• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things CF98 (merged)

Also, as I have read dozens of times on here, KEEP A COPY FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS!!!

things get lost, especially after 30 years....

Here is a link to the form, references and instructions:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cen/ps/cf-98-eng.asp

If you lose a part of a limb you get a percentage of that limb.For example if you were injured in Afghanistan and you lose 10 percent of a arm.You get 10 percent for what a arm is worth as a lump sum.Gone are the days of getting injured and receiving payment from your country for the rest of your life.It abruptly changed once Canadians started dieing.

however from what we are seeing from DVA for injured guys monetarly wise...you won't get much for a small tweek like that.

However a CF-98 makes it possiable to claim you were injured during service...nothing more.Don't expect anything.

X-mo-1979 has a good point.

However - I would caution that what is a minor injury NOW, won't necessarily be a minor injury after 30 years of humping a ruck.

I personally am not affected by this (although I do have a bad back and knees) - but I DO know fellows who had a minor injury way back when, which has come to haunt them later in life.  Those who had a CF98 (good point on keeping your own copy, GAP) found DVA much easier to deal with than those who didn't.

It's your life - it's your call.  If it's a significant injury - fill the darned thing in.  You've got nothing to lose by doing so.

If I'm not mistaken, if you weren't referred to physio by your military MO, you will not be covered for the costs.

You are correct, without a Blue Cross pre-authorization form for a specific number of physio visits from the military clinic's Blue Cross clerk, you will not get free visits or reimbursed if you pay out of pocketr, if you were for civilian physio visits. Your MO would provide the physio prescription to take to the clerk to start the process. However, if you live near a CFB and were injured while on duty you may be entitled to attend physio at a military clinic, consult your local clinic.

fill out the 98.  This may seem like nothing now but down the road the injury could re-occur off duty and the MO decides you are no longer medically fit for 6 months so the unit does not renew your Cl B service nor are they able to employ you Cl A.  With the 98 showing it was a prior injury on military service you have a possible case for compensation from the miilitary for the period you are not employable.

For the physio check with the military hospital  - where it was an injury on duty they may provide the physio in house rather than send you to a private clinic.

Q. I didn't have a CF98 completed for my injury. Can I still apply for a VAC disability pension?

A. Yes. While a CF98 is an important piece of evidence to substantiate your pension claim, it is not the only evidence considered. Other important information includes:

* medical documents pertaining to your claim (i.e., audiograms, diagnostic reports, medical attendance records, hospital and outpatient records);
    * your military service history (i.e., types of service, enrolment/release dates, temporary postings, Special Duty Area deployments);
    * your occupational information (i.e., service occupations [MOCS] and duties, confirmation of military authorized events/activities related to your claim);
    * administrative documents relevant to your claim (i.e., Personnel Record Resume, Change of Medical Category, Record of Service, etc.); and
    * witness statements.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=salute/fall2002/cfmembers

If the building that I am living in (on PAT) has been determined to be contaminated with asbestos, what would the best course of action be for me?
I am going to request written documentation of the contamination in order to fill out a CF-98. I am figuring that this way I can cover my @55 if down the line I have health problems from this. I will be here for at least 6-7 months before my trade's next course starts.
If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
Thank you.

g_jeremies said:
If the building that I am living in (on PAT) has been determined to be contaminated with asbestos, what would the best course of action be for me?

Is there actual proof of "contamination"?  There are many buildings still existing with asbestos.  As long as it's not friable, it's not an issue.  Ever see those 12" x 12" green floor tiles?  They have asbestos in them.

http://www.ehs.utoronto.ca/resources/asbestos/asbestosawareness04.htm

You'll have to define "contaminated" vs "present" - doesn't mean the same thing.  You'll also need to know that you have to be pretty sure you weren't exposed to it prior to joining - if you develop an asbestos related condition, the burden of proof will be on you to prove it was the CF exposure that caused it.  You can do the CF98 up, just have the documentation.

MM

I don't think the CF 98 is intended to be used for "possible" exposure. The way I see it, it is for confirmed injury of exposure to contaminants. Pretty much everybody in the CF is exposed to asbestos on a regular basis because of the buildings. You can always try but don't expect anything from it.

If you want to go with the CF 98, be sure to also have your supervisor complete a DND663. There's nothing worse for the UGSO to have to track you down for paperwork...

Thanks for the quick responses.
Part of the problem, as I see it, is that we (the residents of the building) don't know if it is friable/nonfriable, or anything else, because they haven't told us much except that it was found in the showers. Some shower stalls have been covered with tarp, as they are falling apart, exposing the insulation. This may or may not be friable, but if it is old, Lord knows what stresses the insulation has seen and whether or not it has been damaged.
In either case, I would like some sort of documentation stating the specifics of the building's condition and the extent of the asbestos contamination/content.
As for the burden of proof being on me, I understand that, which is part of the reason I want documentation. Without it, I am up the creek without a paddle.

As for the last response, I may not be filling out a CF-98 right now, but in the future I may have to (although I hope I don't), I just want to have documentation to back me up.
Out of curiousity, what is a DND663 and a UGSO?

UGSO: Unit General Safety Officer... the guy in charge of all that nice paperwork.

DND 663 : General Safety Hazardous Occurrence Investigation Report... It gives the CoC tool to track injuries and near misses and what has been done to prevent the situation from reoccurring

Is there a place in canforgen that explains the entire cf98 process with the HazOcc investigation stuff as well? Or could someone just direct me to the way to find out? I have been placed in charge of them for my unit, and I haven't had a course on it yet. However some just got filed, and I'd hate for the troops to wait for me to get the course..(the previous UGSO retired and is unreachable)

Formation Halifax has an outstanding webpage for Formation Safety and Environment.  Look for a publications link to the General Safety Program, I think you might find what you're looking for there.  Failing that, there are lots of links to people who can help you in an official capacity.

http://halifax.mil.ca/N4MAT/N48/index.htm  (DWAN link only)

Mm! Thank you both.

Heh, someday I'm going to be knowledgeable (spelling according to google...seems wrong) enough to help people too...but for now I learn.

NSDreamer said:
Heh, someday I'm going to be knowledgeable (spelling according to google...seems wrong) enough to help people too...but for now I learn.

Me too.  I'm off to my BSOTC course next week.  :nod:

Hrm, I'm supposed to be on BOSTC next week as well...dun dun dun.

Back