• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Canadian Forces Housing Differential that is replacing PLD effective 1 July is up

Effectively your monthly pay and location determines the level of the allowance.

wonder how long it will take for the releases to go in?

Vancouver gets a crap load more than Toronto. PLD is dropping for some in Toronto by a huge chunk and they already have problems getting people into Toronto. This is not going to make it any easier. Just looking at Sgt going from 1485 to 650. Sure all of them will be happy to get $835 less a month. Oh, of course only get about half of it.

Like how they hide it in with pay increases thinking people won't notice the loss.

Canadian Forces Housing Differential that is replacing PLD effective 1 July is up

Effectively your monthly pay and location determines the level of the allowance.

The pay raise for 1 Apr is also there if you follow the CBI link.

I pretty much break even. Maybe 100$ extra for a year. And then I max out.
I suspect the already struggling navy will be hit even harder than other branches, as Victoria and Esquimalt were both at fairly high PLD levels. I was already looking at the cost/benefit of staying in, or getting out and collecting my pension. If I was about to lose money, that would definitely have an impact on my desire to stick around.

I suspect the already struggling navy will be hit even harder than other branches, as Victoria and Esquimalt were both at fairly high PLD levels. I was already looking at the cost/benefit of staying in, or getting out and collecting my pension. If I was about to lose money, that would definitely have an impact on my desire to stick around.

Oh ya this is going to destroy the C&POs on both coasts, or what's left of it. It's the middle this really hits hard, and it's the middle that's the weakest.

This pretty much makes up my mind. Hello Army Reserve :)

Another whammy for the RCN is a member loses it for a bunch of reasons but these 2 will affect RCN folks more than most given many stay in the same area for large swathes of their career

205.453(4) (No Entitlement) There is no entitlement to CFHD if any of the following conditions apply:
  • the member receives CFHD while posted to the same place of duty for longer than 7 consecutive years;
  • the member receives CFHD in relation to the same permanent residence for longer than 7 consecutive years;

This will help a lot of folks, while impacting pockets of others. I am excited about the 10bpercent over 4 years, however, an extra 100 bucks a month I CFHD does very little to offset the fact mt mortgage rate tripled this year.

This will help a lot of folks, while impacting pockets of others. I am excited about the 10bpercent over 4 years, however, an extra 100 bucks a month I CFHD does very little to offset the fact mt mortgage rate tripled this year.

I'm already seeing light up on my social media. Good years for promotion ahead mates!

Another whammy for the RCN is a member loses it for a bunch of reasons but these 2 will affect RCN folks more than most given many stay in the same area for large swathes of their career

205.453(4) (No Entitlement) There is no entitlement to CFHD if any of the following conditions apply:
  • the member receives CFHD while posted to the same place of duty for longer than 7 consecutive years;
  • the member receives CFHD in relation to the same permanent residence for longer than 7 consecutive years;
I guess that means that starting 1 Jul 2030 there will be a lot of sailors, and cubicle dwellers in Ottawa not getting the extra money anymore.

I guess that means that starting 1 Jul 2030 there will be a lot of sailors, and cubicle dwellers in Ottawa not getting the extra money anymore.
Cubicle dwellers in Ottawa started at 0 under the old (PLD) system — so at least they won’t see an immediate pay cut. But this does seem harsh to MS, POs and CPOs on the coasts, who are exactly the sort of people that would be expected to put down roots and who were previously eligible for PLD.

Cubicle dwellers in Ottawa started at 0 under the old (PLD) system — so at least they won’t see an immediate pay cut. But this does seem harsh to MS, POs and CPOs on the coasts, who are exactly the sort of people that would be expected to put down roots and who were previously eligible for PLD.
Fair point, and realistically, my housing benefit when it does come will mostly be symbolic... Might be enough to buy a steak and a six pack after taxes are taken off.

But only for 7 years in your posting.

This is going to gut the navy. The wording doesn’t specify 7 years of CFHD, just 7 years in their posting, consecutively. The offset is brining standard pay up, but that’s not helping all the MS / PO1s that are now facing some hard choices.

It also means a pay cut to Cpls and above in Edmonton — who were previously collecting 684 a month in PLD. Now clearly the economy of Edmonton isn’t exactly what it used to be — but the 1CMBG units in Edmonton used to be notorious for high attrition to the oil patch. This allowance risks encouraging the same kind of attrition, especially if it isn’t regularly adjusted and stays locked in for another 15 years.

This is going to gut the navy. The wording doesn’t specify 7 years of CFHD, just 7 years in their posting, consecutively. The offset is brining standard pay up, but that’s not helping all the MS / PO1s that are now facing some hard choices.
I just went back and re-read it... That's going to be even worse than I had though initially.

I understood the brief to be that the 7 year clock for CFHD starts July 1.

It also means a pay cut to Cpls and above in Edmonton — who were previously collecting 684 a month in PLD. Now clearly the economy of Edmonton isn’t exactly what it used to be — but the 1CMBG units in Edmonton used to be notorious for high attrition to the oil patch. This allowance risks encouraging the same kind of attrition, especially if it isn’t regularly adjusted and stays locked in for another 15 years.

I noticed that too.

Back