• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another Rant on Politicians & Parties: Split from Address by the Prime Minister

Zipper said:
Two. The criminals controlling the jails. As long as you have drugs getting into the jail, you have them under reasonable control. True fact if ugly. If you take the drugs away, they all go into DT's and start rioting. So unless we wish to accept a high body count in correctional officers from the riots or the prisoners from either the riots or killing themselves in the throws of the DT's, its the status quo. I don't like it any more then you. But there it is.

Its going to be interesting enough with the ban on smoking going into effect.

Give me a ******* break. If we started treating them like prisoners, and not coddle them like poor little babies, Explain to me the logic of throwing someone in jail for selling drugs and then giving him needles and turning a blind eye to him using and selling in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smoking ban has been in effect in Alberta jails since last October if memory serves me right....no riots have happened.

Y'all need to quit doing the ostrich thing and join the real world

Yep, we cut out the smoking at least 5/6 years ago in Ontario,.... no riots.
Lots of OT though, all dressed up and no fight to go. ;)

And to bring up point's then say you don't want to argue them is soooo fiberal. I guess it's pretty hard to argue back when there is nothing to stand on.
I guess if it walks like a duck.........

Thats just like Ujjal Dosanjh, he's been here, there and everywhere claiming that if the dreaded Tories form the next government "somebody might check your wallet before they check your pulse". But he's not so glib when it comes to explaining what his party has actually done to defend the cherished status quo. Particularly when it comes to the PM's home province of Quebec, where the provincial Liberals are using the Canada Health Act for kindling.
The number of treatments available privately in Quebec is growing monthly, but while other provinces are fined for messing with the CHA, in Quebec the Martin government looks the other way. "We've been working hard on the issue of enforcement of the CHA" insists Dosanjh. "We want to work in a way that doesn't aggravate the issues that exist in Canada. In a way that's co-operative and collaborative"
Yadda,yadda, yadda give the man a waffle iron.
The truth is that private treatment - everything from hip replacements to diagnostic test's- is becoming so prevalent and profitable in Quebec that providers are now advertising in neighboring Ontario. All with out a peep of protest from Martin or his trained seal Dosanjh

larry Strong said:
And to bring up point's then say you don't want to argue them is soooo fiberal. I guess it's pretty hard to argue back when there is nothing to stand on.

Thats just like Ujjal Dosanjh, he's been here, there and everywhere claiming that if the dreaded Tories form the next government "somebody might check your wallet before they check your pulse". But he's not so glib when it comes to explaining what his party has actually done to defend the cherished status quo. Particularly when it comes to the PM's home province of Quebec, where the provincial Liberals are using the Canada Health Act for kindling.
The number of treatments available privately in Quebec is growing monthly, but while other provinces are fined for messing with the CHA, in Quebec the Martin government looks the other way. "We've been working hard on the issue of enforcement of the CHA" insists Dosanjh. "We want to work in a way that doesn't aggravate the issues that exist in Canada. In a way that's co-operative and collaborative"
The truth is that private treatment - everything from hip replacements to diagnostic test's- is becoming so prevalent and profitable in Quebec that providers are now advertising in neighboring Ontario. All with out a peep of protest from Martin or his trained seal Dosanjh

Yes, indeed; and please don't make a fuss.  Montreal is closer (and cheaper) than Syracuse - the previous favourite Medicare safety valve for folks from Ottawa.

I like the fact that everyone is covered for all medically necessary treatments in Canada but I hate waiting in line for days, much less weeks and months, when there might be something wrong with me, and I don't begrudge some good, private, physician a few thousand dollars to deal with my concerns right now.  I know someone else's Aunt Nellie has greater 'need'  than I; let her use her nephew's gold card if she doesn't have one of her own.

Thank you. People forget that Dr's are a private enterprise to begin with, Do they want the government to buy them all out and put them on the public purse also. I still have 60% of my wage they could steal to do that with I guess...

Not out to take your purchased health care from you. Just shaking my head at the naivety of people

larry Strong said:
Give me a ******* break. If we started treating them like prisoners, and not coddle them like poor little babies, Explain to me the logic of throwing someone in jail for selling drugs and then giving him needles and turning a blind eye to him using and selling in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The smoking ban has been in effect in Alberta jails since last October if memory serves me right....no riots have happened.

Y'all need to quit doing the ostrich thing and join the real world

Couldn't agree more. However...          ...they TRY to a point to control the drugs coming in (And Bruce can probably attest to the REAL world on this), but only to a point. Keeping the bad guys "happy" means that they don't have to work as hard dealing with them (which is extremely draining), nor do they have to suit up their ETF guys as often (which fills up there very small seg units rather quickly). Not my idea of an ideal world, but as I said. There it is.

As for the smoking ban. Yes it has not been as big an issue in the provincial systems as they feared. However again...       ...the federal system is where you have your really bad ass people and larger populations of addiction. Is it going to be as easy there? Oh man I hope so.

As for Health. Unfortunatly the "creep" of private clinics has sped up considerably everywhere. There are dozens in Alberta now. Although most of them are private MRI/x-ray/CT units which the province is "justifing" by saying it is taking the strain off the system to speed up diagnosis.

Are we really in a health crisis? Or is it a temporary 10-15 year blip as the population gets older? Or will it be longer as our population grows?

One way to help out in this and save the system money, is to stop going to emergency just because you, your kid/spouse/friend/grandma has a sniffle or slightly elavated tempurature, fell and scratched yourself, etc. Wait and go to your family doctor, or just deal with it. There is no need to go unless it is life threatening (read emergency).

And don't get me started on Doctors themselves.

Small rant. :)

Quote,
Couldn't agree more. However...          ...they TRY to a point to control the drugs coming in (And Bruce can probably attest to the REAL world on this), but only to a point. Keeping the bad guys "happy" means that they don't have to work as hard dealing with them (which is extremely draining), nor do they have to suit up their ETF guys as often (which fills up there very small seg units rather quickly). Not my idea of an ideal world, but as I said. There it is.

As for the smoking ban. Yes it has not been as big an issue in the provincial systems as they feared. However again...      ...the federal system is where you have your really bad *** people and larger populations of addiction. Is it going to be as easy there? Oh man I hope so.

...agree with the first paragraph totally, the second one though I have a bit of a rebuttall, remember all those "bad ass people" had to go through a provincial system first while awaiting trial/sentencing/etc. I think the big problem is that because the Fed system has always bent over backwards to "coddle" their inmates, that it makes it harder to " clamp up".

....and if Mr. Campbell wishes to spend his OWN money on health care, its much better that he spends it in Canada.
A toast to your health, Edward. ;)

One way to help out in this and save the system money, is to stop going to emergency just because you, your kid/spouse/friend/grandma has a sniffle or slightly elavated tempurature, fell and scratched yourself, etc. Wait and go to your family doctor, or just deal with it. There is no need to go unless it is life threatening (read emergency).

hey do you live in Ontario?  If you do you would know that over 1.4 million Ontarians don't have a family doc to go too.  Walk in clinics are great but there hours suck and you don't get the same level of care, that's why many go to the emergency room.  At a walk in clinic you can't even get a doctor's note for work as they almost always refuse to sign them.

I see an easy way to get out of the doctor shortage though, let more students in to the program.  Right maybe 150 student get each year, and that is just not enough.  Allowing more to students to get in will not give us bad health care, just more doctors as they all have to meet the very high standards.

Zipper said:
One way to help out in this and save the system money, is to stop going to emergency just because you, your kid/spouse/friend/grandma has a sniffle or slightly elevated temperature, fell and scratched yourself, etc. Wait and go to your family doctor, or just deal with it. There is no need to go unless it is life threatening (read emergency).

People will go to emerg because it is "free". Every other government freebie is oversubscribed (look at the Universities which are subsidized to the tune of about 70% of their operating budget. If past posters like MMI are any indication, there is a big problem with the "product" coming out of them). Pension plans are getting stressed because so many people are choosing to take their pensions early, or applying for and getting disability pensions for "stress". Since there are very minimal penalties for doing so, people are off to the races, and the pension system is unsustainable.

Are we really in a health crisis? Or is it a temporary 10-15 year blip as the population gets older? Or will it be longer as our population grows?

Look at the demographics. The age wave in the population is no "blip", and there are fewer and fewer people in the follow on generations to support the wave.

Unfortunately the "creep" of private clinics has sped up considerably everywhere. There are dozens in Alberta now. Although most of them are private MRI/x-ray/CT units which the province is "justifing" by saying it is taking the strain off the system to speed up diagnosis.

The reason private clinics are "creeping" is because they fulfill a real need, which our current system cannot. The perverse incentives built into socialized health care make it imperative that system managers "manage resources" as opposed to helping patients. Sad to say, the ideal outcome in Canadian health care is that you die before the system has to expend resources on expensive treatments and procedures. Ever wonder why the average visit to the family doctor only lasts 7 min and the usual outcome is to get a prescription or pill? Ever wonder why health care is rationed to the extent that waiting lists for surgeries and procedures is six months and more?

Oddly enough, there is no crisis in dental care, because the vast majority of dentists are in privater practice which is not regulated or controlled by a government monopoly. I suppose you may have noticed that in most areas of commerce, you have a wide choice of goods and services, which are readily available and competitively priced. Don't you think the real reason for the "crisis" IS the distortion of market forces? Why do you think health care is not responsive to market forces?

How about setting up a system that test's or places in practicum, all the cab drivers and people doing menial jobs, instead of being Doctors because they were trained in foreign countries.

I have a handful of friends and acquaintances who work in CSC Bowden in Alberta, what they tell me, drugs not included here, that they are pretty well well paid baby sitters who can only sit an watch for the most part, as the have to be careful not to violate Bubba's rights. The same Bubba who did not give a Rats A** about your rights or mine.
If this country was not being ruined...oops I meant run by so many bleeding heart, fuzzy bunny slippered liberals, Bubba would have had to give up his rights upon being incarcerated.    Oh I forgot it's not Bubba's fault that he is in jail for theft, robbing a Ma and Pa convenience store or committing murder...we should all hang our heads as it's our fault. Pitiful. The lunatics really do run the asylum.

Just to lighten up the mood I that I would post this, I mean it is an ARMY surplus store. ;D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mon, April 25, 2005

Martin chew toy sales hot
Squeaks under pressure, a lot like real PM
By TODD SAELHOF, Sun Media

CALGARY -- The likeness of Prime Minister Paul Martin has become a dog's delight. That's because a squeeze toy in the PM's image has become a hot seller for pooch owners at an army surplus store.
The rubber toy is a bust of Martin that sports the PM dressed in a blue blazer, white shirt and Canadian flag tie.
And it squeaks under pressure -- somewhat resembling the Liberal leader, joked Crown Surplus owner Christine Cumming on Saturday as she watched her seven-year-old dog Jake gleefully wrap his jaws around the Liberal leader's rubber head.

FLYING OF THE SHELVES
"The joy is you can take the squeak out of it, so you don't have to listen to it," she said.
The $12 pet toy has been flying off the shelves in the last several weeks compared with just a dozen sold before AdScam became a national issue.
But with the alleged federal Liberal party involvement in the scandal, customers have snapped up 60 from Crown Surplus.
"I think it's because of the scandal, and because you can let your rage out on it," said Cumming of political pet toys also available in busts of George W. Bush and Osama bin Laden.

There was a picture in the Ottawa Citizen yesterday - just the head sticking out of a dog's jowls. Funniest thing I have seen in months. I busted a rib laughing ;D

I saw that in the paper Ii thought it was hilarious, just to far to justify going and buying

That was good.

Larry - Agreed that the CSC personal may just sit there. It all depends on the individual wardens policies and how far they wish to take them. Alot of them are not even ex-guards, but are paper pushers from the social services. As for being "tougher" on the prisoners...    ...not likely going to happen as the back lash from the public would be nasty in many cases. Canadians as a whole do not stomach the rougher treatment (that they know about >:D) of prisoners that some countries accept.

The ideas presented on say Dr. Phil that if you misbehave, you have a luxury taken away from you until you prove that your deserving. And if you continue to misbehave, you eventually get to where your sleeping on the floor just won't fly in prison. The prisoners burn their mattresses on a regular basis when they get upset/come down/etc. But do they take them away and say, "You burnt it. You sleep on the floor."? Hell no. They put them in seg for a few days (with a mattress) and then send them back to their newly mattressed cell. And in order to avoid their mattress's burning in seg? The CSC staff have to light their freaking cigs for them.

As for the health part...

One of the unfortunate results of free commerce in medicine is the movement of Doctors towards specializations. No one (few) seems to be interested in general practise anymore.

I agree that we should allow the educational standards to stand (with a test perhaps) of foreign trained Doctors and get them out of the cabs/etc.

You ideals have merit Majoor. The problem with it is that Canadians (myself one of them) do not want to see the less able/fortunate to be left in the lurch if they need medical attention. I read in the paper a day or so ago that the top 10% (rich) actually do pay the lions share of our tax bill. What caught me as surprising is that the top 10% simply have to make more then 64,500 a year to be in that category!! So what the hell is the breakdown of the other 90%?

So if we had private medicine? How many of us could actually afford it?

Not I.

Not yet anyway... :D

Zipper said:
So if we had private medicine? How many of us could actually afford it?

Well, we all could considering we would still be covered by Universal Health Insurance from the Government.  And the money will be there now that we are not forced to pay Doctors, Bureaucrats, and Unionized Health Sector employees who hold the public at ransom if they don't get pay and benefits for sweeping that are far above non-government unionized workplaces.

larry Strong said:

Not quite. As I said, the point being argued wasn't one of specific policy and I had no desire to redirect the discussion onto the myriad of issues which a platform represents. But keep up the temper tantrum, it reflects well on you.

Indeed - I don't disagree. Where we may disagree is the solution. I'd prefer a revamping and improvement of the existing system rather than an expansion into a full-fledged two-tier system. Easier said than done, I know, but if the public system is going to survive in a decent state, we have to have single system and that means seriously editing the existing one to eliminate the need for a second tier. Provinces jacking around their respective systems and constant fed-provincial hissy fits over funding issues are half the problem. Regarding Quebec, since the feds are scared sh-tless (especially now) about attempting to seriously enforce any kind of federal standards legislation in Quebec, for fear of spawning a revitalization of the separatist movement, I don't see any real changes happening here. Things may be able to improve elsewhere, though.

Since you got so excited about my not responding:
larry Strong said:
2, Funny Quebec has the highest amount of private for profit clinics in Canada, yet nobody says or does anything about it. Yet if you are a Conservative you automatically have a "Hidden Agenda"

Not at all, it's just that there's been a tendency amongst the more Reform-oriented Conservatives to ponder a two-tier system. Even the Progressive Conservatives in Ontario toyed with the idea, if I recall correctly. You have Liberals who'd opt for the two-tier system too, I'm just not aware of Martin's membership in an organization like the National Citizen's Coalition which has actively pushed for it.

3, Like our criminal courts and Jail system is working now, We don't run the jails anymore, the criminals do. If you doubt that, take the time to talk to any member of CSC that works the "Line". Not the management.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/946010/posts
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1114210757254_31
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/01/27/prison-tattoos050127.html

Where did I argue that conditional sentencing was a good thing? What I took issue with was a 3-strikes law which, in combination with trying 14 year old kids as adults, could see juveniles being locked up for life for 3 violent offences which, these days, could be little more than a schoolyard fight. I really don't object to the Conservatives' proposal for earned parole instead of statutory parole and more stringent enforcement of life sentences.

Where I said that prisons were too harsh, I don't recall either. What the hell do dangerous offender status and a 3 strikes law have to do with prison tattoo funding?

4, See the second link above.

What does gay marriage have to do with non-enforcement of conditional sentences?

5, You have people that don't show up for the majority of sittings, you have cronyism, you have people given Senate jobs that don't represent the will of the population of their province, You call this working!!!!

Of course it's cronyism - so are SCC appointments, to a degree, but I wouldn't argue that we should start electing our Supreme Court justices. There needs to be alteration in the regional composition of the Senate, no doubt about it, as the west is severely under-represented but I don't take issue with it being staffed by appointment. Both the Conservatives and Liberals have been stacking the Senate whenever they could, but it hasn't been the source of any great catastrophes. On the contrary - the Senate's shooting down of the GST bill and the Abortion Act were both acts in keeping with the public's will. If you want to look somewhere for an effective change, look at Charter reform. Governmental bypassing of regulations through the invocation of random sections does more to undermine the process than an appointed senate.

6, Why not, Then the field would be even and fair.

I don't think it's unfair presently. Everyone gets the same kick a the can if they can get into government. Letting the PM call the elections also allows the public to pressure him/her into doing it. If there was a crisis of legitimacy in a majority government after 2 years of office, you'd have no effective method of solving the problem because you're locked in to a 4 year cycle.

I suppose you are all in favor of the "First past the post" that we have now where a minority can elect the government of the day, where's the democracy in that.

Plurality voting has its advantages and disadvantages - one of the primary advantages being its simplicity. I don't particularly like the system, though, and I think something like the Single Transferable Vote might work better.

You also say the Gun registry hasn't worked and it's not likely to work, yet you don't have a problem with wasting more money there. what the heck colour is the sky you wake up to!!!

Where did I say I didn't have a problem with wasting more money there? I said scrap it - hence why I put it under the "AGREE" column. I said it seemed like a waste of money since everything's already been set up; I didn't say "Don't scrap it" or I'd have said I DISAGREED with the policy. Ideally, they could use the infrastructure for some other program but given its specificity, I doubt it's possible. Dare to dream, I guess. Stop manufacturing straw men to attack.

I think the billion or so that has been spent there would be better spent hiring more police officers. But then we might put more criminals in jail something you obviously are not in favor of, Part 3 of your response.

Another straw man, eh? Where'd I say I wasn't in favour of putting criminals in jail? I said I didn't want juveniles labelled dangerous offenders after 3 violent offences. I didn't say DON'T punish them and I didn't say DON'T make that punishment time in detention - by all means, punish them and do it with jail time if necessary.

Glorified Ape said:
Plurality voting has its advantages and disadvantages - one of the primary advantages being its simplicity. I don't particularly like the system, though, and I think something like the Single Transferable Vote might work better.

Yuk, we're voting on this in BC right now for the Province and it is nothing but an Academic Frankenstein (thanks MDB).

How you elect people to a house makes no difference if you still have a bunch of elites within the party structure running the show.  In Canada, nothing will change the fact that we have a de facto unicameral house that has most of its powers centralized within Cabinet and, more particularly, the PMO.

I still think that the real solution lies in:

1) checks and balances between legislative and executive functions of which a true bicameral house is important.

2)  A check on the centrality of the Party line and partisan politics.  As my favorite Edmund Burke quote goes:

"Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but Parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole.  You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not a member of Bristol, but is a member of Parliament."

Sorry to shift gears here, but I just saw (and read) this thread and have to throw something out there...

A lot of Canadians say they don't want another Federal election right now. Too soon, they say. Well, sorry folks, this is the down side of a democracy. Sometimes you HAVE to have an election, whether it fits into your summer plans in cottage country or not. We can't afford to leave the foxes in the henhouse much longer or we'll run out of hens.

I like the following analogy when thinking of our esteemed PM's request to wait until the report before going to an election: If you were wealthy, and had a financial manager to do all of your investing, banking, taxes, etc, and you found out that his staff was embezzling and stealing thousands of dollars a year from you....would you allow this 'leader' to continue manging your money while the authorities investigate? Or would you fire him, while you still have some money?

Don't forget that Paul shut down the first investigation (sorry, can't remember the name of it) into Adscam in order to hold the election (or so he said), saying, 'I don't want the inquiry to get in the way of the election' (or words to that effect). So let me get this straight Paul - when your poop don't stink, we need to shut down the inquiry so we don't pollute the voter's minds, but when the Grits look like modern day Caligula's, we need to wait for all the details to come out first before we go to the polls? Give me a break.

As far as Jack Layton goes - what a sell-out. Of course he'll prostitute himself and his fringe party out to keep this good thing goin'. His standing in Parliament, and more importantly the number of NDP seats, is his best-case scenario. He can't improve on that, so why would he want to end it so soon? Too bad he looks like he has the integrity of a used car salesman. Looks like one too.

Sorry, had to do that. I feel better now.

Infanteer said:
Yuk, we're voting on this in BC right now for the Province and it is nothing but an Academic Frankenstein (thanks MDB).

How you elect people to a house makes no difference if you still have a bunch of elites within the party structure running the show.   In Canada, nothing will change the fact that we have a de facto unicameral house that has most of its powers centralized within Cabinet and, more particularly, the PMO.

I still think that the real solution lies in:

1) checks and balances between legislative and executive functions of which a true bicameral house is important.

2)   A check on the centrality of the Party line and partisan politics.   As my favorite Edmund Burke quote goes:

"Parliament is not a congress of ambassadors from different and hostile interests; which interests each must maintain, as agent and advocate, against other agents and advocates; but Parliament is a deliberative assembly of one nation, with one interest, that of the whole; where, not local purposes, not local prejudices ought to guide, but the general good, resulting from the general reason of the whole.   You choose a member indeed; but when you have chosen him, he is not a member of Bristol, but is a member of Parliament."

I take from the first part that you're in favour of serious senate reform. As I said before, I can understand the points, I'm just not sure it's really necessary. The "elites" problem you're describing is an effect of political parties themselves, not so much a lack of popular consultation, imo.

I agree with you about party politics - alot of the actual "national concern" gets lost in partisan rivalry. That's why I'm getting increasingly sick of hardcore partisan jackasses, both of the elite and the general population, who make everything into a partisan issue and stamp everything bad, regardless of the participation therein of their own members, as the responsibility of the opposing party or somehow hued with the tones of the opposition. It's crap like that that earns Fox News its viewer base.

From what I've heard, a Single Transferable Vote system may actually reduce this, to some small degree, by increasing the likelihood of small parties/independent members gaining seats. I wonder sometimes whether political parties will eventually be regarded with the same hindsight disdain that slavery, capital punishment, or bloodletting are. Hopefully, but doubtful - common interests breed organization for the achievement thereof, I guess. Unless you legislate it out of the realm of legality, which is personally my favourite approach. :D

I thought THIS quote pertained to your second paragraph quite well:

"The old parties are husks, with no real soul within either, divided on artificial lines, boss-ridden and privilege-controlled, each a jumble of incongruous elements, and neither daring to speak out wisely and fearlessly on what should be said on the vital issues of the day."

- Teddy Roosevelt

>we have to have single system and that means seriously editing the existing one to eliminate the need for a second tier

I realize this is a small sidebar, but how in your monolithic public system without the presence of a free market do you determine how much to pay all the service providers?

Back