• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Paul Franklin (merged)

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=oursoldiers

Just an update on Paul.  The above link is provided by his sister and shows Paul up on his prosthetics walking, with help but he is up and about.  Best of luck Paul.

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=6602e91d-dd33-4bd8-9fa0-fafc921e3d2b

Soldier's fighting spirit

Calgary Herald

Sunday, May 28, 2006

It is only two blocks from Paul Franklin's home in north Edmonton to his son's school.

But the distance marks the end of a much longer journey that began when the soldier lost his legs in a Jan. 15 suicide bombing in Afghanistan.

Back home in Alberta, Franklin vowed he'd do whatever it took to get out of his wheelchair, even though the doctors told him it was unlikely he'd ever walk again.

Now, Franklin is proving them wrong as he gets used to his prosthetic limbs -- with a lot of encouragement from his six-year-old son, Simon.

He never ceases to amaze me - what an incredible spirit.

I thank all of you for your continued support and kind words for Paul and our family.  He will only move forward from this point.  I pray one day he will walk unencumbered, and maybe even ride a skateboard again.
Audra

For those Interested, Simon Martin has an article about Paul in the August-September Issue
of Canadian Emergency News (Volume 29, Number 4). It is located on Pages 6 - 8.

I would love to read that article, but I can only find April May on line.  Any idea where to get a hard copy?
Thanks.
Audra

I just got the new issue, and it's fairy well done...the author promises to bring us (CF Medics) more fame and glory in future issues, but he thought the MCpl Franklin subject deserved it's own article.

I think it comes online about 3 weeks after the print edition comes out...but I may be wrong.  Hard copies are fairly rare at MSM outlets, I've only seen it at work; each of our stations has a subscription.

DF

I had the honour of meeting the MCpl in person at the Abbotsford Air Show 06. He's doing well, and offers inspirational speeches. I received one of his business cards, and fwd it to ParaMedTech, who was my boss at the event. I have the deepest respect for MCpl Paul Franklin, both the way he conducted himself during the incident, and his conviction in life. All the best to him and his family.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2006/10/09/1984963-sun.html

Good read in the Edmonton Sun about Paul and what hes doing now.

Ten months after losing his legs in Afghanistan, Master Cpl. Paul Franklin is back on the job and taking direct aim at reducing the Canadian military's escalating death toll.

The 39-year-old field medic is drawing on his experience of being "blown up" by a suicide bomber to teach soldiers how to stay alive if wounded in combat.

Hey Granny, thanks for sharing that.  I haven't seen the article yet.  BTW, that was my first turkey!

Simmysmom

It was a great article and as usual you and Paul are a great inspiration to us all. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, I know the holiday means a lot more to all of us now.Take care and see you at the rally.
MG

I'm glad you are coming to the rally.  Please, make yourself know so I can meet you.
See you then!

A wonderful article.

Best wishes to the Mcpl. and his family. You truly have amazing spirit.

:salute:

Paul is a good guy. The TMST training he assisted with prior to the deployment of the PRT in July 05 was crucial, and in turn helped save his own life. Before his class we were all under the belief that tourniquets were evil, however I do not go out in the field now without a tourniquet and field dressing in my lower left leg pocket. Habits die hard.  I patrolled and did convoy duties with him on that tour, and am happy that he can assist with the training of future rotations.

+1  Combatbuddha...

I was very impressed with the medical portion of the TMST training we did for roto 0.

I did my QL5 Med-A with Paul, but I haven't talk to him in a while. I passed a message through a personal friend but still I can't find the words to express my admiration. I still remember hearing that Paul had been injured, I will never forget that feeling of knowing that I did not do my best to keep in touch with a peer. Please pass on to Paul my best wishes and if he wants to contact me, please PM me I will consider it an honour to call.

Philip R. Rochon
MCpl
PMed Tech
5 Amb C
Valcartier, Quebec

Sens & Toronto Game Ottawa Thurday night

M/CPL Franklin dropped the puck and got a standing O from 20,000 fans

Shows you what our guys are made of

Funny - there is alot of good news today with great acts being properly recognized, but this post here, by far, made my day.

from a couple posts I've seen on here, really sounds like he's moving on with his life (which can't be easy to do). Good for him and very inspirational.

Back