• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Status- The History of Outages & Dark Days

I seem to be having a lot of trouble today with PM's. I lost two in a row after hitting send and then receiving the "this page cannot be displayed" message. The third one went through, and after losing two I smartened up and saved a copy as a Word file so I wouldn't have to type it again. (leave it to me to take 2 losses before I use my head and save a copy.  ::) )

Trinity said:
Bert....
When 5 people get knocked out of chat at the same time,
I don't think it's an individual problem.

You might have a point there Trinity.  However, I've been in the chat room and seen
individual disconnections.  Though I'm not a chat addict and don't spent large amounts of time
in the chat room, I've never been disconnected myself.  There have been occasions where
army.ca pages load slowly or a message takes a long time to post.  Difficult to say
whether is a server issue or a net problem between my client and the server.

I've always speculated that the problem occurs when Mike's beer brewing machine
is working at 100% capacity controlled by an omnipresent AI and the power fluctuations
kicks chatters off the server.  Perhaps on purpose if the AI is feeling vindictive when the
brew isn't just right or the amount of chatters outnumber the drinkers. 

...just kidding Mike.

Trinity said:
WHAT?  How often you do connect.  30 different machines, man you must be an addict.  ;)

Well it's a pretty complex operation. I log into army.ca on each one, and set each one individually to a page I have posted to. I then have them auto-refresh so often, and if one detects that a page has changed, it starts beeping at me so I have to drop what I am doing and run over there and post a reply. A lot easier then constantly checking the "unread replies" feature, let me tell you.

(....seriously though different machines at work/home....notably at DIFFERENT times....)

No, the system is fine, it's definitely network related. (I'm sitting here just a few feet from the server and every page loads immediately... maybe I should start renting out a time share. ;))

And I'm here in Newfoundland and the pages load just as quick. So it might be your network connection.

I think it also comes and goes... tonight could be a "good night" for the connection. (Either that or I'm actually in your basment...!)

Mike

I see you are running some tests.  I just had problems loading a few pages.  They took over two minutes to load.  Your Server was also unavailable or down for a couple of minutes.

Yeah, the server was down a bit this morning... about 5 mins or so. However we're back up and it *seems* to be a bit better, at least for now.

Hello,

It's working better for me right now....hope it stays that way  :)

I think I told Franko this because his computer was on the fritz:

Take off shoe

Hold shoe in hand

Hit machine repeatedly until it busts, it works or you feel better

Just my firefighter's solution to any electronic malfunction.

Scott said:
I think I told Franko this because his computer was on the fritz:

Take off shoe

Hold shoe in hand

Hit machine repeatedly until it busts, it works or you feel better

Just my firefighter's solution to any electronic malfunction.

I'm glad your not a computer technician.  ;)

Actually,

On that note. lol.

We had this bunch of IBM R31's that developed very very very small cracks in their motherboards. This would cause them to freeze intermittently.

It took us a while to figure out what was going on with them though. We'd bring them in, run a full diagnostic on them, inspect all of the components and find nothing hardware wise wrong that we could detect... so we assumed it was a software issue, some new virus or worm that was going around. We kept formatting them and sending them on their way. Eventually the pattern became apparent, as they would keep coming back, and it was only the R31's.

Eventually, with one sitting there completely frozen despite everything I had done to it, I took it and gave it a good wack with my fist.... sure enough the unit started working again. We discovered that whenever it froze... if you hit it hard enough it would come out of it.

We mused for a while about just giving people rubber mallets to hit them with, but eventually decided to replace the defective boards instead...

yesterday and today, i was having the same problems especially when I was chatting with forestedwarrior and every time i went to reply to him, i had to send the message about 2 or3 times before it actually went trough, and today just getting on the website was a hassel. and by the way i just checked out troops.ca for the first time and i say don't worry, i'm wouldn't leave here for that! :dontpanic:

MasterStryker said:
and by the way i just checked out troops.ca for the first time and i say don't worry, i'm wouldn't leave here for that! :dontpanic:

I  blame myself for this.

I visited troops.ca a few times, never signed in.  I threw the troops comment out originally as a joke, with
little regard to that site thinking it was an imitation army.ca.  Making fun of it would be making fun of
milphotos or other sites we toss around.

I would like to apologize and retract my original comment about troops.  I have spoke to Mackay (owner of troops) and he
seems like a nice guy and IS A SUBSCRIBER of army.ca.

His intentions was not to compete with this site but to provide a different service for people out there.  That
I respect and fully endorse.

So please, no one latch onto my mistake about troops.  I regret and apologize for my flippent comment about
troops (even if it did get 8 more people to sign up that day.... bad press is still good press ;))

Humbly

Trinity

I know not many of you were around then, but Army.ca in it's early days was nowhere near what troops.ca is today.

Those in glass houses... ;)

Edit to clarify: I believe troops.ca is developing much faster than army.ca ever did. When we were "young" army.ca was pretty darn rough, I think troops.ca is doing very well for being relatively new to the scene.

Mike,

I had no idea you were Alumni of Acadia. Oh the hours I spent sitting in the SUB instead of going to class  ;D

Army.ca was born at Acadia... a 2nd year project to help me learn this new "HTML" stuff. ;) The SUB was great for wiling away the hours. I think I lived on those terrible pizza slices they sold for almost a year solid.

Back