• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Paul Franklin (merged)

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Extracted from the current affairs board:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/01/15/afghan-deaths060115.html

Medic put tourniquet on his own severed leg

The attack also killed two Afghan civilians and injured 13 people, including three Canadians: Pte. William Salikin of 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey of 1 Combat Engineer Regiment, and Master Cpl. Paul Franklin of 1 Field Ambulance. 

Two of the Canadians were in hospital at the U.S.-led base at Kandahar airport with life-threatening injuries while the third was in serious condition, Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais told reporters at a briefing in Ottawa.

He didn't give any further details, except to say that the injured soldiers would be airlifted to a U.S. military hospital in Germany as soon as possible.

Franklin's wife, Audra Franklin, later said she had spoken with her husband on the telephone.

Franklin, a medic, told her that the explosion severed his left leg below the knee and broke his right leg.

"I'm so proud, because ... he applied his own tourniquet in the field and saved his own life," she told CBC News at her home in Edmonton.

Military wife stoic about husband's injuries

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060115/soldier_wife_060115/20060115?hub=Canada

CTV.ca News Staff

The wife of a stricken Canadian soldier has seen his theoretical risk of being harmed turn horribly real.

"This is what my husband does, and it's something he loves to do and he's really good at it and it was an accepted risk," Audra Franklin said Sunday.....................

Click link for full story.

Good on him, fantastic.  :salute: 

We should all hope we react nearly as well.

Best wishes to him and his.

DF

I saw his picture in the newspaper today, he looked familiar. Does anybody here know if he was at Op Peregrine in Barriere or in Borden in 02 or 04?

My thoughts are with him and his family.

Bart

Paul speedy recovery.  All of us in Gagetown who were in Fd Amb with you send their prayers and well wishes.
Kirsten

An excerpt from the story:

"The CBC's David Common says Franklin's bravery is believed to have gone even further than that.

Military sources say he crawled to his wounded comrades and gave them first-aid that may have saved their lives, Common reports. "

Well done.

How long has it been since RCAMC/CFMS/CFHS  has had a medic down in a real combat zone?

Just pondering...

Medic lauded as hero: 'It's quite impressive'
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/01/17/afghanistan-attack-060117.html

...Withers said he believes one of the soldiers likely saved the lives of the others. Franklin, the medic, is thought to have applied a tourniquet to his own severed leg, then helped Bailey and Salikin .

"I think it would be extremely difficult, given both the initial trauma of the situation and, as well, the excruciating pain that the individual would be going through," he said. "It's quite impressive." ...

Judging from reports of his actions, sounds like he qualifies for one of these bad boys: a Meritorious Service Decoration
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group02/msc
Way to go  :salute:

Old Medic
IIRC, the last medic to be "injured" as a result of enemy action while on a combat operation was Cpl EW Poole DCM, a medical assistant serving in 2 RCR in Korea 1951. He was nominated for the VC however, this was downgraded to DCM by the Comd of the Commonwealth Bde. I'll attempt to track down the citation later today. 
Other medical hat badges have died while on operations / exercises including WO Keith Arsenault, Medical Platoon CAR, 2 x MOs - one at sea in Protecteur and the other in Cyprus.

Considering that the action was in the presence of the enemy (by most definitions), I wouldn't be surprised if he was put up for a valour decoration. Pretty amazing what he went through, to have the presence of mind to do what he did.

:salute:

Long story, told quickly:

In Somalia, we worked with a SF team. One day, their Humvee hit a TM-46 and the team was decimated. The Tm Medic, who had both legs amputated by the blast, knew he was dieing, however, he still passed on critical medical info to the other members of the team to ensure that they survived.

Good morning all from Germany.  This is Mcpl Paul Franklin's wife, Audra. 
Thank you all for your thoughts. 

I'm not sure who brought up whether he was in Borden 02 and 04 and the fires in Barrier.  Yes to all three counts.
I was up to see him this morning, and he is looking pretty good.  The burns on his face and hands are healing nicely and his pain is becoming manageable.  His left leg is healing well.  There could be further amputation on that just due to circumstances.  His right leg is still there, but badly broken and beaten up.  We may or may not be able to salvage that leg.  The current thought is to wait until we get to Canada, and go from there.  Paul figures that if that leg is going to be more of a problem than not, take it, so we can get him up and moving.

So, I guess we are doing well considering the circumstances.  The facility here in Landstuhl is absolutely amazing!  I can't say enough about the support from our units, the Federal Government, the American Government and the families of Ramstein/Landstuhl.

I will update later if things change.

Thanks again for your thought and prayers.

Respectfully,
Audra

Out in the field, Medics have always been very professional and quick to treat my scrapes and bruises. Audra, tell your husband that I truly thank him for his sacrifices for this country. He has helped make life better in A-stan and Canada and many people will benefit directly from his actions. His professionalism and courage are shinning examples to us all.
Good luck and God speed to you and your family's recovery.

Sincerely,
James

Wounded Canadian soldiers could be home Tuesday
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/01/20/soldiers-afghan060120.html

The three Canadian soldiers being treated in Germany after a bombing attack in Afghanistan could return home as early as Tuesday, doctors said as the men's families and friends spoke for the first time since arriving in Landstuhl.

The soldiers were flown to a U.S. military hospital in Germany following a bombing last weekend that killed Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry and two Afghans.

Their loved ones arrived in Germany earlier this week. They told a media briefing on Friday morning that they "instantly became family," and are receiving great support from hospital staff and Canadian officials.

Click link above for full story.

The Halifax Chronicle-Herald
Bomb survivor was born in N.S.
Soldier has conditioning, courage to see him through, relatives say
http://www.canoe.ca/ChronicleHerald/news3.html

<edit: added Halifax Chronicle-Herald link>

Thank-you very much Audra for the update. It is appreciated by all here, I am sure. Please feel free to come back here anytime to update us or just to chat.

The thoughts and prayers of me and my family, go out to you, Paul and your family.

God bless.

MCpl Franklin patched me up once.....

Speedy recovery buddy - but don't think that leg will get you out of PT!!  >:D

Story Update:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060122/canadian_soldier_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories
Franklin underwent his first reconstructive surgery Sunday, as doctors operated on his badly mangled right lower leg in efforts to save it.
The surgery went "quite well," Withers said.
"He is resting comfortably in the surgical ward."
However, the fate of Franklin's right leg remains uncertain.
"We're trying to remain optimistic," Withers said.

Back