• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

CAF members who have no children, or had them before joining(more common these days) get nothing out of it. I don't begrudge my EI premiums, but I can easily see why some CAF members do.
Same goes for someone who accidentally has a kid really young, then later on stumbles into pretty much any stable employment that takes them to retirement. So what? It’s a pooled insurance approach. Inherently not everyone will use it, nor will most be able to know that fact for sure.

I also bet some CAF spouses end up on EI when the CAF member gets posted. I bet some CAF veterans end up on EI Disability, too.

How is that any different than anyone else who pays EI premiums?
The difference would be that as a CAF member you can't get laid-off, so you literally have no chance of drawing EI outside parental leave, whereas for others it is a security net.

Like I said, I "get" it, but I can see why others take issue with it.

The difference would be that as a CAF member you can't get laid-off, so you literally have no chance of drawing EI outside parental leave, whereas for others it is a security net.
You can be released for a whole variety of reasons.

Same goes for someone who accidentally has a kid really young, then later on stumbles into pretty much any stable employment that takes them to retirement. So what? It’s a pooled insurance approach. Inherently not everyone will use it, nor will most be able to know that fact for sure.

I also bet some CAF spouses end up on EI when the CAF member gets posted. I bet some CAF veterans end up on EI Disability, too.
Did you miss the part where I said I don't begrudge paying EI premiums?

You can be released for a whole variety of reasons.

That's the kicker right there. You're released from service, not terminated from employment.

The Employment Insurance Act only makes reference to CAF members paying into the benefit and drawing it during Parental Leave. Unless I am missing something from my reading of the Act, I don't see what Release item would entitle a CAF members to draw EI Benefits.

I don't begrudge paying into it, as I have used Parental Leave benefits at least once. I was merely pointing out how calculating CoL off of Gross vs. Net Pay can be a different kettle of fish altogether.

Did you miss the part where I said I don't begrudge paying EI premiums?
No, and I’m not faulting you for anything either. Just pointing out that the same logic applies to many both within and outside of CAF. Discussing, not arguing.

I actually very much respect you seeing something that you pay into, that contributes to our society’s health, that you may or may not ever benefit partially or fully from, and being cool with it regardless. More of that would be good for Canada.

That's the kicker right there. You're released from service, not terminated from employment.

The Employment Insurance Act only makes reference to CAF members paying into the benefit and drawing it during Parental Leave. Unless I am missing something from my reading of the Act, I don't see what Release item would entitle a CAF members to draw EI Benefits.

I don't begrudge paying into it, as I have used Parental Leave benefits at least once. I was merely pointing out how calculating CoL off of Gross vs. Net Pay can be a different kettle of fish altogether.
I’ve known of reservists reaching the end of Cl B or Cl C and going on EI for a time.

There is also caregiver benefits for adult caregiving, end of life care etc.

It isn’t just mata pata.

The act stipulates that CAF employment is Insurable. Thus should apply if someone left with just cause voluntarily or involuntarily.

Unless there is an exclusion clause somewhere I’m missing?

If someone in the CAF doesn’t take MATA/PATA in their career, how do they reclaim all that EI taken from their pay at retirement - asking for a friend.

Back to PLD…

Ptes making enough allowances that brings their overall pay to Sgt/WO wage - rumoured - is some of the dumbest crap that I’ve ever heard. That’s like a line cook at McDonald’s being paid an allowance that will bring them up to a manager salary. Leave it to those completely out of touch to even suggest nonsense like that, be it GOFOs or politicians.

I actually very much respect you seeing something that you pay into, that contributes to our society’s health, that you may or may not ever benefit partially or fully from, and being cool with it regardless. More of that would be good for Canada.

I used to see things like my EI contributions as benefitting Canada, and citizens in need, etc.

I have less confidence in this current govt that any/all monies deducted from my monthly pay is being used responsibly and don’t feel quite the same about pay deductions anymore, EI included.

EI as far as I am concerned is a scam. Other than the Mata/Pata side of it, the general EI system is more or less wealth redistribution from people who work year round to those who choose to work part time year round (i.e. seasonal industry). If it wasn't there would have been no need for CERB as everyone should have just been able to rely on EI.

Historically those in seasonal work such as logging, fishing, construction, etc. would go find a second job in the down season. Now they sit around and collect EI for that time which they will never pay into enough to balance it out. The way it gets balanced out is by someone like me who odds are isn't really going to collect it paying into it year round. Also the fact that if you make over 70k or whatever the exact amount is in a year results in you having to pay back a substantial portion of the EI taken, means that there really isn't much point in me collecting EI if I did happen to get laid off. Basically throwing my money away on a ever increasing premium to support those who refuse to fully support themselves.

It should be changed to some sort of savings account you can only access when laid off/pata/mata and when the money runs out, too bad for you. If the money is there when you retire it should become a second pension. I think you would see a large positive change in many industries if such a change were to come into effect.

It should be changed to some sort of savings account you can only access when laid off/pata/mata and when the money runs out, too bad for you. If the money is there when you retire it should become a second pension. I think you would see a large positive change in many industries if such a change were to come into effect.

No need to complicate this. Just get rid of the program and let private insurance companies offer it as a service. You can choose to put your money in into your TFSA instead if you so please.

Those on the 14 weeks on/38 weeks off work schedule will probably make better choices when they realize their premium is going to cost $20k a year.

No need to complicate this. Just get rid of the program and let private insurance companies offer it as a service. You can choose to put your money in into your TFSA instead if you so please.

Those on the 14 weeks on/38 weeks off work schedule will probably make better choices when they realize their premium is going to cost $20k a year.
Perfect plan, we can outsource all of our seasonal work to foreign workers.

There is no way that can go wrong...

Perfect plan, we can outsource all of our seasonal work to foreign workers.

There is no way that can go wrong...

Lol, you think you take away EI and all the lobster fisherman would just sell their licenses? Pretty sure they'd just go find a job during non-fishing season, those with any sense of shame already do.

Lol, you think you take away EI and all the lobster fisherman would just sell their licenses? Pretty sure they'd just go find a job during non-fishing season, those with any sense of shame already do.
lol tell me you don't understand the fishing industry, without telling me you don't understand the fishing industry.

It's not the fishermen that need the EI, it's the hired help. The fishermen collect because they can, not because they need it. It's the fish plants and farms that are already heavily dependant on foreign workers that require a core of locals to run the plant/farm while the cheap imported labour does the menial jobs.

Also, who do you think fixes your roads, and builds things? It's cheap and easy to make fun on the East Coast fishermen and hired help, but there are lots of seasonal workers across the country.

lol tell me you don't understand the fishing industry, without telling me you don't understand the fishing industry.

It's not the fishermen that need the EI, it's the hired help. The fishermen collect because they can, not because they need it. It's the fish plants and farms that are already heavily dependant on foreign workers that require a core of locals to run the plant/farm while the cheap imported labour does the menial jobs.

Also, who do you think fixes your roads, and builds things? It's cheap and easy to make fun on the East Coast fishermen and hired help, but there are lots of seasonal workers across the country.
There is a lot of seasonal workers. I don’t see why I should be subsidizing them though. If they want to work seasonally, save their money to make it through the rest of the year.

With your example of construction there is plenty of indoor renos they could work on during the winter.

Many also play games where they are actually working year round, just working cash under the table well collecting EI.

Reactions: ueo
I’ve known of reservists reaching the end of Cl B or Cl C and going on EI for a time.
I looked into doing that in between contracts. It can be done. But they claw it back on your next year's taxes so there's limited value in doing so unless you really need the cash flow at that particular juncture.

There is a lot of seasonal workers. I don’t see why I should be subsidizing them though. If they want to work seasonally, save their money to make it through the rest of the year.

With your example of construction there is plenty of indoor renos they could work on during the winter.

Many also play games where they are actually working year round, just working cash under the table well collecting EI.
That's fine, but have you considered the consequences of that plan? I agree in principle, but I also know ideological decisions also often have unforeseen consequences. Regardless, this sidetrack should end or move elsewhere.

Like I mentioned regarding PLD, a well intentioned idea can lead to other issues.

Ahhh the myth of the poor fisherman.

2 F250s, one brand new daily driver and the other an early model, clapped out and rusty to drive to the Social Services office.

Ahhh the myth of the poor fisherman.

2 F250s, one brand new daily driver and the other an early model, clapped out and rusty to drive to the Social Services office.
A lot of fishermen are well off however many are not dependent on the fishery and area they fish. Some 100% deserve and need EI. The issue back home in NL is that many communities are so small, there is not a big option to find a job after their season ends. Its easy to say like some do for them to move away for work but its not always that cut and dry.

Back