• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Soldier Open/Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbrian

Inactive
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this post for people to post information about:

-armoured soldier trade's state in terms of preferred manning level (currently open or closed)
-how open they are at April 2012
-component transfer (or CT-OT) from reserves and if they're taking transfers
-tips/ advices prior to DP1

Pretty much all questions that can be answered by a recruiter for the interested party, and yet even then are difficult to answer with pinpoint accuracy. Even the lowly trooper can tell you regiments in the Corps. are bursting at the seams right now in terms of numbers. Our transport troop is the size of an entire tank squadron right now as it's the only place that has "room" for new guys to go when they arrive at regiment. As far as I can tell, they're hiring strictly for turnover from releasing and retiring personnel.

As for tips for prior to DP1, passing basic is always a good idea.  ;D

I have done BMQ already  ;D
and will be CT-OTing to Reg F as Recruit Bypass? Bootcamp bypass? i don't know.

and yea i've visited CFRC Toronto and spoke to a recruiter who only told me  "become an officer."
but knowing how bloated combat arms is right now.. I'm still going to CT to armoured no matter how long i have to wait.
I bet it'll be worth every minute :)

And while I wait for Reg F to take me, I can still stay with the reserves and continue my uni studies until I get offered.

Please do tell me more about how things are at DP1  :nod:
It would help if you compare things to BMQ perhaps? 

Wasn't there a CANFORGEN out that ceased CTs to Reg Force Combat Arms for the time being?

kimbrian said:

If just did a reserve BMQ chances are you'll need to redo it when you get to the regular force.  I'm not sure the magical formula they use to determine just when you can skip BMQ/by-pass but I've known fully trained reserve infanteers who have had to redo basic training when they CT'd while others needed to just redo battleschool and some when right into battalion.

I had a friend who was in the reserves (Infantry) as a corporal. He did a tour where we drove around stupid little jeeps (Iltis) and I remember him saying screw this I'm going to drive tanks.
He CTed to regular force armored trade, got his commission to be an officer. 

The next time I saw him he was a platoon commander (troop commander?) for 4 Leapord2 tanks in Afghanistan - not a bad upgrade.

If you want armored fight tooth and nail for it. It's your life. Don't settle for something else cause you can't turn back the clock.

Eye In The Sky said:
Wasn't there a CANFORGEN out that ceased CTs to Reg Force Combat Arms for the time being?

IIRC, it was a specific program for reservists who had just returned from Afghanistan.

CDN Aviator said:
IIRC, it was a specific program for reservists who had just returned from Afghanistan.

Roger, thats the CANFORGEN I was referring to, the one that ceased that program.  I'll look tomorrow and post it, I know I saw it in the 2011 ones.

Grimaldus said:
If just did a reserve BMQ chances are you'll need to redo it when you get to the regular force.  I'm not sure the magical formula they use to determine just when you can skip BMQ/by-pass but I've known fully trained reserve infanteers who have had to redo basic training when they CT'd while others needed to just redo battleschool and some when right into battalion.

I had a friend who was in the reserves (Infantry) as a corporal. He did a tour where we drove around stupid little jeeps (Iltis) and I remember him saying screw this I'm going to drive tanks.
He CTed to regular force armored trade, got his commission to be an officer. 

The next time I saw him he was a platoon commander (troop commander?) for 4 Leapord2 tanks in Afghanistan - not a bad upgrade.

If you want armored fight tooth and nail for it. It's your life. Don't settle for something else cause you can't turn back the clock.

BMQ/SQ = BMQ and SQ in RegF.

Candidates don't usually even get looked at for CT unless they have BMQ AND SQ in the reserves.

Fully trained infanteers repeating BMQ? Sounds like a file manager didn't do their job and do a PLAR.

I haven't seen or heard of a case of BMQ/SQ candidates losing that qualification upon CT even with OT.

Only thing here is he will have to repeat SQ as it is part of DP1 Armour.

kimbrian said:

and yea i've visited CFRC Toronto and spoke to a recruiter who only told me  "become an officer."
but knowing how bloated combat arms is right now.. I'm still going to CT to armoured no matter how long i have to wait.
I bet it'll be worth every minute :)

And while I wait for Reg F to take me, I can still stay with the reserves and continue my uni studies until I get offered.

Please do tell me more about how things are at DP1  :nod:
It would help if you compare things to BMQ perhaps?

There  are also different SIPs (Strategic Intake Plan) for CFRG (recruiting centre numbers) and D MIL C (CT/OT Numbers).

About BMQ, I confirmed with the instructors, chief clerk of unit, and CFRC Toronto recruiter that my BMQ qualification will be counted as Reg F and I won't have to do it again if I happen to switch over (which I am  ;) )

But I did hear that from now on, naval reservists will do "fleet schools" which don't count as Reg F BMQ. (I was very lucky!)

And about the CT cease.. I would very much like to hear about that. And thank you for the heads up.
Had no idea they could be doing that.
The only thing is that when I received an email from Ottawa saying I'm ineligible for Arty because I'm CV3,
they said that if i choose either infantry or armoured, the file will continue through, not mention about the cease in CT to combatarms.

BTW thank you for the posts! Please do keep it coming  ;D

SevenSixTwo said:
I haven't seen or heard of a case of BMQ/SQ candidates losing that qualification upon CT even with OT.

I thought it was a waste but they told him if he wants to CT he needed to take basic over again.

kimbrian said:
About BMQ, I confirmed with the instructors, chief clerk of unit, and CFRC Toronto recruiter that my BMQ qualification will be counted as Reg F and I won't have to do it again if I happen to switch over (which I am  ;) )
People like to give answers even when it's out of their lanes (which is what I'm doing now ;)  )

I'm not so sure that it's up to instructors, the chief clerk or recruiting whether you get to keep your course or not.  I was always under the assumption that it was somewhere else that sat down with a members files and decided what courses they could bring over to the regular force and what ones they couldn't.
It could be a CFRC thing, fairly sure it's not up to a chief clerk or instructors.

Good luck either way

From what I remember about that CANFORGEN it ceased the offering of Reg Force contracts(go straight to the unit they were on tour with) to Combat Arms reservists on their return from tour.  I believe going through the regular Componet Transfer procedure was still good.

As for getting Recruit School By Pass,  from what I remember you need to have BMQ completed and a certain amount of Class A/B/C days.  The CFRC should know the current rules on that or I would assume able to get the info; best to confirm everything with the CFRC you are dealing with Kimbrian and don't count on anything until you see it written on the contract they offer you.

The policies for RSBP and carrying over rank etc seem to be applied rather inconsistently. I was once told the official "policy" but from what I have seen in my limited experience, I would have to question how "official" any policy on the matter is. I think you should be good to go for RSBP but if anyone trys to give you the run around, send me a message and I will try to get you in touch with some competent people.

Furthermore, check your PM's when you get a chance.

Cheers,

Spectrum

Eye In The Sky said:
Roger, thats the CANFORGEN I was referring to, the one that ceased that program.  I'll look tomorrow and post it, I know I saw it in the 2011 ones.

Reviewing the CANFORGEN (166/11), I don't think it applies to CT/OT applicants. 

HOWEVER, Crmn is almost at PML (looking at the DGPR Occupation Status report), with PML/TES #s of 1962/1916.  There are likely more accurate #s out there.

You'll only know for sure by applying; then the CT folks at D Mil C will be able to say for certain.

Grimaldus said:
I'm not so sure that it's up to instructors, the chief clerk or recruiting whether you get to keep your course or not.  I was always under the assumption that it was somewhere else that sat down with a members files and decided what courses they could bring over to the regular force and what ones they couldn't.
It could be a CFRC thing, fairly sure it's not up to a chief clerk or instructors.

PLARs for Army is done by DAT (Directorate Army Training), a sub-unit of LFDTS (Land Force Doctrine and Training System).  The applic order is LFCO 24-20.

Without trying to paraphrase 17 pages of the Order, I'll just say if you are really interested in reading it, its avail on the DIN, request a copy thru your CofC.  I don't think its avail on the internet so I won't post it here.

I think you can safely assume however that a CT application will hit DAT for the decision on equivalancies for army CT applicants and anyone CTing into an Army Managed MOSID.

I applied for a CT to armour when I first joined the reserves. Ive been in for over a year now, got my BMQ and SQ, and I just heard only a few days ago about my upcoming interview. From those I've talked to in reg force armoured regiments, there really are only a few positions open at the moment, however, with the acquisition of new tanks and recce vehicles in the future, more positions should be opening up. One thing I cant find out is whether or not they let you choose to be a tanker or a recce soldier on your DP1, because in the U.S military I know you can choose. Anyone know?

-Cheers 

The new vehicles coming in won't open up any new spots....in fact the recce vehicles could actually cost spots in the troops to be lost as from what I've heard it's a crew of 3 rather than 4.

As for whether or not you get to choose tank or Recce....as far as I know for the most part you will still get to goto your regiment of choice on after DP1....go Strats you will be a tanker.  Go RCD or 12 RBC odds are VERY high you will be recce.

armourhopeful said:
because in the U.S military I know you can choose. Anyone know?

We're not the US Military.

The US Army, for example, has seperate trades for tanks and armored scout. It does not work like here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back