• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force major charged in firearms bust in Kingston, Petawawa

After an "extended course" the booze would have probably fallen within his personal exemption. The chances are good that if he'd declared them he may not have paid anything at all on the over exemption (if any) booze, depending on the quantity. And if the port is busy, well, then "welcome back to Canada, have a nice day."

As a skilled competitive shooter, I'll hazard a guess that he has probably traveled OUTCAN with firearms before. If so, that's a pretty glaring "admin error".

And if any of those magazines were over legal capacity, that’s not even close to a new rule. “Stuff got reclassified while I was OUTCAN” won’t go very far in that case.

After an "extended course" the booze would have probably fallen within his personal exemption. The chances are good that if he'd declared them he may not have paid anything at all on the over exemption (if any) booze, depending on the quantity. And if the port is busy, well, then "welcome back to Canada, have a nice day."

As a skilled competitive shooter, I'll hazard a guess that he has probably traveled OUTCAN with firearms before. If so, that's a pretty glaring "admin error".
I think it was a bit over; but after a 5 month posting to the UK it would have been not much above the exemption limit, so likely would have been much, if anything. It was actually on a normal commercial flight when we came back through into Halifax. It's an unusual course posting in that it's Outcan for 5 months, on some kind of restricted posting with no HG&E or family, but you got foreign service pay and access to duty free via the embassy every month. Even if he had paid full duties, what he actually paid was something like 500+ per bottle in fines, so definitely a cheaper option. Was a one off, and I guess a good thing to learn as a subbie not yet at OFP then a senior officer.

Also agree this would be a pretty big 'admin error' but imagine more details will come out in the wash.

I think we have all started to lose the point of the story a bit. It doesn't matter if it was firearms, cigarettes, alcohol, electronics or clothing. The real point here is a RCAF major, if the we take the details of the story as true, intentionally SMUGGLED items across the border without declaring them with the intention of either not paying duties or surrendering items not allowed for entry.

I hope that the inspection of his F&E by customs was as a result of a tip from US officials, and not just a random check that got lucky. Because if it was a random check, I would expect many more families to expect delays in their shipments as a result. From previous experience, once they find something in one set of circumstances, they crack down hard for a while, making everyone suffer for the sins of a few. When I came back from outcan, the customs lock on my container hadn't even been removed before delivery, and we had to search to find a something to cut it off with.

I think we have all started to lose the point of the story a bit. It doesn't matter if it was firearms, cigarettes, alcohol, electronics or clothing. The real point here is a RCAF major, if the we take the details of the story as true, intentionally SMUGGLED items across the border without declaring them with the intention of either not paying duties or surrendering items not allowed for entry.

I hope that the inspection of his F&E by customs was as a result of a tip from US officials, and not just a random check that got lucky. Because if it was a random check, I would expect many more families to expect delays in their shipments as a result. From previous experience, once they find something in one set of circumstances, they crack down hard for a while, making everyone suffer for the sins of a few. When I came back from outcan, the customs lock on my container hadn't even been removed before delivery, and we had to search to find a something to cut it off with.
Why would US Customs have anything to do with it? Nothing in that was prohibited here or to be shipped to Canada from here.

In the grand scheme of crimes this was minor, as the only real victim is the owner who had been screwed over by a Government that has banned these items with no legitimate due process.

In the grand scheme of crimes this was minor, as the only real victim is the owner who had been screwed over by a Government that has banned these items with no legitimate due process.

Oh give me a f*cking break. I can't believe people are defending this guy. 🙄

Oh give me a f*cking break. I can't believe people are defending this guy. 🙄
My point is it’s a crime with no violence and no damage to others.

I’m not disagreeing that it is a crime, my point is solely that I find it sad that the Government in Canada has the ability to criminalize sporting firearms without any legitimate justification.

I’m not disagreeing that it is a crime, my point is solely that I find it sad that the Government in Canada has the ability to criminalize sporting firearms without any legitimate justification.

None of the charges are for prohibited weapons. This has nothing to do with the Canadian gov't, and everything to do with someone who tried to cheat the system and got caught doing it.

And this was the point I was making. It isn't about firearms. It is about smuggling items across international borders. It could have been 3 dozen tvs and 45000 BBQ lighters, the point is he tried, allegedly, to get them across the border without declaring them. And we don't know if they were all for personal use, or he planned on selling them once on Canada. If you are willing to ignore one set of rules, why not another.

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

It‘s hard to imagine a 4-time Queen’s Medalist being ignorant of firearms regulations. Arrogance, yes, but ignorance is unlikely. But I agree on the bucket load of money this is going to cost him. If I were him, I’d also be careful about ever going back to the USA — he might be looking at violations of US export laws, as well as ITAR.
Was thinking this as well.

Most rec shooters know that despite ammo being cheaper in the US, if you buy it there, you have to shoot it there, otherwise the BATF will have an issue the minute you go to come home ( export).

CBSA doesn't care though...

Why would US Customs have anything to do with it? Nothing in that was prohibited here or to be shipped to Canada from here.
A tip could have come from the securiry department of the shipper as well. "Hey, CBSA, we have a shipment from the US with some declared firearms that seems unusually heavy." Sometimes, it's that simple.
As a commissioned officer, he doesn't get to chose which laws he will obey or not.

As I mentioned earlier, the charges so far are related to the alleged smuggling only. The method of concealment is as yet unknown, but simply not making a full and truthful declaration is still an offence.

We are all surmising based on a very limited set of facts available to the public.

Perhaps we should just... Watch and shoot.

That seems to be the 'gun slinger' culture in the RCAF Officers' Mess these days ;)

CFB Trenton colonel had revolver, rifle on boat, police allege​

Col. Leif Dahl was removed from command of CFB Trenton after he was charged​

You don't have to convince me. It's the Maritime wife who has trouble leaving the maritimes that's holding us back lol.

If I were single I would disappeared a long time ago lol.
Go to Maine, it's close enough to being a part of the Maritimes.

Canada is full of people who value excess government overreach, in many areas of life.

And this was the point I was making. It isn't about firearms. It is about smuggling items across international borders. It could have been 3 dozen tvs and 45000 BBQ lighters, the point is he tried, allegedly, to get them across the border without declaring them. And we don't know if they were all for personal use, or he planned on selling them once on Canada. If you are willing to ignore one set of rules, why not another.
Meanwhile about 60%+ of Canadians crossing the border are breaking the law to one extent or another.

Meanwhile about 60%+ of Canadians crossing the border are breaking the law to one extent or another.
Well I guess I just don't expect that from a higher-ranked presumed leader of men/women in our armed service. Don't 'they' get some sort of paper that says they won't be pathetic dirtbags???

And I'd be just as hard on NCM/ LEO types also, just in case I hurt some feelings.....

Back