• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Server Hardware Replacement Program

Folks,

A quick update. Last night Kendrick and I hammered out the final hardware specs and placed the order. We are now getting a much better system than originally planned, and I expect it will last us a long time. The rough timeline right now looks like this:

08 Apr: Parts ordered
15 Apr: Order ready for pickup in Montreal
22 Apr: Pick up parts, assemble system
29 Apr: Begin cutover
15 May: New hardware in use

These dates are pretty much wild guesses, I will try to update the schedule as things become more clear.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the update. So when do we expect a big blackout when you will switch it all over?

Mike Bobbitt said:
29 Apr: Begin cutover
15 May: New hardware in use

Perfect timing Mike! I'll be off to BMQ and won't even notice if the site is down for a while.  ;D  ;)

Pte Pea said:
Perfect timing Mike! I'll be off to BMQ and won't even notice if the site is down for a while.  ;D  ;)
Lucky, I guess I will just run out into the woods then  :D

Mike,

Are you still planning implementation / cutover of 15 May?  If so should people try to be off line any particular part of the day or will you just go offline and then power back up after a short pause. Maybe send a reminder that we (I must be truly hooked now) will be off line for a part of that day.

I don't know if it would help speed but definitely storage space if you culled your member's list , There are multiple guest log ins that have never posted and are not a few years old. How long are you keeping them? I see some from 2005. 

Keep, up the great work.

Heh... on crossover daqy, maybe we should all oprove to ourselves that we are not addicted to ARMY.CA and spend the whole day off line :)

I'm not addicted,
I know I can spend a whole day offline
I'm sure I can,
I think I can

Uhh... can you do it in 1 hour?

geo said:
Heh... on crossover daqy, maybe we should all oprove to ourselves that we are not addicted to ARMY.CA and spend the whole day off line :)

Speak for yourself.

I need a twelve step program to assist me!!  :-\

Sorry, I haven't been doing much in the way of updates here... The hardware is still "in transit" so I don't have my hands on it just yet. No firm ETA yet, but it won't be too much longer.

Near the end of this month, a new release of linux comes out, so at this point I'd wait and install that anyway, so we're not being held back regardless. I'd say that we're now looking at maybe mid-June for the final cutover, but I'll have more clarity once the hardware arrives, the OS is installed, etc.

And no need to stay away, for the "critical" part of the cutover, we'll be offline anyway but I will try to keep that to a bare minimum.

Thanks
Mike

P.S. I used to cull the membership list of anyone who had not logged in for over a year... haven't done that in a while!

Folks, a quick update... the parts are in and Kendrick has now picked them up. The Army.ca server has been purchased!

We're going to try to get together to assemble it in the next week or two, then comes the cutover, which I expect will take another couple of weeks.

Oh, and it was recently suggested that the new server may run better with certain unit logos, crests, etc. on it. If anyone wants to fire a spare sticker my way I'll post a pic of the new server decked out once it's ready. I know one sticker that'll be going on it for sure. ;)

Dammit...with that my shakes have begun. I'll have a bad time DTing this time. Can anyone recommend a good treatment facility??  :-[

The Librarian said:
Can anyone recommend a good treatment facility??  :-[

Mike Bobbit's place ? To push him to work faster  ;D ...

Yrys said:
Mike Bobbit's place ? To push him to work faster  ;D ...
*poke poke*

"Is it ready yet Mike?"

"No I need a few more hours, sorry."

*slap!*

"Ouch Vern, did you have to keep those rings on?!"

:D

Mike,

How does a fly on the wall have a recorder?  ;)

Mike Bobbitt said:
Folks, a quick update... the parts are in and Kendrick has now picked them up. The Army.ca server has been purchased!

We're going to try to get together to assemble it in the next week or two, then comes the cutover, which I expect will take another couple of weeks.

That looks suspiciously like a well cared for floor in a domestic setting - I always though army.ca was run from a smokey bar room.  >:D

Worry not Whiskey, it's only a transit "depot" for the equipment.  The actual server's location has to remain undisclosed for OPSEC reasons.  ;D

whiskey601 said:
That looks suspiciously like a well cared for floor in a domestic setting - I always though army.ca was run from a smokey bar room.   >:D

Thats where all the good IDEAS flow from.......

A quick update... I have the server and have spent tonight assembling it. I'm mostly done but need a cable extender to finish the job (and I need to figure out where to plug a few extraneous cables - hopefully of little importance).

I figure the assembly will be complete tomorrow or Tuesday. From there I install the OS and begin the long process of cutting services over. This I expect will take a couple of weeks, so please bear with me. I'm actually traveling a bit so it may take even longer. I'll post more updates here once they're available.

Cheers
Mike

Back