• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Soldier Questions

IslandTrooper said:
Thanks guys, I knew when I typed that, that something wasn't right. As you can tell, I am fairly new to the game. I have a question with regards to movement and obstacle drills on the Leo's... are they the same or do the tankers do it there own way. Just thinking that Tanks don't really have a spare person to be a GIB. Instead of using a dismount do they use a callsign to secure a direction while others clear? Or do they just go a stomping.
Quag said:
The only people who truly employ obstacle drills are Armoured Recce.  Tanks, don't use those drills, as they fight in a different way.

Tanks use 'Suprise HESH' instead of a GIB ;D

IslandTrooper said:
Thanks guys, I knew when I typed that, that something wasn't right. As you can tell, I am fairly new to the game. I have a question with regards to movement and obstacle drills on the Leo's... are they the same or do the tankers do it there own way. Just thinking that Tanks don't really have a spare person to be a GIB. Instead of using a dismount do they use a callsign to secure a direction while others clear? Or do they just go a stomping.

It's called 120mm HEAT.    ;)

Regards

Recce By Death said:
It's called 120mm HEAT.    ;)

Regards
geo said:
Depending on presence of Leo2 or Leo1 C2...

Sorry guys, I'm old 8) Haven't done tank gunnery since Centurion ;) You young 'uns feel free to discuss the point all you want ;D

Quag said:
The only people who truly employ obstacle drills are Armoured Recce.  Tanks, don't use those drills, as they fight in a different way.

Interesting.  I'll have to ask the Armour School if they've changed the Armour TTPs.

I'd suggest you pay better attention in class and/or put down the crack pipe.  Conversely you could actually learn something about tanks, or perhaps actually be a tanker with some experience before you speak about this sort of thing.

IslandTrooper said:

Tank tactics are basically the same as Mech Infantry tactics.  BOX.  Two Up "T".  Three Up "T".  Column.  Extended Line.  Echelon Left.  Echelon Right.

Movements are still the same; Leapfrog and Catipillar (Alternate and Consecutive Bounds).  

Fire and movement remains the same if you are on foot or mounted.

Awesome, thanks for the enlightenment. I'll have to look more into tank tactics, it's be even better to actually see a battle run first hand... a year or so yet, then I hope to switch over, maybe get lucky and get on a Leo sqn. Thanks again everyone

IslandTrooper said:
Awesome, thanks for the enlightenment. I'll have to look more into tank tactics, it's be even better to actually see a battle run first hand... a year or so yet, then I hope to switch over, maybe get lucky and get on a Leo sqn. Thanks again everyone

Battle Runs are not really that tactical for Safety Reasons.  One or two bounds may be all that you take, and you are restricted to the driving lanes.  Live Fire Exercises are fully tactical and can involve complete Cbt Teams or Battle Groups as well as other resources like Fast Air.

Going back some posts.  Tanks do sometimes break their "Death before Dismount" philosophy when required and dismount a Loader or Gunner to physically clear a Blind Corner or Obstacle.

CSA 105 said:
Interesting.  I'll have to ask the Armour School if they've changed the Armour TTPs.

I'd suggest you pay better attention in class and/or put down the crack pipe.  Conversely you could actually learn something about tanks, or perhaps actually be a tanker with some experience before you speak about this sort of thing.

Thanks for that...I needed a good laugh this morning. Seems we use lots "Recce" skills over here.

Regards

George Wallace said:
Going back some posts.  Tanks do sometimes break their "Death before Dismount" philosophy when required and dismount a Loader or Gunner to physically clear a Blind Corner or Obstacle.

Thats a old time stigma we "youngins" are trying to dissolve.Gone are the days of hauling in and sleeping on the back deck.You get out and dig in.Plus many other multitudes of reasons why we dismount from time to time.

Recce By Death said:
Thanks for that...I needed a good laugh this morning. Seems we use lots "Recce" skills over here.

Regards

Force Recon!

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if gunners are officers as well.

Gunners on a vehicle are usually an NCM position. Officers are positioned as the Crew Commander of their callsign, as well as command the other callsigns of their troop. I don't know for certain, and I am sure one of the many Black Hatters will be here to clear it up, but I believe the CC has the ability to also engage targets in their position.

Depends on type of vehicle too.

Example T-LAV FOV uses the Grizzley Turret, therefor the CC is the Gunner.

Then again what do I know, I'm not a zipper head black hatter

I think CCrs and especially Troopies have enough on the go at one time to keep them content, with commanding, comms from multiple nets, navigating, maintaining situation awareness, etc. they need not worry about pulling the trigger. Please correct me if I have strayed out of my lane, only been in the GIB and Dvr seat of a Gwagon thus far. 

Gunners gun, CC's command. Having said that, the Commander can over ride the gunner for a variety of reasons (wrong target, broken comms, better vision etc...)

Smirnoff123 said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if gunners are officers as well.

Only in the Artillery.  Artillerymen are called "Gunners". 

No; officers are not gunners in the Armour Corps.  They do, however, have to do Gunnery Training.

Smirnoff123 said:
Thanks, so what are they called than?
Ex-Dragoon said:
Sir or Ma'am
BAM! He walked right into that one!
Officers are Crew Commanders. They control the actions and directions of the vehicles in the troop and the actions of their crews. Inside their vehicles they have a driver and a gunner plus the surv op or GIB. All these chaps are enlisted men, meaning the officer can say, hilariously and repeatedly, "You there, enlisted man!..."
If you want to be a gunner in a LAV go general entry. If you want to command a troop of the things, become a Sir.

Back