• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

I when my dad had a cardiac event and he was in a coma, the various stages of denial and negotiating with God are similar to the reaction here.

Let me say this slowly. THIS IS YOUR COL AND Ec INCREASE. This is it. This is what you are getting. Full stop. If you lose money, doom on you, they don’t care. If PSAC negotiates 12%, well, they’ll top this up and you’ll get another 2% before taxes, if not, well, too bad.

”We recognize that the replacement of PLD with CFHD may take some time to adjust to, both mentally and financially. Given the implications on your personal circumstances, it is important for you to also note that the CAF will also see an economic increase – or pay raise – which you will see on your mid-July pay. This economic increase is retroactive to April 1st, 2021 and will also include an increase up to March 2025. Critically, this imminent economic increase will assist you in covering the expenses of your cost of living in Canada apart from housing in some locations.”

I when my dad had a cardiac event and he was in a coma, the various stages of denial and negotiating with God are similar to the reaction here.

Let me say this slowly. THIS IS YOUR COL AND Ec INCREASE. This is it. This is what you are getting. Full stop. If you lose money, doom on you, they don’t care. If PSAC negotiates 12%, well, they’ll top this up and you’ll get another 2% before taxes, if not, well, too bad.

”We recognize that the replacement of PLD with CFHD may take some time to adjust to, both mentally and financially. Given the implications on your personal circumstances, it is important for you to also note that the CAF will also see an economic increase – or pay raise – which you will see on your mid-July pay. This economic increase is retroactive to April 1st, 2021 and will also include an increase up to March 2025. Critically, this imminent economic increase will assist you in covering the expenses of your cost of living in Canada apart from housing in some locations.”

Exactly, I already did the Math on this for what I would be getting were I still in (I released a year ago).

It would be a compensation loss of $9600.00 a year roughly.

This would be partially offset by a "pay increase" but I would still receive $6000.00 less in compensation a year, even after "the raise".

This is all just Government Kabuki Theatre and lots of lipstick applied to the pig 😄.

It's also having middle management eat the losses so the bottom i.e. Untrained/Unskilled pers get paid more.

Again:

CAF only cares about recruitment, not about retention.

It wants more fresh meat and doesn't care if the meat it already has gets spoiled in the process.

Further, for those of you that think this is impossible, I first joined in 1993. I vividly remember being marched onto the parade square in 1994 to be told by the Fleet School Chief that our pay was frozen for 5 years….FROZEN. This is just a kinder variation of that.

Where are you on IR from? In that location, would your pay qualify you for HD? (If you've elected an IPR, the answer is an immediate "no"). If the answer is "Yes, in the location I am on IR from I would be entitled to CAF HD" then my understanding is that since that is where you are paying for a principal residence, you would be eligible.

So, for example, if you are on IR in Greenwood, but have your principal residence in Comox, then the assessment of your entitlement is based on Comox.

Not according to the CANFORGEN. PLD is based on location of D, HG and E. CFHD is based on “where you are posted to”.

0034AF8E-8ACC-441A-99A9-5295D38A5997.jpeg

In my case, this is a loss. I’m sure there will be others in the same boat.

Thankfully my wife saw a significant salary increase this year, the kids are all out of the house and thru secondary education.

I feel for those who aren’t in the same situation as we are.

Further, for those of you that think this is impossible, I first joined in 1993. I vividly remember being marched onto the parade square in 1994 to be told by the Fleet School Chief that our pay was frozen for 5 years….FROZEN. This is just a kinder variation of that.
Only in Canada could you convince people "we were looking after them financially" while organization somehow "saved money".

It's like the old "Infinite Money" trick!

a8YvgYV_460s.jpg

htt

they seem to not care nearly as much about pay this time….they want WFH.
The union is asking for 4% per year over three years. Wfh is one element but pay is very much an issue for the union. Another union negotiated and settled for 3% per year for a a total of 9%.

htt

they seem to not care nearly as much about pay this time….they want WFH.
Unions do this all the time, it's a classic bargaining tactic, but believe me, what they really actually want is MORE money.

No Union will ever come out and say that openly though because it's unpopular. You know how people snivel at Execs when they hear about their "big bonuses" well the same holds true for Unions.

Instead of asking for more money, they will ask for other things in lieu of money in hope the Company just says "how about we just pay you more".

Unions do this all the time, it's a classic bargaining tactic, but believe me, what they really actually want is MORE money.

No Union will ever come out and say that openly though because it's unpopular. You know how people snivel at Execs when they hear about their "big bonuses" well the same holds true for Unions.

Instead of asking for more money, they will ask for other things in lieu of money in hope the Company just says "how about we just pay you more".
Yep.

The union is asking for 4% per year over three years. Wfh is one element but pay is very much an issue for the union. Another union negotiated and settled for 3% per year for a a total of 9%.
Damn I'd be super jazzed with that. I'm technically public sector (post secondary ed) and we got 5.5% over 4 years

Yep.

The Union I was part of made a big stink about "hour long lunches" during the last contract negotiation.

Right now they get 20 min lunch but get a full hours pay even when they only actually work usually 20-30 min of the hour (5-10 min prep time to secure gear and wash up, either side of lunches is acceptable)

The negotiation started with "We want an Hour for Lunch!"

They were suprised when the Company went "no problem, we can def do that but it's going to have to be an unpaid hour because you'll take 5-10min either side of that hour for prep time".

"Oh, well we don't want that, but we would be willing to accept more money in lieu of that hour long lunch"

Sure thing! Never heard another mention of "hour long lunches"

😉

It’s always an issue…ask PSAC members what they’d like…12% in the office or 10% and WFH.

Back