• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Status- The History of Outages & Dark Days

Looks like the site speed has been suffering for the last fifteen minutes........that or someone has spammed it.

Nope, we had a slowdown... looks like we ran out of memory and some db threads were locked until some memory was freed up. Should be OK now.

Yeah, sorry... at least one more to go tonight then it should be quiet for a while.

I'd like to think it's 'having problems again' and not 'still'.

The good news: I've learned one "don't do that" process... guaranteed to make the site slow. So, I won't do that.

Mike Bobbitt said:
I'd like to think it's 'having problems again' and not 'still'.

The good news: I've learned one "don't do that" process... guaranteed to make the site slow. So, I won't do that.

...again  ;)

Weird, three times in the past couple of days the site has done this when I've tried to post.

neko said:
Weird, three times in the past couple of days the site has done this when I've tried to post.

Then stop posting..  and the site won't go down  ;D

neko said:

Yeah , its the same thing every time for me too....i hit post and everything stops working even though my post makes it.....maybe its a sign  :-\

I can explain that... Many of the slowdowns occur when we max out our memory. This causes some database write actions to be locked or stalled while they wait for some memory to free up. When you're browsing around you're not engaging the database in (many) write functions. When you post, you're attempting to update several tables that a lot of people are accessing... these are the ones that are frequently locked when we run out of memory, and so your request gets added to the "locked" queue and you have to wait until things sort themselves out. Meanwhile, other users may be browsing around without noticing much difference.

Then, other times, it's just slow for everyone.

Trinity said:
Then stop posting..  and the site won't go down  ;D

Stop Posting!?    :o My life would end.  :skull:
Surely, being a Padre, it is wrong of you to suggest such cruel punishment to someone.

Mike Bobbitt said:
I can explain that... Many of the slowdowns occur when we max out our memory. This causes some database write actions to be locked or stalled while they wait for some memory to free up. When you're browsing around you're not engaging the database in (many) write functions. When you post, you're attempting to update several tables that a lot of people are accessing... these are the ones that are frequently locked when we run out of memory, and so your request gets added to the "locked" queue and you have to wait until things sort themselves out. Meanwhile, other users may be browsing around without noticing much difference.

Wow, so this means that Trinity is sort of right, about me causing the problem.  Will wonders never cease.  >:D

Mike Bobbitt said:

Anyway of reallocating resource memory to the more active table functions?

Unfortunately not, it's a hard stop, we just run out of memory and the server is already maxed out, we can't add any more. It seems to be a rare problem though...

Mike Bobbitt said:
Unfortunately not, it's a hard stop, we just run out of memory and the server is already maxed out, we can't add any more.
That's it! We need more subscriber's ;) It was so bad at once when I tried while at school, I thought the internet was gone.

Back