• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Server Hardware Replacement Program

From the way the present equipment is functioning since the last major slowdown....there really isn't a rush. I don't know what you fixed, but it has the site flying even when there are 1200-1300 guest/users logged on.

Very true, and I'm thankful for it! That sure takes the heat off the new server, so I can do it right instead of fast.

Minor update: I now have the needed part and will try to finish the assembly tonight. I'll keep you posted.

This is both good and bad.

Good: The server is better then what is in place now for speed and such.

Bad: We will have to go down for a few hours(right Mike?).

No Mike, the part is for the new server, which is not yet even assembled. I'll add that tonight and the "current" server will be untouched. The new server won't likely be in place for another 2-3 weeks, because the real work begins once it's assembled. I'm rebuilding the entire system from scratch rather than carrying over the mistakes configuration and settings from the current server. That means compressing about 5 years of installation, configuration and tweaking into a 2-3 week period.

There will be downtime and there will be problems, but the end result will be a much improved service.

Good news folks, the assembly is finally done. I hit a bit of a snag and had to restart from scratch, but I think I got it right this time. Fedora Core 7 is also now installed, so it's time to start installing and configuring the new applications and data. I estimate it'll take about 2-3 weeks to get that done completely. Here are some pics:

The inside of the new server, note the two dual core CPUs that will be a huge improvement over the current system:
main.php

Here is the new server next to the "current" server. Quite a size difference!
main.php

Ohhhh.....techie joy. nice (drool, drool,....)

Well, I spoke too soon. It seems that if the server has been left on for a period of time, it won't cold start when it's powered on again. The fans spin for a second then stop and the motherboard lights go out, so it seems like there's a reset going on.

Looks like I'm going to have to take our new system in to a repair shop. :( I don't want to start things out on shaky ground.

Hope its nothing too serious. This computer doesn't want to seem to be put together.

It's not too serious, the system powers up if you leave it alone for a bit (seems to indicate a cooling problem, though it has 6 fans in total). However I don't want to start out with a problem, it doesn't give us much room to get worse. ;)

Hopefully it can be fixed quickly and cheaply. I'm sure there's still a warranty on all the parts, if one of them proves to be faulty.

Mike,

Have you ever looked into a water cooling system? I know its too late now for immediate use...but I was just wondering.

CAW

Check your temp cutout settings (default) in CMOS, and power supply. Starting up by itself after cooling kinda tells you something is not satisfied and a safety is cutting in.....maybe processors conflicting or running hot.

my way out of my league 1 cent, I need the other to go on the trip you are going to tell me to go on.....  ;D

It's a good idea GAP, the problem is that when the temp is presumably too high, the system won't start, so I can't check which component it is. When the system finally starts, it is because (presumably) the temp is in range and won't indicate a problem. :(

Mike,
while there are a whole bunch of fans; CPU fans & power supply fans, it is possible that one is not running - causing the overall heat level to rise.
Other possibility might be a question of good ventilation... if cool air isn't being sucked into the case, you're just moving hot air... like a convection oven.

Just a thought!

Hi geo,

I verified right off the bat that all fans are turning... even verified that they're turning in the right direction! The airflow is from front to back, and while it may be a flow problem, if you power the system on even for a minute and shut it off, it'll be in that same state.

However, please keep the advice coming, it's forcing me to think this through! :)

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:
It's a good idea GAP, the problem is that when the temp is presumably too high, the system won't start, so I can't check which component it is. When the system finally starts, it is because (presumably) the temp is in range and won't indicate a problem. :(

I had a similiar problem with a brand new MB....turned out the factory default was wrong....I found out by coincidence and a chance remark by someone....after wading through the instructions and going online to the mfg website, I got all the correct suggested settings, set them up and it worked fine.

If it had not been that chance comment by a friend, I would have never assumed that the mfg might have it wrong. Besides, it taught me the ranges I was allowed, which I did not know.

edited to add: BTW, the mfg thanked me for the email, they were not aware the default settings were off. Don't know if they did anything, but....

What I prefer to do - I start with the barest possible system and
systematically add bits one ata time.  If there's a turkey in the coop,
you'll soon know which..............

Just a thought.

Cheers

Well I wish I could've been there for the assembly and the most wanted drinks, missed out on that one.  Had that beast sitting in my basement a bit and was itching to have a go at it.  And for the problems I'm quite disapointed.  If you need anything checked, or part replaced, let me know.  I'll be off on pre-deployment vacation by next friday, and I will be more than glad to ride up there and do some servicing!  (And my way overdue Ottawa visit).

Back