converted to fully automatic. As most firearms allowed to be sold in Canada cannot be converted easily. Otherwise they are prohibited. Like you said additional charges could happen after an examination.

What about "Waiting for undersea coal mining and wooden ship building to make a big comeback while Walting about being Scottish" ;)
For some people this punches the heart and for others, it could actually be true.

I think that's probably the same for anywhere you are from; I'm number 1 (from southern ON), my wife is 2, and a lot of my friends are 3.

There is probably type 4 though; Can't be bothered to go anywhere else and are basically stuck. If they move somewhere it's because someone else tells them to.

You really need to stay in your lane.

Legally every firearms purchaser needs to show ID, and a 4473 processed to acquire a firearm at a gunshow in Colorado, and all transfers need to go through an FFL.

Not to say that some vendors don’t do that, but if they do, they are facing some felony charges.
Sure we know what legally they need to do and what the consequences are in the US. The reality is quite different in some places. I can tell you from experience getting offered AKs and ARs with ammo and no ID check at gunshows and gunshow parking lots in different states. Gunshows with upwards of 2000 tables .People would walk around with a firearm slung with a price on the barrel. Being curious I asked did we need to show ID, are you terriost? Nope here you go. It was potentially that easy. Clearly never purchased but is a known grey area. I doubt if he brought some of those rifles from a FFL.

The Lab would also assess the ease of which these firearms could be converted to fully automatic. As most firearms allowed to be sold in Canada cannot be converted easily. Otherwise they are prohibited. Like you said additional charges could happen after an examination.
There will also be a determination of any of those long guns are on the "Scared Liberal May Day List", whether they can be converted or not.

As of October 2022, none of the handguns would have been allowed in unless previously registered in Canada and then only with an import permit from GAC.

There is also a limit on the amount of ammunition that can be imported at one time. I believe it's 5k rounds.

In a semi related note, remember a friend coming back from an extended course in the UK packing up some duty free booze in his luggage without declaring them. One of the bottles broke, bag got searched, got hit with a big fine from the CBSA. Because it was a trip on the DND dime, he got nailed with something on top of that in a summary trial as well. When it was all said and done those couple of bottles, that probably would have cost less then $80 to buy here, or a fraction to declare in taxes, cost him something like $2k. Also was a huge admin nightmare and general pain in the ass.

Took that as a good object lesson that low level smuggling just isn't worth it if you get caught, which seems like a small version compared to this.

(And in a probably unintended take away, if you are going to do something that risks a felony charge, go big. No point taking big life changing risk unless you can get some kind of life changing reward).

Curious to see how this one shakes out, but even if it's an admin error somehow, probably not worth it.

Arrogant officers in the CAF? No, no thst doesn't happen, clearly the he forgot to put a 10 instead of a 1 on his paperwork for declaration.
general-melchett-baah-baah.gif

In a semi related note, remember a friend coming back from an extended course in the UK packing up some duty free booze in his luggage without declaring them. One of the bottles broke, bag got searched, got hit with a big fine from the CBSA. Because it was a trip on the DND dime, he got nailed with something on top of that in a summary trial as well. When it was all said and done those couple of bottles, that probably would have cost less then $80 to buy here, or a fraction to declare in taxes, cost him something like $2k. Also was a huge admin nightmare and general pain in the ass.
After an "extended course" the booze would have probably fallen within his personal exemption. The chances are good that if he'd declared them he may not have paid anything at all on the over exemption (if any) booze, depending on the quantity. And if the port is busy, well, then "welcome back to Canada, have a nice day."
Curious to see how this one shakes out, but even if it's an admin error somehow, probably not worth it.
As a skilled competitive shooter, I'll hazard a guess that he has probably traveled OUTCAN with firearms before. If so, that's a pretty glaring "admin error".

Back