• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca pub night/meet and greet anyone? - Ottawa Chapter

BYT Driver said:
Heehee, maybe some 50/50 tickets or pool on who can drink mich or whoever under the table.    ;D

Well it can't be Des, not much of a challenge there.  ;D
How much can you chug with a tug navy airmich?

HitorMiss said:
He WAS not released for using .50cal rounds on troops. That part of the Geneva conventions is well and truly ignored by everyone.
The use of .50 calibre rounds on personnel is not prohibited.  I searched the conventions, and the only one that comes close to restricting or prohibiting certain conventional weapons is  the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) (source: http://www.fas.org/nuke/control/ccw/).  There are four protocols, and they are as follows:
"Protocol I of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) restricts fragmentation weapons, Protocol II restricts landmines, and Protocol III restricts incendiary weapons. Protocol IV, on Blinding Laser Weapons, prohibits the use and transfer of laser weapons designed to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision."  It was ratified in 1980. 
The most significant treaties are those that follow:
• 1907 Hague Convention Respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land (Hague IV)
• 1907 Hague Convention Respecting the Rights and Duties of Neutral Powers and Persons in Case of War on Land (Hague V)
• 1907 Hague Convention Relative to the Laying of Automatic Submarine Contact Mines (Hague VIII)
• 1925 Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous, or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare
• 1949 Geneva Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field
• 1949 Geneva Convention (II) for the Amelioration of the Condition of Wounded, Sick and Shipwrecked Members of Armed Forces at Sea
• 1949 Geneva Convention (III) Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War
• 1949 Geneva Convention (IV) Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War
• 1954 Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict
• 1972 Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons and on Their Destruction
• 1977 Protocol Additional to the Geneva Convention of 1949 and Relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Additional Protocol I)
• 1977 Protocol Additional to the Geneva Convention of 1949 and Relating to the Protection of Victims of Non-International Armed Conflicts (Additional Protocol II)
• 1980 Convention on the Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons which may be deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to have Indiscriminate Effects (Conventional Weapons Convention)
• 1992 Chemical Weapons Conventions

I think that it's safe to say that the use of .50 calibre rounds against personnel is an urban myth.  Consider the lesson plan found at the following site:  http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/38cbg_arsd/CD/QL7/MLP/reserveblk2/PO405/405-
It states in part for the .50 cal that its range for anti APC fire is up to 800 m, and  1850 m for Anti Pers

Anyway, back to the meet.  I shan't be there, due to the current exercise which goes to next Sunday :(

And there you have it folks, urban myth meets reality

Either way though he sure was not discharged for use of .50cal against an insurgent LOL

airmich said:
Whoa, how did I get brought up in this??  Besides, I don't drink anymore.  I'm trying to put my sailor days behind me.  :blotto:

...WHAT!? That's like saying that I have decided to stop sleeping or eating. Besides, drinking at a M&G is a requisite. Not drinking would be like going to a wedding and not getting married.

Hey Penny, I live in Ottawa, by the way. I just have not been to see the Af-stan exhibit. I'm so laaaazy. Sunday will give me a good chance.

See you all on Saturday  >:D

i cant wait until monday to read all about the good times......Paying for stuff out of my pocket just to go work for SNC lavalin is bleeding me dry.....looks like i am not going to make the one last port visit after all....so have fun all have alot of wets for me....ring the bell a couple of times...harass the waitress....and do everything else a dirty hairy bag would do.

Mike

Looks like everrything is ok for me to go. Wooohoo! Can't wait.!

painswessex said:
....so have fun all have alot of wets for me....ring the bell a couple of times...harass the waitress....and do everything else a dirty hairy bag would do.

ahhh damn.  I may not be one anymore, but sailor is still in my blood, and I just can't turn down a request like that from a fellow sailor.  Looks like I'm drinking after all!  ::)

Someone look after Rice. I imagine he'll be making up for all the drinking we compelled him to miss last weekend.

Don't look at me! I am going to take care of myself on this one... sounds like I may need it too.

Brihard said:
Someone look after Rice. I imagine he'll be making up for all the drinking we compelled him to miss last weekend.
Hahah, yes, yes I am :D
This weekend is gonna be fun :D

Hahah, reminds me of -
*Clock ticks from 2359h to 0000h*
Pte Bloggins: "Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!!!"
Cpl Bloggins II: "Shut up! None of us here are drunk!"

airmich said:
ahhh damn.  I may not be one anymore, but sailor is still in my blood, and I just can't turn down a request like that from a fellow sailor.  Looks like I'm drinking after all!  ::)

You confirmed to be attending now?!.... ;D I hope so! One more day of work for me this week, since I fly out of here Friday morning. See ya'll Saturday.  :)

Rice0031 said:
Hahah, yes, yes I am :D
This weekend is gonna be fun :D

Hahah, reminds me of -
*Clock ticks from 2359h to 0000h*
Pte Bloggins: "Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!!!"
Cpl Bloggins II: "Shut up! None of us here are drunk!"

The building was full of angry people last weekend.

As of this morning, I had almost changed my mind about coming, as I wasn't having too much luck in finding a way up.  But after hearing some awesome news from a good friend (congrats Pea!!), I knew I had to figure out a way to get there.  Transport is now arranged, see you all Saturday!!

Thanks Mich! I guess I am drinking this weekend eh?... ;D

I fly out early tomorrow. See ya'll Saturday night!

Except Rice... don't forget me at the airport!  ;)

Ok, So Pea has made it into Ottawa and plans for today are go!
See you all at D'arcy's at 7:30.
Reservation is under "Des" for those who don't know.

The Camerons aren't scheduled to get our drink on til 8:00, so I'll try to drop by for a pint on my way to the mess. Rice- you know people's faces better than I do; if you see me wandering by with a clueless look, it's your duty to get my attention. I extend to you permission to throw anything up to and including a cardboard drink coaster at me if necessary. You will NOT scream out, "HEY CORPORAL! OVER HERE!!!!11!!one!!" Other than Rice and Gunplumber I don't trust my ability to recognize any other faces, but should someone recognize me from Patty Boland's, some previous military tasking or a wanted poster, feel free to direct me to where everyone is.

Hope to meet a few folks tonight.

Now to get home and start my paper on the Prussian military. Blech.

Back