• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca pub night/meet and greet anyone? - Ottawa Chapter

I went to Thursday evening’s performance and I must say that I was very impressed by what I’ve seen. It would be hard to find a setting for the event which would be better suited than Parliament Hill. It provides a big flat green area, delivers a perfect acoustic, shields the bands from wind and enhances the feeling of patriotism among the crowd. Speaking of acoustic, the sound quality was absolutely perfect. There was no speaker screeching, the sound was loud yet crystal clear. In fact, the sound quality is perhaps what astonished me the most considering how poor in can be at outdoors festival. The variety of acts was fine, although as expected, the show is first and foremost pipes and drums (nothing more inspiring). The Army gun race was also a fun (yet short) event which had the crowd cheering as they supported the team on their side of the field. Finally, the weather turned out to be absolutely perfect which is always a definite plus. In short, the evening was memorable.

Only two things bothered me really:

1/ In my opinion, the lowering of the Canadian flag and the National Anthem was done too quickly. By the time I realized they were lowering the flag, it was already half way down. It was immediately followed by the National Anthem which was played at a fast tempo during which practically no one sang the words. I find it a pity since it could (and should in my opinion) have been the most striking moment of the performance. In the future, I would suggest lowering the flag slowly as the National Anthem is played and sung by the crowd, thus reaching deeply into the heart of the audience.  :cdn:

2/ The café owner on the other side of Wellington Avenue decided he didn’t like military bands and increased the volume of the pop music he had playing on his terrace. Although the pipes and drums covered his lousy music while they were playing, it was quite disturbing in between the performances of the bands. I think throat punches are in order.

Don’t let these two comments deter you from going to Friday’s or Saturday’s events however. It was simply grandiose. If the weather remains as it was yesterday and someone stuffs the radio of that café owner up his backside, you may have one of the most splendid evenings of the year.

As a last note, I have some pictures which I have yet to transfer on my computer which I should be posting in the coming days.

A big thank you to the Canadian Forces and all participating bands for this event!  :salute:

Hmmmm...the Mrs. enjoyed the Changing of the Guard, maybe she'd enjoy this too. Thanks guys, until this post I hadn't heard about it.

Two points for people considering to show up at tonight's or tomorrow's performance:

For people who wonder, you can bring some lawn chairs or a blanket if you plan on sitting on the grass. If you want to sit through the whole show however (apart for those moments where they ask the audience to stand), make sure to be there early enough - I'd say no later than 6:15PM - in order to be right up against the perimeter cord.

Also, don't be picky on the side of the field you're on. When I went, a lot of people were crowded on one side to avoid facing the sun. By the time the show starts however (at 7:00PM on the dot), the sun is already pretty much set.

I' m stuck doing GD. Look for me on the podium squad at the beginning and end of parade.  :threat:

Seriously though, awesome show, I recommend you stop by.

mcchartman said:
2/ The café owner on the other side of Wellington Avenue decided he didn’t like military bands and increased the volume of the pop music he had playing on his terrace. Although the pipes and drums covered his lousy music while they were playing, it was quite disturbing in between the performances of the bands. I think throat punches are in order.

That drove me nuts too! It was actually a live duo, and they apparantly kept turning themselves up for the benefit of the half dozen people actually watching them. The other group that deserves throat punches are teenagers who stop by on their way downtown and make derogatory jokes about the military from the back of the crowd. Two guys wandered up behind me and started joking about how they thought it would have been funny if they accidently used live ammunition, then went on and on about how our military has 'nothing better to do'. Thankfully to the great credit of their fellow Canadians, they were stared down by everyone around them and quickly left. 

Well, regardless of the asshats, it seems like a good show, and look forward to seeing it tonight with BBJ, Mich et all

Let me know what you think of the Silent Drill Team.

The Silent Drill Team was great, like the rest of the teams/bands performing. They brought a little green in the sea of otherwise red and blue ;D. I unfortunately didn't get one of those sheets they were distributing showing the evening program so I don't know exactly from which unit every team/band came from. Was the Silent Drill Team formed by members of your unit? Better yet, were you part of it? If so, you guys did a great job!

The other group that deserves throat punches are teenagers who stop by on their way downtown and make derogatory jokes about the military from the back of the crowd.

I guess I was lucky. I have apparently been spared these dumbasses' comments, having not experienced this kind of stupidity on my side of the field. But I can just imagine their behaviour...

Hope you guys have a good time, I'll see the rest at the OAM&G
I will be going down tomorrow to check it out, so anyone who wants to meet up avec moi downtown PM me.
Should be a good show :D

mcchartman said:
The Silent Drill Team was great, like the rest of the teams/bands performing. They brought a little green in the sea of otherwise red and blue ;D. I unfortunately didn't get one of those sheets they were distributing showing the evening program so I don't know exactly from which unit every team/band came from. Was the Silent Drill Team formed by members of your unit? Better yet, were you part of it? If so, you guys did a great job!

I guess I was lucky. I have apparently been spared these dumbasses' comments, having not experienced this kind of stupidity on my side of the field. But I can just imagine their behaviour...

The silent drill team was made up of members of my platoon; 36 of us plus a sergeant. We've been working on that for about a month or so with a former RSM of C.G., and we had a couple gentlemen from the Royal Air Force Queen's Colour Squadron here to see us perform who gave us some pointers yesterday too. There were a few errors in individual drill that can be put down to first night nerves - and our clickers are frightening on that slick stone walkway - but tonight and tomorrow should go down even better. Thanks for the kind words, and ehre's hopinge veryone enjoys the show.

mcchartman said:
The Silent Drill Team was great, like the rest of the teams/bands performing. They brought a little green in the sea of otherwise red and blue ;D. I unfortunately didn't get one of those sheets they were distributing showing the evening program so I don't know exactly from which unit every team/band came from. Was the Silent Drill Team formed by members of your unit? Better yet, were you part of it? If so, you guys did a great job

The announcer says that the silent drill team comes from 1 Company, the GGFG. Due to the makeup of CG this summer, 2 platoon has about 1/3 guards and 2/3 other units. There's about 5 Brock Rifles, 6 Camerons, there's a Royal from Toronto, a RHLI.. even a few amoured pers. 1 Platoon is all GGFG, 3 platoon is all CGG,  2 platoon are the renegades. So, the silent drill team is about two thirds units other then the GGFG.

BKells said:
The announcer says that the silent drill team comes from 1 Company, the GGFG. Due to the makeup of CG this summer, 2 platoon has about 1/3 guards and 2/3 other units. There's about 5 Brock Rifles, 6 Camerons, there's a Royal from Toronto, a RHLI.. even a few amoured pers. 1 Platoon is all GGFG, 3 platoon is all CGG,  2 platoon are the renegades. So, the silent drill team is about two thirds units other then the GGFG.
3pl is all CGG? Please verify yourself before posting info like that, without giving credit to units where it's due.

About half the platoon is CGG, the rest is 1/3 RMR 1/4 Black Watch and the rest assorted French units.

Naralis said:
3pl is all CGG? Please verify yourself before posting info like that, without giving credit to units where it's due.

About half the platoon is CGG, the rest is 1/3 RMR 1/4 Black Watch and the rest assorted French units.

RMR and Black Watch?  Perhaps I will go see the show after all ;)

All right folks, I’ve transferred the pictures I’ve taken during Thursday’s Fortissimo event and decided to share some with you. A whole bunch of them turned out blurry and as darkness set in, my pictures turned out ever darker with the grain showing so I’ve only uploaded those which came out palatable. I have of course reduced their original size to avoid taking too much bandwidth.

And the last ones...

PS: Hopefully that wont be too many pictures for the mods' tastes  :-\ If it is the case, I apologize in advance for the trouble I will have caused you.

BKells said:

Mm hm. The drill team was a pretty fair composite of the units from 31, 33, and 34 brigades that sent troops to CG under the Guards' cap badge. I don't think there were any 32bde personnel, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I know Kells always does.  ;D

The drill show was very well received by the people attending, and our chain of command was quick to pass down the positive words of the reviewing general. Here's hoping we made enough of an impression that the drill team might make a permanent part of the C.G. establishment. With more time to work on it and more resources allocated, the show next year could well be another step above what we did.

Props to the band as well- the combined band was excellent; very enjoyable to listen to while we waited for our part. The Last Of The Mohicans theme rocked.

mcchartman- thanks a lot for the photos. We obviously didn't have a chance to get any of our own. On that note, should anyone happen to have digital video of the drill show, I would be very itnerested in getting a copy- if anyone filmed it and has it on their computer, I'd appreciate a PM.

We went last night and the show was excellent!  The silent drill team was outstanding.  Impressive fixing bayonets on the march!  Over all highly recommended!

Great show last night for sure!  Quite a crowd standing in front of me, so didn't get a whole lot of pics, however I did manage to get video of the Gun Run.  I will definitely post a link to that once I get it downloaded.

If you haven't seen the show, tonight is the last night and I highly recommend it!

We've got a guy with a pretty decent DV camera, we're gonna try and get one of the GDs to film it tonight from the top of the bleachers. Hopefully we'll have a good quality copy we can host somewhere.

Back