• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Soldier Questions

AgentSmith said:
Nope it was in that little slice of heaven known as Meaford :p Almost the entire course was classroom work learning everything from radio operation to vehicle maintenance to AFV recognition. The last two weeks (give or take a day) was spent driving both cross country and on highways/cities (a lot of fun actually). There wasn't an FTX, we weren't even issued weapons.

Unreal.
I'm guessing reserve Armd,validate their young soldiers in the field during the summer ARCON/stal-guardian concentrations?

We  get our validation during OJT at the Unit.  DP2 Recce Obs Course has a field ex but as the course itself is only 14 days  the field ex isn't long at all.  It consists of the 4 Tactical movements and establishing an OP and doing Obstacle drills.

X-mo-1979 said:
Interesting,thanks for that.
Whats a Recce Obs course?
DP2 Recce Observer Course.

It is the pre req for promotion to Cpl in the armd res. Island Trooper described it pretty well. Also, there is a lot of practice with comms and calling in contact reports. Toss in a few runs with a smoking and swearing RCD WO and that's basically it. It used to be done over a few weekends and about 10 days of March break. That was a few years ago in LFCA, however.

Interesting.This explains why I had some "cpls" on their reg force DP1 complaining that they had already done their DP1.This explains a lot actually.

Holy crap batman.  I see they've changed the course alot from the old QL4 Recce Crmn one, and obviously NOT for the better.  Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.

I left The Regiment for Bde HQ in '01, and ended up going back to D Sqn to observe the Sqn on the annual Bde FTX.  Because they were short, I ended up jumping in as the E c/s.  I was shocked to see the quality of the Tp and how lacking things were in...well pretty muich every area.  At one point, I gathered the A, C and Jnr CCs together and asked "what the fuck is going on here?!?!?".  No working Tp SOPs, no Comms/Gnry/Veh reps, the A was running around with his head on backwards, the crews were arsing about with no direction, BP was virtually non-existent.  The answer I was given was "we don't do that stuff anymore".  When I showed up and took the E c/s over, I asked the acting Tp Ldr for a copy of the Wng O and the like so I could ramp up, copy of the Tp SOPs, etc and got a reply of "I didn't really do one of those".  And there it started.  I had a talk with the BC and 49C.  Later in the Mess, the attitude and arrogance surprised me.  I was the only person qual'd to 6B in the Tp with about 15 years in, the acting Tp Ldr didn't even have his DP3A/6A, and I was being talked to like I was a newly minted Cpl because *I was over from Bde*.  I distinctly remember looking the C c/s in the eyes and saying "I've probably forgotten more about mud recce then you've ever known".  I wasn't a recce god by any means, but the guy I was looking at used to do well to get his own c/s right when talking on the means.  ::)

Needless to say, I hope that isn't the case "across the board" in the PRes Armd world as it is today.  I was disappointed to see things had gone the way they did.  The other blackhatter with our team from the HQ shook his head when I told him what was going on/not going on. 

If what I am reading is true,...wow.  The delta that existed has gone beyond anything I would have ever imagined on the Recce side of the house.

EITS

Sad to hear.  When I was a Tp Ldr there, we won the Worthington Trophy three years in a row.  I loved having a seven car troop and had some of the most dedicated troops in the area who were chock full of initiative.  Sad to hear that the Regt has degraded so badly as to become more or less a "Social Regt".  I hope that with some of the experienced former members returning to the Regt after serving in the Regs, things may turn around again.

George,

I hope things have turned around.  That Bde EX was spring '06, so maybe in the past 3 years, things have turned around.  I've heard in the past few years that there wasn't even a full 7 car tp's worth of troops anymore.

I haven't heard of how things are since BD and AM got on ground.  Hopefully things are better.

Hi, i am 15 joining the reserves next year. I just wanted to know do you get paid more in the regular force if you have been in reserves??

CFchamp said:
Hi, i am 15 joining the reserves next year. I just wanted to know do you get paid more in the regular force if you have been in reserves??

No

Good day,

This question is for anyone who has recently darted DP1. 

What is the comms portion to the course like, what kind of stuff do they teach you?  Is it hard to catch, i only ask because I am more of a hands on learner so I guess I mean do they spend a bit of time on this topic?

Thanks for whatever anyone can provide.

:camo:

You are going to do a Comms Voice Procedure Exercise and the Code Word for Close Down the Net will be "Hoof Hearted".  The control station (Zero) will give the Code Word (Hoof Hearted, Over) and every station on the Net will have to verify that they heard it, by repeating it (Hoof Hearted, Over).  Once all the stations have acknowledged the Code Word, the control station will close down the Net by saying "Hoof Hearted, Out".

You will just have to be there to understand.  ;D

...and some smart keen Trooper will say...

*authenticate  Hotel Foxtrot, over*...and the Control Station will swear and look for his/her trg CAN-Tri-Nucas...

;D

(Do they even use low-level codes anymore??)

Eye In The Sky said:

*authenticate  Hotel Foxtrot, over*...and the Control Station will swear and look for his/her trg CAN-Tri-Nucas...

;D

The Navy does :)

Eye In The Sky said:

;D

That brings back memories of my Comms course. 

On enemy attack:  "I'm eating the codes!"  ;D

On being CP:  Booting someone off the net for authenticating wrong.......two times in a row.  ::)

Good times.  :warstory:

davidsonr_91 said:
Good day,

This question is for anyone who has recently darted DP1. 

What is the comms portion to the course like, what kind of stuff do they teach you?  Is it hard to catch, i only ask because I am more of a hands on learner so I guess I mean do they spend a bit of time on this topic?

Thanks for whatever anyone can provide.

:camo:

It is easy they teach you every thing you need to pass (notice I didn't say everything you need to know)  ::)

So I have read the roason why people fail the course is becuase they get injured duing pt.  So if you are hurt then you fail the course?  At what point do they fail you for the PT and what do they give you for options?

davidsonr_91 said:
So I have read the reason why people fail the course is because they get injured during pt.  So if you are hurt then you fail the course?  At what point do they fail you for the PT and what do they give you for options?

I really don't remember any one failing for PT in the 3 years that I was involved with DP1 (06 - 09). Yes people got hurt but as long as they could still do all the training ie; Ranges, Driving , and the field, then they still passed. You really don't fail either you get recourse. This means you are given time to heal up and then you go back in the training program on another course as close to as where you left off as possible

I found the bigest stumbling block was one of 3 things
1) Getting hurt and having a Chit say no field, no walking on uneven ground, no standing for periods longer than 10 minutes. The best way to avoid this happening is to Ask the medic/Doctor to write you up only for what you need to get better.

2) Failing to pass the driving portion of either LSVW or Coyote. This was usually done by people that never had a drivers license to start with and had never driven any thing in their life. To avoid this if you don't have a drivers licence get one take a course before you get there if you can't drive a military vehicle you are useless in the Armour Corps.

3) Doing stupid things and getting in to trouble, These examples are to numerous to list, but to touch on a few; Trashing things while drunk (or sober also) Causing problems for other soldiers, not helping out in the Barracks, pissing people off, not looking after you weapon (forgeting parts of it and or leaving it insecure.)

Thanks so much Tank Troll that was a more then awesome answer, my ct goes through and my COS is 7 Jul 10 so just wondering a few things is all.  I'm looking forward to it.

Only thing i can't grasp is how everyone uses the word "Cheers" all the time.

Thanks

davidsonr_91 said:
Thanks so much Tank Troll that was a more then awesome answer, my ct goes through and my COS is 7 Jul 10 so just wondering a few things is all.  I'm looking forward to it.

Only thing i can't grasp is how everyone uses the word "Cheers" all the time.

Thanks

Good luck on your course, it is long but keep you head up and stay focused it isn't all that hard.

Cheers comes from the British it means Thanks, good luck, Good bye, and can involves this  :cheers: but not always

Back