• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual RCN Great Lakes Tour (merged)

It just so happens...sorry for the all caps, it's from the message.

Excerpt from the Great Lakes Deployment OPORD (MON=HMCS Montreal, SHA=HMCS Shawinigan, SUM=HMCS Summerside)

3.A. CONOPS
3.A. (1) MON WILL CONDUCT PORT VISITS IN SUPPORT OF OP CONNECTION
IAW THE FOL SCHED AS ORDERED AT REF B AND DETAILED AT REF D:
A. DEPART HALIFAX 25 AUG
B. TROIS RIVIERES 27-30 AUG
C. TORONTO 1-6 SEP
D. PORT WELLER 6-8 SEP
E. HAMILTON 8-12 SEP
F. MONTREAL 14-19 SEP
G. POINTE AU PIC 20-22 SEP
H. GASPE 23-26 SEP
I. CORNER BROOK 27-29 SEP
J. ARRIVE HALIFAX 30 SEP
3.A. (2) SHA WILL CONDUCT PORT VISITS IN SUPPORT OF OP CONNECTION
A. DEPART HALIFAX 24 AUG
B. TROIS RIVIERES 28-30 AUG
C. TORONTO 1-6 SEP
D. WINDSOR 7-9 SEP
E. OWEN SOUND 10-12 SEP
F. LITTLE CURRENT 13-14 SEP
G. GODERICH 15-16 SEP
H. SARNIA 16-19 SEP
I. KINGSTON 21-23 SEP
J. SEPT ILES 26-28 SEP
I. ARRIVE HALIFAX 30 SEP
3.A. (3) SUM WILL CONDUCT PORT VISITS IN SUPPORT OF OP CONNECTION
A. DEPART NORTHERN OP TBD
B. MATANE 30-31 AUG
C. MONTREAL 1-2 SEP
C. TORONTO 4-6 SEP
D. WINDSOR 7-9 SEP
E. OWEN SOUND 10-12 SEP
F. LITLE CURRENT 13-14 SEP
G. GODERICH 15-16 SEP
H. SARNIA 16-19 SEP
I. KINGSTON 21-23 SEP
J. SEPT ILES 25-28 SEP
I. ARRIVE HALIFAX 30 SEP
3.A. (4) PORT VISIT DATES AND TIMES FOR GLD ARE UNCLAS AND MAY BE
DISSEMINATED
TO ALLOW FOR ADEQUATE PA PLAN AND OUTREACH EFFORTS TO
SUPPORT MISSION

We always get the word from the local media like maybe the day before or better yet via the TV, on the day they arrive and huge lines.
Have they released the tentative schedule yet for the tour this year?

Glad to see Kingston there, and having never seen one of our ships in person I'm looking forward to heading down for a tour!

<parochial northern Ontario rant>
Didn't realize Montreal and Corner Brook are on the Great Lakes - also missing Lake Superior.
</parochial northern Ontario rant>
But I'm not bitter....  ;D

Just for the information of the Montreal, on the Saturday all day there is several music venues all day. Free new C&W downtown at the Jackson Sq upper deck early afternoon, there is a art and pub crawl on James street near the pier. And the Locke Street Festival.
The city has a city trolley bus set up starting at 10. It goes from the next parking lot near the Wiliams coffee bar and the Discovery centre. Around the corner to your right from the Haida. 
Big article in the Hamilton Spectator.
Enjoy all close or semi close to you.

PuckChaser said:
Glad to see Kingston there, and having never seen one of our ships in person I'm looking forward to heading down for a tour!

It's too bad Montreal isn't stopping too, but I guess Kingston doesn't have adequate berthing for something that size.

In the event that any of the crew of HMCS Montreal are lurking on this board; a quick note to thank them for the recent stop in Hamilton.  Took the kids, enjoyed touring the ship.  Crew (including CFRC folks) were all extremely professional and courteous.

Mike5 said:
In the event that any of the crew of HMCS Montreal are lurking on this board; a quick note to thank them for the recent stop in Hamilton.  Took the kids, enjoyed touring the ship.  Crew (including CFRC folks) were all extremely professional and courteous.
They actually have their own GuestBook here:
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/montreal/6/6-s_eng.asp
but I notice there have been no entries for a while.

Bumped with the latest dates, and merging with other GX tour threads:
.... HMCS Ville de Québec will sail from Halifax through the St. Lawrence Seaway and into the Great Lakes starting on July 23 and returning to Halifax on October 9.  Halifax-based Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels, HMC Ships Moncton and Summerside, will participate later on during the deployment as well.

HMCS Ville de Québec will visit the following cities during the deployment:

Québec City, Québec, July 26 – 30;
    Montréal, Québec, July 30 – August 3;
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 8 – 13;
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, August 15 – 20;
    Toledo, Ohio, August 23 – 27;
    Toronto, Ontario, August 29 – September 3;
    Windsor, Ontario, September 5 – 10;
    Buffalo, New York, September 11 – 17;
    Hamilton, Ontario, September 18 – 21;
    Oshawa, Ontario, September 21 – 24;
    Cornwall, Ontario, September 25 – 27;
    Trois-Rivières, Québec, September 28 – October 1;
    Sept-Îles, Québec, October 2 – 5; and
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, October 9.

HMC Ships Moncton and Summerside will visit the following cities during the deployment:

Chicago, Illinois, August 15 – 20; and
    Cleveland, Ohio, August 28 – September 2.

United States Navy ships, USS De Wert and USS Hurricane will accompany our HMC Ships during designated stops along the deployment ....

I thought I'd just add to this thread rather then start a new one.  Video from the Business News Network interviewing the Commander of the RCN on a stop during the Great Lakes Tour with HMCS Ville de Quebec.  Overall I think Vice-Admiral Maddison did a good job!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/video/video-canadas-economy-floats-on-water/article4508713/

It's that time of year again ....
Her Majesty’s Canadian (HMC) Ships Glace Bay and Kingston departed Halifax today to conduct a seven-week period of coastal operations and training exercises until the end of July. As part of their deployment, these two Kingston-class Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels, and the Naval Reservists who crew them, will visit various ports of call along the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes, providing Canadians with opportunities to tour the warships and interact with their crews .... HMC Ships Glace Bay and Kingston will sail from Halifax through the St. Lawrence Seaway starting today and returning to Halifax at the end of July.  During the tour, Glace Bay and Kingston will visit the following ports of call:

Sydney, Nova Scotia, June 14-17;
    Chicoutimi, Québec, June 20-23;
    Toronto, Ontario, June 28 - July 2;
    Oshawa, Ontario, July 5-8;
    Port Colborne, Ontario, July 12-14; and
    Kingston, Ontario, July 12-15.

HMC Ships Glace Bay and Kingston are based out of Canadian Forces Base Halifax and are two of twelve Kingston-class Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels in the Royal Canadian Navy ....
DND/CF Info-machine, 12 Jun 13

Before anyone asks - no, you won't see a frigate doing a GLD this year due to the fact that a good portion of the HALIFAX class is involved with the mid-life refit at some stage or another, or is busy on operations.

She was here a few years ago....BIIIIG turnout to go aboard her.

Even the dumb Army guys like me were inpressed..:)

"HMCS Ville de Québec departs for Great Lakes Deployment
September 6, 2016 – Halifax, Nova Scotia – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Ville de Québec departed Halifax, N.S., today for a two- week tour of Canadian port cities along the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes.

HMCS Ville de Québec will visit the following cities:

Montreal, Quebec (September 9-11)
:cdn:Toronto, Ontario (September 13-18):cdn:
Brockville, Ontario (September 18-20)
Quebec City, Quebec (September 22-24)"

:cdn: Does anyone know where in Toronto this will take place at? Is it at HMCS York?:cdn:

Government of Canada. (2016). HMCS Ville de Québec departs for Great Lakes Deployment. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=2&nid=1120919&_ga=1.231999127.942722616.1453906295

BlueAngels14 said:
"HMCS Ville de Québec departs for Great Lakes Deployment
September 6, 2016 – Halifax, Nova Scotia – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Ville de Québec departed Halifax, N.S., today for a two- week tour of Canadian port cities along the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes.

HMCS Ville de Québec will visit the following cities:

Montreal, Quebec (September 9-11)
:cdn:Toronto, Ontario (September 13-18):cdn:
Brockville, Ontario (September 18-20)
Quebec City, Quebec (September 22-24)"

:cdn: Does anyone know where in Toronto this will take place at? Is it at HMCS York?:cdn:

Government of Canada. (2016). HMCS Ville de Québec departs for Great Lakes Deployment. Retrieved September 8, 2016 from http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=2&nid=1120919&_ga=1.231999127.942722616.1453906295

So much for not publicizing ships movements lol

Back