• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

I'm sure that this will ruffle some feathers on what Asterix will be providing going forward.

Canadian Navy’s CSS Asterix to get AI-based onboard vegetable farm​

I'm sure that this will ruffle some feathers on what Asterix will be providing going forward.

Canadian Navy’s CSS Asterix to get AI-based onboard vegetable farm​

This was already looked at for the Arctic Patrol ships a few years ago. Ultimately it was decided against.

I see how it could work for Asterix, but not AOPS. Fresh veggies or at least fresh herbs would be amazing at sea.
Fresh herbs?

Tommy Chong Weed GIF by Paramount Movies

A lot more room aboard a ship like Asterix for this sort of thing compared to AOPS.
I would of assumed that was the reason, how much yield etc. Although fresh does last for more than 7 days refrigerated.

Last edited:
I would of assumed that was the reason, how much yield etc. Although fresh does last for than 7 days refrigerated.

We carry 14 days Fresh on the CPFs, I am assuming Asterix would carry more.

If anyone is interested we carry:

14 Days Fresh
14 Days Dairy
30 Days Frozen
30 Days Dry/Flour

After 14 days we we switch to frozen and/or canned veggies and fruit, frozen liquid eggs and UHT milk.

And we can resupply vittles underway by means of RAS, by a heavy jackstay.

On Preserver (I miss her) we used to carry much more than this, We also used to have a refer sea can on one of the waist decks from time to time to resupply the frigates and destroyers as required.

A buddy of mine Rob on one of the AOPS was growing his own tomato plants on the bridge wings - worked out OK from what I gather.
I would be fully onboard with that experiment. And would baby the hell outta them. Gardening and 40k are my hobbies. Carrots, lettuce, kale, bush beans and snap/snow peas are also really good to grow in the various climatic conditions that would be on a bridge wing. Only issue is salt contamination of the soil and the maturity time. Carrots in particular are about 50 days to mature.

Also there is the concerns about "fruits and veg" through other countries customs authorities. Should be ok as long as they are left on the ship.

There is a Mister Roberts meme here somewhere...

Back