• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any NETech(285) here?

whiskey 601,

Thanks for the welcome note.

Been browsing this site for years, and finally got off my behind and joined.

Thanks alot for all the responses.  I'm still pretty torn between LCIS Tech and NE Tech, but I guess we'll see.

EasyCo,

Like all trades, they have there pros and cons.

I think you need to ask yourself what you would prefer, life in the field, or life on a ship.  Both of which has their pros and cons.

It's hard to say, I've never been on a ship before so I'm not sure what to expect.
On another note, I got a call today from my recruiter to go do my aptitude test and interview.  ;D

For me serving in both the Navy and in the past the Army, I can now say I've seen both sides of the fence.

At first I was a bit apprehensive when I changed over to the Navy, but now, I think it was a good choice for me. I don't get sea sick (knocking on wood here), and while at sea we still have email, Satellite TV (depending on what region of the world we are in), hot food every day, a bed and locker you can call your own and showers. But like everyone on a ship, the ship comes first and has the first priority. Meaning that if there are evolutions that require a lot of bodies, you can be assured that people from all departments must chip in to get the task completed. This includes striking down food and supplies, tending lines during entering/leaving harbors or RAS's.

While you are at the recruiters, try and talk to both an Army and Navy Recruiter as they will be able to answer questions for you. That is probably the best advice I can give.

Thanks Navalsnpr, I'm heading for my aptitude and interview Thursday at 12:45 so I'll ask them.
I'm inclined towards Navy because it seems you're IN the field(Ship) rather then in a hanger of office.  I currently work in an office and could work in a hanger if I wanted to.  Working on a ship however is something new and not so common.

As a tech that may be entering the Navy what are a few things that I could expect ?
I have 10 years experience in the following areas :

calibration
R and D
documentation
testing and repair

Donaill,

If you are already a qualified electronics tech, you may qualify for a bonus up to $20K. You would have to ask the recruiting officer for more details.

As a tech in the Navy, you would mainly start off with hands on style jobs with some paperwork involved. As you progress in your career, you would end up doing less hands on and more engineering style jobs or become an instructor.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for my tardiness in answering.  We have been without power for 4 days.

Donaill,

Don't worry about it, I just replied myself yesterday.

Good to hear that your power is back. I hope this isn't an indication of the type of winter we are in for.

I hope not. Four days without hydro was bad enough. It is hard to keep food outside with coyotes around.

On the bright side though, I have yet to hear back from the recruiters. I will hopefully be accepted and be able to go to basic in the spring. Better than in midwinter.

Peace

Back