• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Server Hardware Replacement Program

I'm hoping I'll have it all sewn up by then... I plan to devote some troubleshooting time this weekend. But in the off chance it's not, you're more than welcome to drop by and have a few drinks while we become progressively more physical with the new gear. ;)

No worries folks, the server we're on right now will still be available. That's the beauty of having 2 systems. ;) I won't cut any services over to the new one until it's stable.

Mike Bobbitt said:
No worries folks, the server we're on right now will still be available. That's the beauty of having 2 systems. ;) I won't cut any services over to the new one until it's stable.
Phew, thanks Mike  ;D

Mike Bobbitt said:

Hurry Mike!!! Hurrrrrrrrrrrryyy!!

Most Online Today: 1911. Most Online Ever: 1911 (Today at 14:37:11)

I predict the 2K barrier falls this weekend.  ;)  :mad:

Give the old system and Mike credit.....holding out in excellent form at 1911....wow

Well, the more I tinker the more it seems to be power related, and not heat related. I let the system run for almost 24 hours and the memory, CPU and system temps were all normal.

However startup still seems to be somewhat "random" and the initial startup does draw the most power right off the bat. I'll experiment with other outlets etc. It's definitely a startup problem as the system runs flawlessly once it's up.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Well, the more I tinker the more it seems to be power related, and not heat related.

Re: Army.ca Air-Conditioner Replacement Program

Re: Army.ca Stand-Alone Generator Program

When do we send in more money? 
;D

Heheh, you've done your part, this bit is my part. ;)

Steve,
I'm not much of a computer geek but has your Operating System a special configuration to be used as a server.  The initial batch file should have a way to insert a pause in the start up. Some systems seem to need a very specific start up order in which files are in what order. You can't start the video card before the MB etc. Just some random ideas to help the troubleshooting process.  Good luck.

Walking away and doing something else for a short time always helped me. Try that.

Not sure if this link will be helpful.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/ggen02.htm

Mike Bobbitt said:
Well, the more I tinker the more it seems to be power related, and not heat related. I let the system run for almost 24 hours and the memory, CPU and system temps were all normal.

However startup still seems to be somewhat "random" and the initial startup does draw the most power right off the bat. I'll experiment with other outlets etc. It's definitely a startup problem as the system runs flawlessly once it's up.

Mike,
Do you have a battery backup system into which your Server is plugged?
Servers do draw a lot of juice on startup - not quite as bad once it's going - but bad at boot time.

Yeah, it's on a UPS right now... I plan to try taking it off to see if it makes a difference.

You might want to check out the voltage on the circuit.
I found the servers at my old job worked better when on their own independent circuit.  Not hooked up with the toaster & Bessie's hair dryer.

Always Bessie....

Well, if you need a new Power supply in the tower, Ill pick one up and bring it up over next week-end, just give me the word.

Mr. Bobbit,

Any idea when you will bring the site down voluntary ?

Just so I won't have the shakes too long and will be prepare with a good book or out door activitie :).

Making slow progress here... It looks like the new server will be back in the hangar on Monday, with a new power supply. From there I can start the cutover in earnest. I'm in town this week and hope to work on it pretty aggressively this week, because I'm travelling the week after and on vacation after that. I'd *really* like to have the new (reliable) hardware in place so I can breathe easy while on vacation. :)

So to sum up, there will be downtime some time this week and/or weekend if all goes according to plan. As I know more I'll post it.

Well, I'm glad that the problem was not a faulty part, but just a wimpy PSU.  I'll know better next time I put up a 2 processors machine! 
Apologies for the delays caused by this, but I'm glad the heat isn't on me now.  ;D

Back