• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Approved Leave and they want to put me on a career course

rocksteady

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I have an approved leave pass and they want to put me on PLQ Mod 2 during the time.  I already have flights for my wife, son and I and a hotel booked and paid for.  On top of things my family is supposed to meet our son for the first time which is why we are taking the trip and they have booked time off work for us to come.

My first question is does PLQ constitute a "military requirement" (as stated in QR & O 16.01) with respect to being able to cancel my leave?  The spirit of term "military requirement" seems as though it would be for operational purposes vs. just about anything but I could be wrong.

Secondly, can they force me to cancel my flight and they pay the cancellation fees and hotel stay or do they have to pay for the flight?  The reason I ask as it does not say I must cancel my flight.

Any opinions/knowledge on this situation would be appreciated.

Refs below.  I reviewed CBI 209.54 but I can't access the corresponding CFAO from home.

209.54 - Reimbursement of Expenses when Recalled from or on Cancellation of Leave
209.54(1) (Application) SSubject to paragraph (2), an officer or non-commissioned member who is recalled to duty from leave in accordance with QR&O 16.01 (Withholding of and Recall From Leave) or whose approved leave has been cancelled for service reasons may be reimbursed for:

transportation and travelling expenses in accordance with CBI 209.83 - Transportation and Travelling Expenses – Move of Officers and Non-commissioned Members on Posting or of Dependants for the member and, where applicable, their dependants to the place of duty from the place from which the member was recalled and for the return journey if the member resumes leave immediately after completion of the duty for which the member was recalled; and
additional expenses resulting either from the cost of breaking contractual arrangements or cancellation fees that were made specifically for the purpose of an approved leave period.
209.54(2) (Submission of claims for reimbursement) Claims for reimbursement under paragraph (1) shall be submitted in accordance with orders and instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

QR & O 16.01 - WITHHOLDING OF AND RECALL FROM LEAVE

(1) Leave may be withheld from an officer or non-commissioned member only when there is a military requirement to do so.

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member on leave may be recalled to duty only:

because of imperative military requirements; and
when the member’s commanding officer personally directs the member’s return to duty.
(3) An officer or non-commissioned member recalled to duty under paragraph (2) ceases to be on leave and is on duty during the period of the journey from the place from which he is recalled to his place of duty and during the period of the return journey if he resumes leave immediately after completion of the duty for which he was recalled.

When I last was working in Ops, a new PLQ mod 2 started somewhere in the country several times a month. There literally was no course that I found it easier to load soldiers on.

I do not know what else there may be to your story, however if your leave got approval it should have been seen by at least someone who would be in the chain for putting you on that course.

This seems like a very simple fix. Undoubtedly your unit has at least one other person in the queue to start PLQ. Switch you out for them, and then load you on the next PLQ mod 2 that doesn't conflict with higher priority uses they may have for you.

But that's just me. I put a lot of stock in approved leave passes, personally.

Well I'm actually the 2nd guy in the que for PLQ in my unit.  The first guy also has an approved leave pass for personal travel during part of the PLQ time.  He is also on a high readiness team that has done work up training which finishes also during the PLQ time.  So really there is no one else in my unit that can go on the training.

I'm not sure if the CO knows about it yet or not but he would have to as he is the only one that can cancel my leave as far as I know??

The way I see it, you have two options:

1.  You can submit a memo/leave amendment form to cancel your leave; or
2.  You can submit a memo to not accept the course load.

In my honest opinion (IMHO), option 1 is the best course of action and I recommend it.  PLQ is a CAREER course.  There maybe consequences to not accepting your PLQ.  Turning down a career course will trigger the career shop to possibly initiate an Administrative Review (AR).  Unless you fail off the course, you won't have to do it again... count it as "one in the books" sorta speak.  Once your course is done, you have that time (or not depending on circumstances both unitwise and family availability) to reschedule your trip. 

I say go for the PLQ!!!  You may regret it if you don't :) 

...and I would say family "first" and job "second".  You can always get a new job..............

lcis00110 said:

In my honest opinion (IMHO), option 1 is the best course of action and I recommend it.  PLQ is a CAREER course.  There maybe consequences to not accepting your PLQ.  Turning down a career course will trigger the career shop to possibly initiate an Administrative Review (AR).  Unless you fail off the course, you won't have to do it again... count it as "one in the books" sorta speak.  Once your course is done, you have that time (or not depending on circumstances both unitwise and family availability) to reschedule your trip. 

Assuming the OP has given us the full story, this is bollocks advice.

If you have a signed leave pass and then request a cancellation of your own leave, YOU are on the hook for any financial implications arising. If the Commanding Officer orders you off leave, then he/she must pay.

There will always be another PLQ course.  Trust me.

The courses are loaded automatically from your Career shop and it's normally done without consult with the Unit.  I honestly can't remember that last time I sent someone on a course based upon the first message we got.  There should be no reason why your Unit can't go back and ask for you to be rescheduled.  It happens all the time.

SeaKingTacco said:

If you have a signed leave pass and then request a cancellation of your own leave, YOU are on the hook for any financial implications arising. If the Commanding Officer orders you off leave, then he/she must pay.

I agree. 

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...and I would say family "first" and job "second".  You can always get a new job..............

I agree with your outlook totally and given the "revolving door" on issuing PLQ messages and how easily people can get swapped out I wouldn't have a worry requesting the change.  Your leave was approved, your costs were uncured and plans were set.  The costs to DND to cancel your leave and reimburse your costs would be too much for a course that can easily be rescheduled.

lcis00110 said:

Bollix.  OP needs to submit a memo stating that due to a prior family commitment that would cause undue financial hardship to cancel, he requests to be withdrawn from the course, with a willingness to attend the training in future.

SeaKingTacco said:

Yes, this is the whole story.  There is really nothing else to tell.  I have never been offered PLQ before and I have been waiting since 2012 when I got promoted to go on it.  I just simply have travel plans booked.

Some have said my advice is bollix, so please ensure that you read my post thoroughly as I indicated lots of "MAYBE"s in it.  I can't say for sure what outcomes will happen... MAYBE nothing... MAYBE an AR... MAYBE.  I just offered options that's all.  :)

If it has to go this way, what about the fact that I am Roman Catholic and I am going home for Easter holidays?  I know if I was Muslim and the course was during Ramadan that I would not be on the course.

Kat Stevens said, "OP needs to submit a memo stating that due to a prior family commitment that would cause undue financial hardship to cancel, he requests to be withdrawn from the course, with a willingness to attend the training in future." 

This is a great option for you as well.

rocksteady said:
If it has to go this way, what about the fact that I am Roman Catholic and I am going home for Easter holidays?  I know if I was Muslim and the course was during Ramadan that I would not be on the course.

referee-showing-yellow-card.jpg

Be careful that is a slippery slope....let's not get into the religion debate.

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Kat Stevens said:
Bollix.  OP needs to submit a memo stating that due to a prior family commitment that would cause undue financial hardship to cancel, he requests to be withdrawn from the course, with a willingness to attend the training in future.

:goodpost:

I highly suggest you follow this sage advice.

rocksteady said:
Yes, this is the whole story.  There is really nothing else to tell.  I have never been offered PLQ before and I have been waiting since 2012 when I got promoted to go on it.  I just simply have travel plans booked.

Will you have been Acting/Lacking for more than two years if you decline this PLQ?  One more question worth clarifying with your career shop/unit if/when you request to go on another PLQ.

On a separate note PLQ was a waste of 8 weeks, I didn't gain anything towards my leadership component. I would take family matters much more seriously over whatever the CF has you doing. In the end this is a volunteer force and to me, family takes precedence - short of the invasion of Canada. ;)

Back