• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All eyes on Ignatieff

Interesting perspective from Edward Campbell. I read Potter on Ignatieff and just laughed. The
Liberal Party has already decided that Professor Ignatieff will be a candidate in a Toronto riding
(downtown, central I would think). Potter is already caught up in the clever Liberal apparatus
spin, to focus Ignatieff and cause comment in the main stream, Toronto (and Liberal) media.
The replacements for PM Paul Martin (don't call me Paulie) potentially are Ignatieff, Alan Rock
and possibly Scott Brison MP, who will be appointed Deputy PM it is felt. Wrote to a Liberal
Senator the other day and pointed out that if Brison became Party Leader and later PM, he
would be the first openly homosexual Prime Minister. Supposing, thanks to the Martin government
he got married to say, Harold, or Ralph or Irving - his formal public introduction would be "the
Right Honorable Scott Brison PM of Canada and his wife (Harold, or Ralph or Irving) - meaning that
the Liberal government could be laughed out of existance. MacLeod

There is a brief article in today's Ottawa Citizen re: Michael Ignatief's latest remarks - at the annual Beatty Memorial Lecture as part of McGill University's homecoming events for alumni,

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=505aa16a-f307-4dd8-972b-c56c13103165
The Montreal Gazette

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Mr. Ignatief, director of the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government, has been discussed as a potential federal Liberal leader since he gave a keynote address to a party policy meeting last March. He dismissed such talk yesterday as "presumptuous," given his lack of political experience.

"Let's just take it off the table," he said.

Mr. Ignatief, who is to return to Canada in January as a visiting professor at the University of Toronto, said Canada needs to remain strong in order to have a voice in international affairs.

"Strength comes from capability, not from sermons," he said.

He urged Canadians not to indulge their tendency toward wagging their collective finger at the Americans while avoiding the cost of international action.

"Our relationship with the United States works as long as we do not act like free riders," he said.

"If we fail to pay our fair share, and reserve the right to deliver little lectures, we'll be dismissed as boy scouts."

However, he added, if the U.S. fails to lead collective efforts to address global inequity, Canada should create alliances with other countries that will: "We cannot live in a world this disordered, and we cannot keep it at a safe distance."

Still, Mr. Ignatief said, Canada matters less for its actions around the world than for its example as a liberal democracy struggling to build a society that includes all communities.

"We are a blessed country," he said, "and if we can't make this work, there is not a country in the world that can."

© The Ottawa Citizen 2005
Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

While I do not expect Ignatief to become our PM I am glad to see that he has achieved star status in the party - similar to the status enjoyed by Tom Kent when he (through his masters Lester Pearson and Pierre Trudeau) caused Canada to lurch to the Left back in the '60s and '70s.  Ignatief talks sense - not popular sense, not consistent sense but, on foreign and defence policy, sense all the same.

Ignatief understand and is not afraid to say that Canada quite simply does not matter in the world.  We are, by almost every fair and sensible measure, one of the top ten countries in the world.  Using almost all those same sensible measures we will remain in the top 10% even after China and India and (maybe but less likely) a few others surpass us in most of those measures.  The sad fact is, however, that due to 40 years of inept and sometimes corrupt leadership we have managed to turn a place in the top ten into irrelevance.  We may be the moral super-power, waggling a stern finger at Australia, Britain and, especially America but no one listens - not even the has been French and Russians or the never will be Arabs and Africans; out voice is a fruity whisper and no one cares, unless we send money.  Bribery is a useful adjunct to foreign policy but in Canada it is our only tool.

Oh, well, we are, by now, conditioned (in the Pavlovian manner) to understand, when the election bell sounds, that Martin + Layton = good and Harper = bad - we salivate on command.

Canada began a steady withdrawal from the world and from geo-political relevance in 1968; it slowed, but did not stop, in the '80s but accelerated in the '90s and now it goes on apace as politicians buy votes rather than lead.

The root cause of our decline and fall is simple: our basic public education system has declined markedly and measurably in the past 50 years; we now have ill-educated teachers perpetuating the sins visited upon them 30 years ago.  Canadians are so full of crap which now passes as knowledge that they believe that wishes equal facts and that 'the world needs more Canada.'

Maybe Ignatief can make some, a few Canadians rethink their positions and maybe those few Canadians can reform the political process because only a tiny minority of Canadians actually participate in the political process so the people the other 31,500,0009 don't matter - a handful of Liberals can and will decide what Canada will become, if it survives at all.  I hope some of them are listening to Ignatief; I fear more are listening to Coderre and Cauchon and their fellow travelers in which case the country will crumble and fall.

Very interestng thread.  I can say that Ignatieff would get Aboriginal support in Canada, not because Phil Fontaine and most of the AFN are Liberals, but because he has had past experience working with the Cree in Quebec and very eloquently summarizes their plight in one of his books....  An interenationally known advocate of human rights would steal votes from the left and right (I include myself in that catagory, mind you I would never support the Conservatives with Tom Flannigan in his current role with Steven Harper). 

I would wager that there are a shit load of Canadians that feel the way I do.  We want Canada to have a military that can travel the world and kick ass, for goodness sake, for the sake of something 'higher'.  Ignatieff had to have been influenced by Samantha Powers, also at the Carr Centre for Human rights at Harvard, and her book on Genocide that encourages the U.S. and others to act to stop genocide and human rights abuses.  If he is thinking of teh 'greater good' then he must realize that to be in a position of power in Canada would allow him to sway the country to act to prevent human rights abuses.  This is naively assuming that he is being altruistic I know. 

I would be interested to see if others think that the procurements and teh new shape that the CF is taking are a result of Ignatieff's influence on Martin and gang.

To the point, he has my vote if he runs.  As long as the Liberal party doesnt recruit some corrupt wife beater Chief to run from my riding, as they did last time.

UberCree said:
mind you I would never support the Conservatives with Tom Flannigan in his current role with Steven Harper).

Not a fan of First Nations, Second Thoughts?

I may agree with some of its points but it is not in my self interest to support it or him as you can guess. ;D  I enjoy the $5.00 a year I get from the federal goverenment.
Thats at least 1 milliion voters (Aboriginal population plus any that sympathize wth Ab rights) the C's lose by having Flannigan on board.  How many do they gain by adopting such extremst policies ... that have been supported by supreme court decisions ... none.  They just solidify the old guard of the party.
Not smart.

Sorry for the tangent.  Mind you ths was related to the issue we were discussng on SOCNET and emailed Ignatteff about.  He had an interesting response.  It had to do with Treaty rights vs. CDN human rights charters vs. Int. Human rights and which supercedes which.

Sua Sponte

That was a good discussion and I think we both learned a bit; I won't derail this thread.

Cheers,
Infanteer

A bit of an update - Michael Ignatieff has announced that he will run for election in the riding of Etobicoke Lakeshore.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1133133016624&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/28/star-candidates.html

With the writ to be dropped in the next hour, the campaign will be on.   Wonder if he'd get a Cabinet seat if the Liberals get another mandate?

Here's why I would support Ignatieff as PM.

"Good public policy is not a politics of propaganda and national self-delusion. It is an attempt to match our national self-image and our capabilities as a people. The present government is struggling to close the gap between pretending to be a good international citizen and failing to fund our foreign aid commitments; pretending to be a peacekeeper and failing to fund our defence establishment; pretending to be green and failing to fund our investment in environmental sustainability.

It is as if we conquered the deficit in the 1990s, at the price of starving those areas of core responsibility - foreign and defence policy - that are essential to the maintenance of federal authority at home and abroad. The government is now putting this right, and it is to be hoped that, pressures of minority government notwithstanding, they will stay the course.

A strong foreign policy is essential to the maintenance of national unity at home, just as a strong federal government at home is critical to our influence abroad.

If we are committed to a "responsibility to protect" strangers from genocide and ethnic cleansing, and fail to fund, equip and deploy a combat capable military, it is not just our foreign partners who will start to think we are a joke. Our fellow citizens will lose confidence in their country."

http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/ksgnews/Features/opeds/060205_ignatieff.htm

I suppose now we'll see how all his rhetoric works out in real world politics.  I would guess he'll get a top cabinet pos'n if elected.

I'd vote for him - his books have cool titles.   Maybe we'll see an internal coup in the Liberal Party if Martin fails to win a majority?

Is suspect I share some of Ignatieff's views on many issues.

I hope he, like me, share's the Globe and Mail editorialist's views as expressed below.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051129/EIGNATIEFF29/TPComment/?query=Arranging+for+Ignatieff
Arranging for Ignatieff

Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Posted at 1:48 PM EST

There is a time-honoured tradition in Canadian politics of ensuring that a star recruit does not have to endure the trials and tribulations of a messy nomination battle. The party brain trust would pick a relatively safe riding for the big name and warn off potential challengers. In certain cases, the leader would simply exercise his prerogative to appoint the parachutist, bypassing the nomination process. But something else entirely has happened with the Liberal nomination in the west Toronto riding of Etobicoke-Lakeshore, something that smells to high heaven and makes a mockery of Prime Minister Paul Martin's claims to be a true believer in party democracy.

Jean Augustine, the 68-year-old Liberal MP for the riding and a deputy speaker of the House of Commons, announced she was retiring after 12 years. The first black woman elected to Parliament informed the party on Friday and threw her support behind Michael Ignatieff, a high-profile academic. The Liberals had been shopping for a suitable Toronto constituency for him. The head of the local riding association, Ron Chyczij, says he learned of the decision late on Friday and that a deadline of 5 p.m. Saturday had been set for other nominations. What followed sounds like something out of a slapstick comedy. But its repercussions are not funny.

Mr. Chyczij and another potential candidate managed to complete the nomination paperwork and round up the requisite signatures of supporters before the ridiculously tight deadline, but found the doors locked when they arrived at party headquarters. They ended up jamming them under the door. Yesterday, the party proclaimed Mr. Ignatieff as the candidate by acclamation. Mr. Chyczij's application was rejected because he had failed to resign from the riding executive. The other application was refused because the would-be nominee was not listed as a party member, although the association says he paid his dues earlier this month.

Some members of the riding's large Ukrainian-Canadian population are up in arms over Mr. Ignatieff's nomination because they have misread or failed to understand his writings on Ukrainian nationalism. What they should be up in arms about is the faux democracy that has shunted aside a popular sitting member and left them without any real voice in the selection of her potential replacement.

Mr. Ignatieff is a renowned author who was wooed by the Liberal establishment. A visiting professorship was opened for him at the University of Toronto's Munk Centre for International Studies. As someone with a keen intellect, enormous passion for Canada and an eagerness to make an important contribution to the public discourse, Mr. Ignatieff is just the sort of person who should be encouraged to enter politics. But the way the Liberal Party insiders have handled his nomination speaks more of grubby backroom politics than of high-minded principles.

Mr. Martin has made much of his desire to democratize the process of selecting candidates and to make it more open and accessible. Before the last election, he refused to protect incumbent Liberals from challenges and said he would not designate candidates or interfere in riding nominations. "Essentially we are a democratic party, and a democratic party says you win your nomination," he declared.

But he subsequently used his prerogative to appoint a handful of candidates in Western Canada, and several others faced no opposition. Now we have the spectacle of a glamorous candidate acclaimed through a phony process of the very kind Mr. Ignatieff, an ardent proponent of liberal democratic freedoms, has railed against elsewhere in the world. It would have been more honest for the Prime Minister to have appointed Mr. Ignatieff than for the party to pretend that democracy was at work in Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

© Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

It would be hilarious if this was the reason the Liberals get knocked off in that riding!

Won't be so hilarious if they lose to the NDP, which IMO is likely to happen.

I just watched a video/documentary narrated by Ignatieff on wendsday in my A Geography of the Former Soviet Republics class. It was circa fall of the Soviet Union. I know why the Ukrainians in Toronto (or any Ukrainian for that matter) would vote for him.

You know why they would or wouldn't?  They were initially protesting against him because of a quote taken out of context in one of his books.
For how many books the guy has written there must be some major scanning going on right now to try to find tidbits and quotes that can be used against him.  One thing I do like about him is that his books come out only in paperback.  He bypasses the hardcover, wait paperback BS and gets them out to the masses cheaply.
He seems to publish a book a year at a minimum and at least a major article a month.  He has to be Harvard's most prolific writer.

Won't be so hilarious if they lose to the NDP, which IMO is likely to happen.

Whiskey - as an arch-conservative myself (well maybe just a CPC supporter of convenience) I would not be at all bothered if the NDP took that riding - or for that matter many of the other Liberal "bastions".  In fact I would be right chuffed to see a parliament with NO Liberals but instead 4 parties driven by policy and principle - failing that I will accept a parliament of CPC, NDP, BQ and Greens.

Humour aside - it would be nice to have debates and decisions in the open, not behind closed doors with only "right answers" being trotted out for peddling to the masses.

Macleans

January 18, 2006

It's like a classical pianist at the burlesque

Intellectual colossus Michael Ignatieff downsizes himself to Liberal talking points

MARK STEYN

"We need troops, warriors and chieftains," Michael Ignatieff, parliamentary candidate for Etobicoke-Lakeshore, told a Liberal fundraiser the other day. Don't worry, he doesn't mean real troops, with guns and uniforms and so forth, like Scary Stephen wants to introduce to our cities, according to one of the wackier Grit attack ads. Professor Ignatieff was speaking metaphorically, as Liberals usually turn out to be when they get a whiff of cordite in their rhetoric. He only wants metaphorical troops on the streets of Quebec -- to save federalism, yet again -- though why he added "warriors and chieftains" is a puzzle. It makes the province sound like Afghanistan: "U.S. troops today brokered a tentative ceasefire between Uzbek warriors and Pushtun chieftains."

But perhaps that's the point. As his NDP rival in Etobicoke likes to point out, Professor Ignatieff has been out of the country for 27 years and he's "out of touch" with Canada. He's not up to speed, if that's the expression. When you've been wrestling with the Balkans and Iraq across the lecture halls at Harvard and the talk-show sofas of the BBC for two decades, it can't be easy bringing yourself down to speed for an election about federal daycare. Ignatieff's been doing his best this election campaign but it's like watching a classical pianist accompany the clowns in a burlesque house.

Three years ago, the great man was all over the (international) TV networks and papers arguing in favour of war with Iraq. He framed it in small-l liberal terms: Imagine one day being able to go to Baghdad and sit in a café drinking coffee with Iraqi poets and intellectuals freely discussing the affairs of the world. Well, then, how to make it happen? In his 2001 book Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry, he spells it out bluntly: "There are no peaceful diplomatic remedies when we are dealing with a Hitler, a Stalin, a Saddam, or a Pol Pot."

Actually, he doesn't spell it out that bluntly. Almost any Ignatieff tome spends most of its time swathing an issue in philosophical objections and recoiling from its own logic before eventually, belatedly coming to the right conclusion. Thus, his 2004 book argues that Western democracies "must not shrink from the use of violence," but the very title captures the self-torture required to reach his position -- The Lesser Evil -- and, by the time he's justified the use of violence, he sounds too exhausted to get up to any. Nonetheless, the fact remains that, if he'd come home to join the Conservative party, the Liberals would be running their current Harper attack ads against him: "Michael Ignatieff would have sent Canadian troops to Iraq!"

Well, American and British troops.

Nonetheless, as agonized as his liberal warmongering is, it's livelier than anything we're likely to hear from him if he's elected as MP for Etobicoke and starts working on his leadership campaign: shrinking from violence is one thing, shrinking to complacent Trudeaupian preening is quite another. The clarifying act of Ignatieff's adult life was the Bosnian war. He spent the eighties chugging through affable chit-chat on the BBC discussing the issues of the age as grand abstractions. But then Yugoslavia collapsed and it wasn't so abstract anymore: the European Union, with pretensions to "moral" superpower status, did nothing as tens of thousands of corpses piled up on its borders. If he disliked the EU policy on the Balkans -- hold committee meetings until everyone's dead -- he wasn't entirely comfortable with the Clinton approach, either. "War ceases to be just when it becomes a turkey shoot," he wrote of Kosovo in Virtual War. "America and its NATO allies fought a virtual war because they were neither ready nor willing to fight a real one."

That's a fair point. Yet it's the case that Ignatieff was most gung-ho on Iraq when it was a "turkey shoot" and, like most of the left's moulting hawks, began back-pedalling once it became a "real one," with men dying in hard, bloody, messy, ugly ways in Ramadi and Fallujah. As an armchair warrior, I'd be reluctant to share an armchair foxhole with Ignatieff and Co. after the last couple of years. The war he's become so tentative and equivocal on is exactly the kind he spent most of the nineties arguing the moral purpose of.

In that sense, of all the many volumes Bosnia brought forth from Ignatieff -- Blood and Belonging: Journeys into the New Nationalism; The Warrior's Honour: Ethnic War and the Modern Conscience; Empire Lite: Nation-Building in Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and a few others I may have forgotten -- of all that vast groaning righteous bookshelf, the most revealing is the slender novel Charlie Johnson in the Flames (2003). The eponymous Charlie is a jaded American hack in the Balkans, the eponymous flames are on a young woman in an unimportant village:

"She was screaming at the commander, fists raised, when the gasoline arced over her and the lighter touched her hem. She went up with her house, an orange-black spinnaker of flame catching the wind . . . She was running along the road towards them, while the commander watched her go, and stayed the mercy of an executioner's bullet. Then he climbed into the half-track, reversing hard . . . "

In a quarter century on the war beat, Charlie Johnson's seen it all but he hasn't seen that. And, after burning himself trying to get the woman to hospital, he gets back to London and goes through the raw footage frame by frame:

"'Look at this.' He handed Shandler the picture: a man of about forty, dark hair, trim and tight inside his uniform, one hand outstretched, with the lighter at the end of it.

"'So?'

"'I want to find him.'"

What a crackerjack opening for a revenge thriller, eh? The hitherto passive observer of the world's pathologies plunges into the thick of it, pulls the old Count of Monte Cristo routine and hunts down the Serb colonel with the lighter.

Except, of course, that with an anguished progressive's revenge thriller nothing's quite that straightforward. Ignatieff has a wonderful journalistic eye for the startling detail, the telling banality, and he understands what it means. The BBC's foreign affairs editor, John Simpson, described Charlie Johnson as "the best contemporary account of what it is really like to be faced with the intense moral dilemmas of modern conflict." But, of course, a monster who lights up a young woman doesn't pose a "moral dilemma" so much as a practical one: Is feeble social-democratic transnational passivism capable of rousing itself to act, as the EU so conspicuously failed to do in the Balkans? Ignatieff's novel certainly has "a compressed cinematic brilliance" (The Sunday Telegraph) but by the time the protagonist brings himself to take action it's too late, too poorly thought out and is in the end a gesture of pointless moral narcissism. The novelist may have captured the practical uselessness of the liberal "conscience" better than he suspected. As The Scotsman's Alan Taylor once wrote, "Michael Ignatieff wailed like the intellectual banshee he is."

I've met him just once, a decade or so back, at a dinner party in London for Canadian expats. He left early, telling me he found all this talk of Canada frankly rather parochial. I wonder how he feels after two months on the campaign trail. For all his banshee wailing, he at least spent the last decade trying to persuade the dessicated Western left to confront the realities of our time. He won't be doing much of that as our Trudeau-in-waiting. It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the world, but for Etobicoke-Lakeshore and a mid-level cabinet post?

Until this last month, when the intellectual colossus downsized himself to Liberal talking points, the Ignatieff low point was widely agreed to be his performance in the wake of the Princess of Wales' death. "Twenty-four hours ago I couldn't imagine I would say this," he choked up to British TV viewers. "A light has left the world." That's how I feel about Ignatieff: a light has left the world to flicker instead over a party that explicitly rejects the moral doctrine he's formulated and, indeed, regards morality as no more than self-congratulation: feeling good about feeling bad. Goodbye, England's rose. Hello, Ottawa's narcissi.

Prospective Liberal Part of Canada leadership candidate and, therefore, prospective Prime Minister of Canada Michael Ignatieff has reaffirmed a tried and tired but true Canadian political maxim: leadership means finding out where the people are going and then rushing to the head of the line to lead them there.

He said, according to the Globe and Mail: ” "[Mr. Chrétien] … felt that the country was against it, and if he took the country in, it would divide the country. And those are the kinds of responsible decisions a prime minister has to make."  In other words we must still support Prime Minister King’s decision (in 1939) to send the SS St. Louis on its sad, deadly way back to Germany because, in his own words, ”This is no time for Canada to act on humanitarian grounds … Canada must be guided by realities and political considerations." Those realities were that many, likely most Canadians opposed any Jewish immigration – even though, only months before, the Globe and Mail had made Kristallnacht and the Nazi campaign against the Jews – for the ‘crime’ of being Jews – front page news in Canada.  The opposition was strongest in Quebec and Orange Lodge dominated Southern Ontario, the Liberal’s power base.

Not too long ago Warren G. Bennis (Harvard, MIT, USC) said: “Leaders are people who do the right thing; managers are people who do things right.”  This has become somewhat axiomatic in military circles; it is frequently cited to describe the difference between command decision and the hard, detailed work of the staff to put flesh on the bare bones of the commander’s plan.  But most soldiers understand that it means something else too.  It means that leaders do not shirk their duties, not even when their duties are hard and dangerous and, especially, not just because their duty is likely to be unpopular.

Michael Ignatieff will have endeared himself to legions of Canadians: to those who put great value in Canadian pragmatism in all things controversial.  He sets out the fundamental difference between Churchill (a lion in 1939, snarling defiance at Nazi Germany and at British appeasers, too) and King (as always, a pragmatist in 1939, weighing each act of leadership on the scales of domestic ‘realities and political considerations’ ).

I would argue that Jean Chrétien did the right thing but for he wrong reasons – which may be worse than doing the wrong thing or, even, dithering.  Even though I, personally, would have opted for war in Iraq – to stay onside with out best friend, good neighbour and all-important trading partner, it is likely that had I (or Stephen Harper) been making the decisions we would have ended up doing little good in or (mostly, because our major contribution would likely have been naval) around Iraq and we would, equally likely, have been unable to go to Kabul (limited value, but good publicity) and, now, Kandahar - where we can, arguably, make a major contribution to regional and global stability (by denying the Arab extremist/fundamentalist Islamic movements a secure base from which to continue their was on the West) and to our own international leadership aspirations.  Chrétien and Martin stumbled into the right thing – I’m glad we made it but I would have been really pleased if someone, anyone had led Canada in the right direction.

Many, including Michael Ignatieff, one supposes, will argue that pragmatism usually gets to something like the right answer while allowing this diverse country to get its ideas together, first – that must be why we welcomed Jewish refugees after we knew all about Auschwitz, six years and six million too late.

</rant>

Steven Harper may not be a "smart" as Ignatieff, but he has demonstrated he is very smart indeed when it comes to politics. If the media annoints Ignatieff as the new "philosopher king", in the hopes of creating Ignatieffmania, this time they will be faced by a legion of bloggers who can apply any amount of intellectual horsepower to examine his statements, positions and actions.

From the sounds of it, he is too clever by half, and a Mr Dithers in the making (trying to catch all the political breezes).

Here is a somewhat longish editorial from today’s Globe and Mail; it is reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

I think Ignatieff and his (mostly Chrétienista) backers and handlers are not aiming at the economic Centre-Left, as the ‘Good Grey Globe’ appears to fear; they are targeting the anti-American/anti-capitalist social Centre-Left, the still strong remnants of the Trudeauites: people who are, generally, anti-military, too.

There is, I think a strong Trudeau wing in the Liberal Party – it, like its patron saint is focused, if incoherent.  Its main tenets are:

• Capitalism is not about economics, it is about the organization of society.  The Trudeauites understand (even if they hate to admit) that they need private enterprise (capitalism) to create jobs and create revenues for governments but they do not want the free market to influence society because they know best what you and I ‘need’ and how much we should ‘give’, too;

• America is bad – not evil, just bad for ‘good’ people like us; and

• The “military-industrial complex” is evil, not just bad, and it is centred in America.  (Russia and Cuba do not, apparently, make and sell arms.)  The Canadian military is, temporarily, a necessary evil but one which can and should be reduced to the status of a blue-bereted boy scout troop as soon as possible.

I, personally, do not think Ignatieff believes much of this rubbish but I suspect he really does want to lead the Liberal Party of Canada and he does believe that he can lead it to power (and himself to 24 Sussex Drive) if, and only if, he can reconstitute the Trudeau/Chrétien version of the Party – the one Paul Martin threw away, along with a majority government.

Anyway:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060412.ELIBS12/TPStory/Opinion/editorials
The Liberals' true place is in the political centre

In a startling prescription, Liberal leadership candidate Michael Ignatieff has advised his struggling party to embrace the "centre-left" of the political spectrum. That airy counsel, delivered when he launched his candidacy last week and again at a recent Edmonton gathering of prospective candidates, has provoked whispered debates among party faithful. If nothing else, Mr. Ignatieff's musings indicate the extent of the party's reconstruction challenge when even the basics of Liberal-ism in the 21st century must be defined. The problem is that, as the race begins, a probable front-runner seems to be tilting his party away from the sensible, middle-of-the road approach to fiscal and social issues that is its greatest strength.

That approach has huge merit -- if only because it is working. When the Liberals toppled from power last January, they bequeathed an economy that is the envy of its G7 partners. The deficit is long gone. The debt is declining. We may top the G7 charts with GDP growth of almost 3 per cent this year. Unemployment is at a 32-year low. Virtually everyone is benefiting from that prosperity: As Statistics Canada recently reported, only 2 per cent of Canadians consistently lived on low incomes between 1999 and 2004. The federal transfer system coupled with job growth is working. Although there is always room for improvement, it is difficult to see why moving left -- if that is what is being proposed -- is necessary or even healthy in this situation.

If anything, what Canada needs is a Liberal Party that understands that "progressive" and "profit" are not contradictory terms. The best way to ensure that disadvantaged Canadians have a chance to improve their status is to ensure that the economy is ticking over at a good pace. All the social programs in the world won't help people if they have no jobs.

It is easy to understand the political reasons for turning left: The Conservatives have successfully occupied the Liberals' home turf in the middle. Two months after taking office, Prime Minister Stephen Harper has hewed to his centrist platform, squashing radical upstarts like bugs, keeping control of the agenda. Senior Liberals are taken aback, admiring and oddly relieved, because it eases the pressure on them to be ready for an immediate election.

After all, it has been a stressful time. Former Prime Minister Paul Martin only resigned as party leader in mid-March -- after several intense meetings with senior officials. The former PM was apparently reluctant to depart so quickly and unceremoniously, preferring to wait until the Nov. 28 to Dec. 3 leadership convention. But party executives wanted to start anew, tackling tomorrow's issues, focusing attention on the jostling array of contenders.

Then Mr. Ignatieff chose to narrow the party's horizons. Governing from the centre does work. In the United Kingdom, Prime Minister Tony Blair has tugged his Labour Party into the modern global economy. As the Organization for Economic Development and Co-operation reported last month, using standardized rates, U.K. unemployment was about half the rate that prevailed in Germany and France in 2004. National income per capita was about $2,000 (U.S) higher. Middle-of-the-road approaches work.

It may be that Mr. Ignatieff is simply trying to lure New Democratic Party members to his fold. That is akin to the cunning, if opportunistic, strategy that Canadian Auto Workers union national president Buzz Hargrove advocated in the last election. A long-time NDP member, Mr. Hargrove was expelled from the party for saying that his union members should vote for the candidate with the best chance of beating the Conservative in ridings where the NDP had little chance. But the Liberals are not devising a plan for strategic voting today: They surely are looking for a leader with sensible strategies for the 21st century, not tactical election ploys. And it does seem strange that they would limit the scope of their appeal, when they should want to include as many Canadians as possible in their tent: Centralism, after all, is the party tradition.

So far, signs of that centralism are sadly lacking. Although the party does have many worthy aspirants, few have fixed their sights on economic issues. To his credit, the most eloquent has been former Ontario premier Bob Rae, who has vowed to foster growth and to channel the resulting revenues into national education and training. Other Liberal aspirants have espoused everything from the environment to diversity. Although these are all worthy causes, Canadians can only hope that the candidates are equally forthright about how to pay for their strategies.

In fact, the unsettling narrowness of Mr. Ignatieff's remark has provoked an intense, behind-the-scenes debate among Liberals. Although he did call for a national productivity strategy last month, the former academic does not have major economic experience. As a result, his "centre-left" notion has prompted worried exchanges and increased scrutiny. Some senior Liberals believe that party policies will become more centralist in response to Mr. Harper.

Others speculate that Mr. Ignatieff is simply following the advice of his senior adviser, that legendary strategist, Senator David Smith. For weeks, Mr. Smith has reportedly introduced Mr. Ignatieff to a succession of party powerbrokers who will vote as ex-officio members at the convention, or who could ensure strong support in the ridings; those riding backers, in turn, would elect supportive delegates to the convention.

But politics should not subsume policies. Over the next nine months, the Liberals have planned five regional candidate and policy forums. Those meetings will provide an opportunity for Mr. Ignatieff to explain exactly what he means by "centre-left." And it will allow middle-of-the-road Canadians to figure out if he and his party still speak for them. The Liberals have a lot of thinking to do.

a_majoor said:
Steven Harper may not be a "smart" as Ignatieff, but he has demonstrated he is very smart indeed when it comes to politics. If the media annoints Ignatieff as the new "philosopher king", in the hopes of creating Ignatieffmania, this time they will be faced by a legion of bloggers who can apply any amount of intellectual horsepower to examine his statements, positions and actions.

From the sounds of it, he is too clever by half, and a Mr Dithers in the making (trying to catch all the political breezes).

So, in conjuction with Edwards posting immediately below, he has somehow managed to become both philosopher king and the national village idiot at the same time? Big surprise there.

Back