• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any NETech(285) here?

E

EasyCo

Looks like 285's are in demand and I applied last week, I was just wondering what the pluses and minuses are for this trade.

Tks.

We have 2 ex-navy guys here on course and they said its not bad except when you do port calls overseas...when everybody goes to shore to have fun...NET's have to stay and fix the ship !!!  Thats all i have on the subject, not being ex-navy myself.

It was my last choice but I have this iching feeling that when I do get a call, it'll be for that.  I much rather LCIS tech or Sig Op.

After 11 years in the army and almost 1 in the air force i can say this :

in all 3 of your choices.....better you than me !!!

Good luck, have fun

I'm a NET 285 :)  What do you want to know?  I've been in under a year, but I'm sure I can answer some questions.

I just want your general impressions.
Do you enjoy it?  Do you get out much, meaning are you always working in dark places pretty 24/7?  Do you actually do boat husbandry stuff & help in the kitchen(I saw this on the video).  What do you like about it and what do you dislike about it?

EasyCo said:
I just want your general impressions.
Do you enjoy it?   Do you get out much, meaning are you always working in dark places pretty 24/7?   Do you actually do boat husbandry stuff & help in the kitchen(I saw this on the video).   What do you like about it and what do you dislike about it?

It's a good trade to get into.  It's tough on the schooling though, you have to be good at your math and physics.  No you are not always working in dark places 24/7, but there are times when there isn't a lot of light.  Everyone on ship will do cleaning stations, it just all depends on what yours will be, and working around or with the kitchen could be one, it's hard to say.  The trade is good because most of the time it will keep you busy and you can learn things that you can keep after you get out of the military and back onto civy street.  There isnt' much I dislike about it other than it's a hard sea trade, which means you will be out to see a lot.  I hope that helps; if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

What about as mentioned above:  When the ship is docket overseas, do you get anytime off ship?  Does it ever get long being on a ship as sea, especially during the winter season?

What's the general conditioin of the ship you're stationned on?  Is it falling apart ;)

yes you do get time on the shore when you are at shore.  on average you'd stay docked up for 2 to 3 days.  For ships, the seasons don't really matter.  And all ships are not all perfect, each have their own faults (no it's not falling apart).

Thanks for the replies.  When I mentioned winter I meant that it's got to be pretty bloody frigid at sea during the winter when you're outside fixing a system(Not that I'd mind, but I can see it being pretty depressing after a while)

EasyCo said:
Thanks for the replies.   When I mentioned winter I meant that it's got to be pretty bloody frigid at sea during the winter when you're outside fixing a system(Not that I'd mind, but I can see it being pretty depressing after a while)

The seas can get rough sometimes, but if it's too dangerous, you wont be out fixing something in it, unless it's a must.

Just as a caution ... NET's whine a lot about the operators, who in turn whine a lot about the techs. Both complain they don't get enough time in their pits, but everybody knows the NET's get more rack time than everyone else!!! Plus, they get paid more money, but that's okay, because NET's aren't nearly as good looking as operators, thus the tech's are very lonely in port. That's the real reason they don't leave the ship. LOL ;)

lol...   the operators get paid just as much.   They got the spec 1 pay to...   just for retention reasons!   What's the training for operators?   6 to 8 monts?    Techs = 2 years minimum.

Well I guess I'll have to change that idea about NETechs being unattractive cause I'm to die for :p
What's RACK time?

Not our fault it takes longer to train you... I guess we just pick things up faster. ;D

A rack is a bunk.

I ment to say 2 years up there, I changed it now.  ANd no, we are all the hot ones.  Operator is slack job..  just sittin' there breaking things. 

"Hey tech, my monitor wont work" 
"What's wrong with it?"
"I don't know, just wont show anything"
Tech walks up and turns up the brightness.
"There, happy?"

:D

Hehe, I'm a Computer Systems college graduate so I'm hoping that'll give me an edge in training and selection for NET or LCIS.

EasyCo said:
Hehe, I'm a Computer Systems college graduate so I'm hoping that'll give me an edge in training and selection for NET or LCIS.

It should give you something  :)

I've been a 284 NET(C) now for 12 years. I must say that the 3 NET trades are good. There obviously is a lot of work to become one. You can either join as an already qualified tech, go through the apprentice/journeyman program or NCSTTP at St.John's Newfoundland. All have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day you do have to complete a lot of work after hours while alongside foreign or home ports.

As for the whining that goes on, I believe that it is normal as all personnel think that their trade is the best and any criticism from another trade is considered whining.

The 285 trade definitely needs someone who has a good handle on electronics, work up the mast and can think on their feet.

If you ask me, all 3 of the NET trades are a great choice....

Navalsnpr: check your PM's in a minute or 2, and welcome to the site-we need more Navy types here!!

Back