• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

The key here is, that while the 150M ceiling will stay the same, allocation by city probably will change.  If I was a betting man, that would mean, for example, a reduction in Edmonton, but increase (from 0) in Wainwright....

ArmyVern said:
Wow; actual progress!!
Not so much.  The previous Province was always on the hook until the new one accepted you.  Ontario waiving the 90 day requirement was closely linked in time to the introduction of user fees.

Infanteer said:
Perhaps an updated SOR needs to be part of a posting?  Is that legal?
After a bunch of surprised individuals during the last federal election, my unit has added the SOR as a document to review during the annual readiness verification.  We cannot insist that people change their vote to thier current address (and we shouldn't), but a lot of people do eventually decide they have developed more roots in their current location than where they first joined. If they are not reminded of the SOR, then they forget and become surprised that they cannot vote locally at election time.

Infanteer said:
I don't know legalities, but I thought checking the address box on your tax return was stating your primary residence.
The box on the tax forms is for voting residence - it does not apply to military with an SOR.
Really, the form should give a third option of "I am a military elector."

PuckChaser said:
Kingston and Ottawa too, but good news, they recycled all those homes and saved money!

and Ottawa is also building new ones - couple new ranch style with built in garages.

Myself I am happy that the PMQ's are here.  When I looked around Ottawa the housing I was shown was horrible for more money than what I was leaving in Halifax and I was losing the PLD.  It was like taking a double cut in my real spending factor - higher rent and less money.  I ended with a PMQ that was close to what I had in Halifax and it only cost $200 more. 

PMQ's is not really about providing subsidized housing anymore but ensuring that there is some housing that meets a standard when members are posted.  In some locations rather than have a "PMQ" area CFHA has contracted with a local landlord to provide housing as a PMQ (to my knowledge this is locations that only need one unit). 

Also it's not always a matter of not able to afford your family - sometimes the family you could afford at location X becomes a financial stress when posted to location y.  Now I wonder - how many people truly sat down and looked at every possible posting location in the CF and assessed the financial situation if they were posted there prior to having children?

ArmyVern said:
Here's my situation.

I'm posted to Kingston and 9er D is in Quebec. He has the residence, I'm the unaccompanied. Because our primary residence is in Quebec, we both have to file Quebec taxes. Quebec taxes are deducted from my pay in Ontario.

Because he is posted in Quebec, he gets PLD. I do not - even though I am paying the much-higher Quebec tax rate. If we were both posted "in" Quebec, we would both get PLD although mine would be at the reduced rate. So, I pay Quebec taxes etc, yet receive no offset via any 'partial to the partial' PLD - somewhat understandable as I only spend weekends there ... but the taxes here will irritate the hell out of anyone sane!!

So, if PLD is based partially upon the tax rate one is paying upon their income ... you'd think that 'partially' would apply when one is indeed paying the increased tax rate. It doesn't.

Utopia - a place we're all looking for.  8)

I would guess that you are getting SE?    Just to clarify - if you were posted in Quebec drawing the PLD both of you would be at the reduced rate.

Infanteer said:
Perhaps an updated SOR needs to be part of a posting?  Is that legal?

You can do an updated SOR anytime you want.  If there is an election coming up then there are guidlines on when the new SOR while take effect.

All SORs take effect 60 days after completion.  This automatically means they will not be valid for any election that has already been called.  By law, federal election campaigns are only 60 days long, so if an election is called, the earliest your SOR can take effect is the day after the vote takes place. 

first I would like to say I base my comment on chatting..

PLD can help, true story! Is it a nice thing when life is more expensive from places to places.. 
Why if so, when  posted to a place offering housing to people that generally get better income... (oil-rigue).. pld disappear ? ? ?
I just got told that moving from Edmonton where I rent a PMQ and pay 800$/month`s; would have to defray 1600$/month`s to Wainwright ???  WTF / losing pld +

I dont get it...
By any chance`s ...are we gonna have pld in Wainwright??

Your rent for a PMQ in Wainwright is $1600, or is that your mortgage?

If that's your PMQ rent, it demonstrates a huge problem with the way PMQ rent is calculated, not PLD. Though, PLD is stupid the way its calculated as well.

did a search and didn't find it, so here's my question. Does anyone know where I can find a map of the various areas that PLD occurs in? I am trying to find out what the coverage area is for my posting after QL3, and I just found out that I may be entitled to some retroactive pay regarding PLD due to where I was living/ currently maintain my primary residence. I came across a map awhile ago, but can't seem to find it anywhere now.

It's only available on the DWAN.  A listing of the geographical boundaries for various cities is at http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/travel/engraph/geographical_boundaries_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

I'm guessing you're in Esquimalt.  The boundaries for Esquimalt are:

Western boundary:

Start and include San Simon Point;

Thence due north to include the west of Youbou (48º 52'N, 124º 14'W);

North western boundary:

From Youbou proceed north east to include Ladysmith (49º 4' N, 124º 53'W); and

Coastal boundary:

From Ladysmith proceed south and west along the shoreline of south east Vancouver Island to San Simon Point.

There's a map, but I'll let you look it up on the website.

OK, might be a shot in the dark here, went to my BOR today to find out if my primary residence falls within the geographical boundaries and they couldn't find it. Does anyone know the geographical boundaries for the Kamloops/Kelowna area ? It is a stated PLD area, but we can't seem to find the area boundaries. And for those who may be wondering, those two cities aren't really that close, and it wouldn't make any "sense" to have them in the same geo-boundary area. Any help on this greatly appreciated.

Seadog....

You off there as a recruiter? If so, it is a BEAUTIFUL area!! Bring a snow shovel and bug spray.....

If you have DIN access, the address is http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/travel/engraph/geographical_boundaries_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

That being said, out of all the groups there, there appears to be no "Kamloops / Kelowna" area in there. 

The British Columbia Dragoons
720 Lawrence Avenue
Kelowna, British Columbia
V1Y 6L9

Phone: 250-712-4227

These guys are the local reserves in the area.  Perhaps if you give them a call, they can hook up some information and send it your way too.

Good luck!

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROMULGATE THE TB APPROVED PLD RATES, EFFECTIVE 1 APR 09.

IAW REF A THE FOLLOWING 2009 RATES ARE EFFECTIVE 1 APR 09, READ IN TWO COLUMNS: PLD AREA, 2009 FULL RATE:
ALDERGROVE, 418
CALGARY, 711
CAMBRIDGE, 71
COLD LAKE, 319
EDMONTON, 684
GUELPH, 167
HALIFAX, 631
HAMILTON, 414
KAMLOOPS/KELOWNA, 525
KITCHENER, 62
LETHBRIDGE, 234
MEAFORD, 77
MEDICINE HAT, 145
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE, 505
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE, 376
MOOSE JAW, 284
NANAIMO, 75
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER, 117
RED DEER, 327
REGINA, 62
SASKATOON, 382
SEPT-ILES, 107
ST JOHN S, 149
STRATFORD, 82
TORONTO AREA 1, 1485
TORONTO AREA 2, 506
TORONTO AREA 3, 522
TORONTO AREA 4, 819
TORONTO AREA 5, 1167
VANCOUVER, 1083
VICTORIA/ESQUIMALT, 816

Its an older CANFORGEN, but it DOES state 525 for Kamloops / Kelowna

Thanks brothers, actually I'm moving out of the area and am trying to find out if where my "primary residence" is falls in the PLDA. I know the city itself falls within the PLDA, just not sure of the boundaries on it. Weird that my BOR was having trouble finding it, the actual city didn't seem to be on the list showing various geographical boundaries, but there were other cities missing too.

I'm wondering on PLD in Trenton/Borden or Kingston? Any chance in hell?
And any idea on PMQ cost?

We're being sent most likely to Trenton in approx 4 weeks, com posting.

Any info appreciated

Back