• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Restructuring

Chalk and cheese mate, but nice try...

Rangers already have most of the skills the CAF require for them to do the jobs they do, their military training is relatively limited as a result.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the spectrum, is a teenaged rifleman in the ARes.
And I bet they don't have nearly the same admin overhead the Class A soldier does too. DLN ring a bell?

1 CRPG manages 2000 Rangers in 61 patrols and 1400 Junior Rangers in another 44 patrols spread over 65 communities.

2000/61 = 32
1400/44 = 32

So 105 "platoons" of 32 spread over 65 communities where many of the communities are less than 1000 souls.
Yes, the Ranger organization proves that it is possible (although times incredibly difficult) to maintain dispersed small groups across vast geographical distances. But a Ranger Patrol and an Army Platoon are not the same thing at all. Full stop. Roles, missions, tasks, equipment holdings, training programs and pretty much everything else are all ENTIRELY different. I could go into a lot more detail on that if you wish, but for now just understand that the Rangers are not soldiers and your assertion that changing this would simply be a matter of "managing expectations" is an oversimplification in the extreme. You can not readily convert one into the other. You're comparing apples and Buicks.

I was a Ranger Instructor for 5 years. Pretty much everything I thought that I knew about the Rangers when I started out turned out to be wrong. Pretty much everything about the Rangers that I read on this site is wrong as well, or at the very least it contains significant elements of misunderstanding. Given my own long, strange, and sometimes uncomfortable process of learning about the organization after I joined it, I certainly don't begrudge others their lack of knowledge of this niche component of the CAF. But boy oh boy do the comments made on this site regarding the Canadian Rangers diverge, often substantially, from actual reality.

Happy to discuss further, or even to start a new thread to discuss. But Rangers are not soldiers, and any ideas to the contrary are flat out wrong.

My argument would be that Canada needs different tiers of Reserves.

Active Reserves: Class B and C

Ready Reserves: Class A members in a conventional unit - weekend and summer concentration requirements apply

Inactive Reserves: Members who have concluded their Reg or Reserve training, who don’t want to or can’t commit to the 8 weekend and 3 week summer concentration, but wish to remain as part of the CAF, who will attend 5 weekends a year for refresher training (rifle ranges, first aid, etc). One can organize them along the same idea as the RPGs.
I agree with the aim but, being legalistic and not wishing to change the NDA unnecessarily, I disagree with the methodology. The issue is the "continuing, full-time" v "other than continuing, full-time" differentiation.

You achieve the same result without changing laws by having different tiers of the RegF.

Think of a RegF Tier X which is like the present day RegF but also a RegF Tier Y which is like your Active Guard Reserve - essential serving on full-time contracts for fixed periods and during those contracts being liable to be called up but otherwise working on one job in one location as per the contract. The issue is not so much the soldier but the job to be filled. Is the job continuing, full-time - then it needs to be a RegF PY which can be filled by either a Reservist Class B (short term) or a RegF Class Y (long term). Regardless the position is accounted for as a continuing, full-time PY.

Class A, as you point out is fine as it is. IMHO, so is Class C.

We do have a SupRes which IMHO should be mandatory as part of any and all military service contracts for several years after release (subject to CRA). I'm not sure if I agree with the 5 weekends of training, (especially if their term of service is short- like 2 or 3 years) but the idea that the Sup Res member becomes part of an expanded Ranger program sounds attractive. Legally they have very different terms of service based on the NDA and I'm not sure if its worth changing the law to make it happen or whether we should just have a much better accounting/management system for the SupRes.

🍻

Yes, the Ranger organization proves that it is possible (although times incredibly difficult) to maintain dispersed small groups across vast geographical distances. But a Ranger Patrol and an Army Platoon are not the same thing at all. Full stop. Roles, missions, tasks, equipment holdings, training programs and pretty much everything else are all ENTIRELY different. I could go into a lot more detail on that if you wish, but for now just understand that the Rangers are not soldiers and your assertion that changing this would simply be a matter of "managing expectations" is an oversimplification in the extreme. You can not readily convert one into the other. You're comparing apples and Buicks.

I was a Ranger Instructor for 5 years. Pretty much everything I thought that I knew about the Rangers when I started out turned out to be wrong. Pretty much everything about the Rangers that I read on this site is wrong as well, or at the very least it contains significant elements of misunderstanding. Given my own long, strange, and sometimes uncomfortable process of learning about the organization after I joined it, I certainly don't begrudge others their lack of knowledge of this niche component of the CAF. But boy oh boy do the comments made on this site regarding the Canadian Rangers diverge, often substantially, from actual reality.

Happy to discuss further, or even to start a new thread to discuss. But Rangers are not soldiers, and any ideas to the contrary are flat out wrong.

I'd love to hear more if you have the time and inclination.

As one of the people most enamoured with an alternative to the Primary Reserve model as it exists and intrigued by the Rangers I would like to know anything you see fit to share.

I would just like to note that I have never expected my "alternative organization" to produce tactical elements like a platoon. My goal is something more along the lines of civic minded group of people that are willing and able to assist the government in times of need and that could also be a recruiting ground for the regs and the reserves as well as a home for those that have left the service but still are willing to contribute.

As I have noted elsewhere, to the annoyance of many, my baseline is actually the voluntary unpaid home-guard found in Denmark and other Scandinavian countries. It wouldn't bother me if the organization were compared to the Boy Scouts or St John's Ambulance instead. The aim is to cluster like-minded individuals, supply them with a defined set of skills and have them agree to agreed terms of service.

Edit: Just to clarify my home-guard is not a replacement for the the Reserves and certainly not a replacement for the Regs. It is an adjunct organization.

I'd love to hear more if you have the time and inclination.

As one of the people most enamoured with an alternative to the Primary Reserve model as it exists and intrigued by the Rangers I would like to know anything you see fit to share.

I would just like to note that I have never expected my "alternative organization" to produce tactical elements like a platoon. My goal is something more along the lines of civic minded group of people that are willing and able to assist the government in times of need and that could also be a recruiting ground for the regs and the reserves as well as a home for those that have left the service but still are willing to contribute.

As I have noted elsewhere, to the annoyance of many, my baseline is actually the voluntary unpaid home-guard found in Denmark and other Scandinavian countries. It wouldn't bother me if the organization were compared to the Boy Scouts or St John's Ambulance instead. The aim is to cluster like-minded individuals, supply them with a defined set of skills and have them agree to agreed terms of service.

Edit: Just to clarify my home-guard is not a replacement for the the Reserves and certainly not a replacement for the Regs. It is an adjunct organization.
I will preface these comments by saying that I'm at the beach in Mexico, and accordingly I'm sure you can understand that this initial response will be brief. I have a tan to work on, and cervezas to consume.

The Ranger model could conceivably be adapted to quickly bring in large numbers of people who have pre-existing skillsets that might prove useful in disaster and emergency situations. The entire concept of Ranger service is that they come in "already trained". Any additional training that we provide them is just a bonus on top of what they already bring to the table from their civilian lives, whether that be their expertise in bushcraft, operating boats, ATVs, skidoos, GSAR knowledge, etc. The conventional CAF assumes that if we didn't teach it to you, then you don't know it. The Ranger world works on the opposite assumption. We could leverage quite a lot of existing expertise if we weren't so hidebound and more willing to seek outside the box solutions. But, while I think this might be something that could actually pay some good dividends, I expect that the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the "we've always done it this way" crowd would be a serious obstacle to success in that regard.

I know you acknowledged this above, but I will again reiterate: the Rangers aren't soldiers. They have no tactical role, we are forbidden from conducting tactical training with them, and the rifles we issue them are for hunting and predator control only. I was part of a few working groups when the new C-19 Ranger rifle was coming on line and you should have seen the guys from DLR's heads explode when it was explained that there was no need for us to procure a Geneva compliant FMJ round because the intent was not to shoot enemy combatants - just aggressive polar bears. A small example, but one that highlights the cultural disconnect that I'm talking about.

The Rangers are, broadly and generally, great people. They provide a valuable service for which they don't get enough credit. And if we wanted to do a deep dive to see what aspects of the Ranger program could be adopted for more widespread use then I think that would be a worthwhile endeavor. But it would probably have to start with a lot of folks un-learning what it is that they think they know about what the Rangers actually are, what they do, and how it's possible for them to be as productive as they are without going though months and years of CAF training naus and DLN courses. It would be equally important to not make the mistake of assuming that we can just "Rangerize" everything, as there are going to be a lot of roles and tasks for which such a model would be distinctly un-suited.

Long story short, I think it's a case where there needs to be better understanding of what the Ranger organization is, and what it isn't. How it works, and how it doesn't. From there, maybe we can figure out how to come up with some inspired solutions to other problems that beset the CAF more generally. But right now very few people know anything meaningful about the Rangers, so I'm not hopeful that's going to happen in the near future.

I will preface these comments by saying that I'm at the beach in Mexico, and accordingly I'm sure you can understand that this initial response will be brief. I have a tan to work on, and cervezas to consume.

The Ranger model could conceivably be adapted to quickly bring in large numbers of people who have pre-existing skillsets that might prove useful in disaster and emergency situations. The entire concept of Ranger service is that they come in "already trained". Any additional training that we provide them is just a bonus on top of what they already bring to the table from their civilian lives, whether that be their expertise in bushcraft, operating boats, ATVs, skidoos, GSAR knowledge, etc. The conventional CAF assumes that if we didn't teach it to you, then you don't know it. The Ranger world works on the opposite assumption. We could leverage quite a lot of existing expertise if we weren't so hidebound and more willing to seek outside the box solutions. But, while I think this might be something that could actually pay some good dividends, I expect that the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the "we've always done it this way" crowd would be a serious obstacle to success in that regard.

I know you acknowledged this above, but I will again reiterate: the Rangers aren't soldiers. They have no tactical role, we are forbidden from conducting tactical training with them, and the rifles we issue them are for hunting and predator control only. I was part of a few working groups when the new C-19 Ranger rifle was coming on line and you should have seen the guys from DLR's heads explode when it was explained that there was no need for us to procure a Geneva compliant FMJ round because the intent was not to shoot enemy combatants - just aggressive polar bears. A small example, but one that highlights the cultural disconnect that I'm talking about.

The Rangers are, broadly and generally, great people. They provide a valuable service for which they don't get enough credit. And if we wanted to do a deep dive to see what aspects of the Ranger program could be adopted for more widespread use then I think that would be a worthwhile endeavor. But it would probably have to start with a lot of folks un-learning what it is that they think they know about what the Rangers actually are, what they do, and how it's possible for them to be as productive as they are without going though months and years of CAF training naus and DLN courses. It would be equally important to not make the mistake of assuming that we can just "Rangerize" everything, as there are going to be a lot of roles and tasks for which such a model would be distinctly un-suited.

Long story short, I think it's a case where there needs to be better understanding of what the Ranger organization is, and what it isn't. How it works, and how it doesn't. From there, maybe we can figure out how to come up with some inspired solutions to other problems that beset the CAF more generally. But right now very few people know anything meaningful about the Rangers, so I'm not hopeful that's going to happen in the near future.

Thank you very much for interrupting your tanning session. Dos Modelo Negra in compensation. ;)

Perrin Beatty - a hero of mine - was widely villified for proposing to generate 90,000 Vital Points Guards - they were explicitly defined as less trained and that was considered as a problem for an Army that wanted "rifles".

However, I look at that type of organization as one that could take some of the load off the National Defence and police establishments in time of crisis and let the soldiers soldier and the police police.

Thank you very much for interrupting your tanning session. Dos Modelo Negra in compensation. ;)

Perrin Beatty - a hero of mine - was widely villified for proposing to generate 90,000 Vital Points Guards - they were explicitly defined as less trained and that was considered as a problem for an Army that wanted "rifles".

However, I look at that type of organization as one that could take some of the load off the National Defence and police establishments in time of crisis and let the soldiers soldier and the police police.
I'd look at them as a type of organization that could take the load off combat-oriented Reg Force and Reserve Force units during Op Lentus-type situations. Let the CAF provide the high end comms, transport and logistics elements required and a Southern Ranger-like force could provide a variety of things ranging from sandbaggers and forest fire fighters to skilled construction vehicle operators and non-military medical assistance, setting up temporary shelters, LUSAR, etc.

What we're really talking about here though is a non-CAF civil defence organization rather than an Army Reserve expansion. In my opinion the Army Reserve should focus on augmenting, supplementing and expanding the combat capabilities of the Reg Force and leave the other roles to organizations that specialize in those separate capabilities.

The Cadet Program enters the chat, but is not a viable military force either.

What we're really talking about here though is a non-CAF civil defence organization rather than an Army Reserve expansion.
I think that you need to remember that the Rangers are members of the reserve force by virtue of legislation. They are simply a different component of the reserve force from the primary reserve soldiers. The fact that they are reservists but different from the PRes are both very important points.

Any additional training that we provide them is just a bonus on top of what they already bring to the table from their civilian lives, whether that be their expertise in bushcraft, operating boats, ATVs, skidoos, GSAR knowledge, etc.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. What is the training that the average Ranger receives, both in the way of "basic training" and annual "continuation training?"

:unsure:

Perhaps we need to look at why the PRes, like the reg force is having difficulty in some areas, if in 1964 we could have a squadron of technicians in blairmore alberta, pulling in recruits from the crowsnest pass area. Why is that not viable today? Infrastructure? Equipment? Budget? If the PRes is supposed to be the face of the CAF in communities, we should be more dispersed in order to bring in recruits from all regions of the country. Not just the major urban centers.

But

So which way do you want it?

To capture the human resources and the financial and logistic support that would result from bringing in Emergency Preparedness under the DND, or even the CAF, umbrella? Or leave the CAF as a pure fighting force with the Army focused entirely on fighting overseas?

As you note, DND already manages the Cadet programmes just as it does the Junior Ranger programme. Why not extend the Cadet system into an adult auxiliary as a southern Ranger type of programme? Why not have a civilian Logistics corps? We already have civilians willingly volunteering for dangerous work.

the four major participating NGOs—Canadian Red Cross (CRC), St. John Ambulance (SJA), Salvation Army (SA) and Ground Search and Rescue (GSAR)

These statements captured the salient points for a merchant ship entering a war zone. It is about the risk and who is willing to accept it. Look south at the US Military Sealift Command. The Americans have subsidized the building of US flag merchant ships for US companies with the contract requirements that they can be called up in the service of the country in times of war/conflict.
As for the merchant ship crews, they have to be compensated in accordance with the risk they assume. This is no different than a Canadian Navy member or Canadian soldier who goes to a war zone. Those military members have received preferential tax considerations while deploying overseas in the past and since May 2017 they no longer pay any income tax whilst deployed. This in addition to the hardship and risk allowances they receive. The civilian mariners in Asterix wouldn’t mind a bit of that!

The same rules alluded to in the RUSI article could equally apply to aircraft and crew.

I think that you need to remember that the Rangers are members of the reserve force by virtue of legislation. They are simply a different component of the reserve force from the primary reserve soldiers. The fact that they are reservists but different from the PRes are both very important points.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. What is the training that the average Ranger receives, both in the way of "basic training" and annual "continuation training?"

:unsure:
I have been away from the Ranger world now for as long as I was part of it in the first place, so take my words with a grain of salt - I am not current. But the way it used to go is something like this:

- A prospective recruit approaches (or is approached by) an existing member of the patrol - usually the patrol commander. They make a decision on whether the prospective recruit has something to bring to the table that is of value (skills, knowledge, standing in the community, etc). A recruiting paperwork package is sent to the CRPG HQ that includes a criminal records check, forms for enhanced reliability screening, various adm documents such as banking forms for direct deposit and so forth (don't get me started on the ones who, for valid reasons owing to living in remote/reserve communities don't actually even HAVE bank accounts - that's another rant altogether).

- If no red flags are raised, they're enrolled. The enrollment ceremony is conducted over the phone, or by facebook video call, or, if the OC just happens to be visiting that patrol location then it might be held in person. This gives you an idea of just how much of a different world it is.

- That's it. That's all that HAS to happen. There is a Ranger DP1 course that is 10 day's duration and typically held at a central location once yearly. It teaches basic military knowledge like rank structure, navigation with map/compass/GPS, a bit of first aid, and radio comms, and it qualifies them on their rifle. We usually don't issue them rifles until they've completed DP1. That said, it's entirely possible for them to serve for YEARS in the Rangers and never do DP1. It is not mandatory.

- There is a subsequent Ranger DP2 course that is intended for those Rangers who are going to assume leadership positions within their patrol. This is another 10 days duration. It's basically a highly stripped down version of PLQ minus all tactical and otherwise non-relevant content. We teach them a bit about battle procedure, planning for things like GSAR events, how to assist the Ranger Instructor with exercise planning, etc. Again, this is not mandatory, and not all Rangers in leadership roles have DP2 complete. Ranger "promotions" seem to vary from CRPG to CRPG, but in the ones I'm familiar with each patrol is organized sort of like a platoon - there is a Ptl Comd who wears the rank of Sgt, a 2i/c who wears the rank of MCpl, and depending on numbers there are up to 3 x sections with each having a MCpl sect comd and a Cpl 2i/c. The remainder wear the rank of Pte(T). The mechanism for promotion is going to particularly blow your hair back: they hold elections for those positions. The results of the elections are not legally binding, but they serve as a recommendation to the CO for promotion on an A/WSE basis. The CO customarily honors the election result. The substantive rank, for all Rangers, at all times, remains that of Pte(T). Reversions happen frequently, and the patrol leadership positions often rotate around for reasons of fairness and to prevent one or more folks from forming an impenetrable leadership clique.

That is basically all there is in terms of "formal" Ranger career development, coursing, training & selection. But there is a lot more beyond that. Many Rangers volunteer to take on additional tasks that see them come down to the CRPG HQ to participate in planning sessions, working groups, take on GD roles, occasionally work with other Army units and the like. But it is nothing like the conventional Army where a career manager dictates that this guy is going on his ILP and this guy is going on AOC, and this guy is getting posted to Gagetown or wherever. It's a totally different system.

To answer your final question on annual/continuation training, that depends too. Usually each patrol can count on having a minimum of 2 x exercises in their local patrol area per year. Those can be highly varied in terms of topics. Sometimes we run a first aid or other such course for them, and that's the exercise. Sometimes we run a GSAR scenario. Sometimes we let the Rangers suggest something that they think will be worthwhile and fun given the conditions in their local community. So a minimum of 2 x exercises of that general type, usually 3-5 days each. There are also larger exercises run at the multi-patrol or company level. Same kind of idea, but usually longer, and with larger objectives. But the average Ranger is usually looking at something like 10 - 20 training days per year, plus whatever local events (i.e. GSAR) that they get called to respond to.

Perhaps we need to look at why the PRes, like the reg force is having difficulty in some areas, if in 1964 we could have a squadron of technicians in blairmore alberta, pulling in recruits from the crowsnest pass area. Why is that not viable today? Infrastructure? Equipment? Budget? If the PRes is supposed to be the face of the CAF in communities, we should be more dispersed in order to bring in recruits from all regions of the country. Not just the major urban centers.

Probably for the same reasons that other community organizations that rely on 'volunteers' are on the decline. It's probably one of those things we should analyze more closely, and act to improve, if anyone in a position of power was so inclined.

Baby boomers filled the regiments when I joined. I recall over 100 on parade every night in 1979-80 with the Seaforths, for example, and I recall a Springtime Gun Camp in Ft Lewis with over 200 troops. Now, the Seaforths are lucky if they can muster a weak platoon.

While probably hard to correlate directly, here's an interesting US paper on the subject:

A Less Charitable Nation: The Decline of Volunteering and Giving in the United States

While the United States recently experienced record highs in total volunteer hours and charitable dollars given to community organizations, these seemingly positive numbers mask a troubling trend: fewer Americans are engaging in their community by volunteering and giving than in any time in the recent past. Immediately following the terrorist attacks of September 11,the volunteer rate surged to a peak level and stayed there for three straight years. After this record high in volunteering, the national rate of American volunteering declined and continued to slide throughout the decade from 2004 to 2015 while the percentage of Americans making charitable donations dropped similarly between 2000 and 2014.

Entirely correct, and as I have no experience with the cadet world I cannot speak to their difficulties.

Rangers are different though, mainly because they are adults, and CAF reservists, albeit of a different kind than the standard PRes variety. I have personally taken Rangers out the door on 2 x separate serials of Op Lentus, and their performance exceeded expectations on both occasions. They can be highly valuable members of the defence team. If we let them be, and if we give them the respect they are due.

I'll go out on the limb of ignorance and state that I see Canadian Rangers as something closer to coastwatchers than soldiers. It is not an organization that really supports augmentation, let alone mobilization, for war.

Let alone mobilization for war....

WW2

Civilians mobilized for war

Home Guard
Home Guard Anti-Aircraft batteries
Civil Defence Service
Royal Observer Corps
War Reserve Constables
Salvation Army
Red Cross
St John Ambulance

There is more than just the army.

WW2

Home Guard
Civil Defence Service
Royal Observer Corps
War Reserve Constables
Salvation Army
Red Cross
St John Ambulance

If your point is that they are people at approximately the same state of military readiness as civilians, I agree.

WW2

Home Guard
Civil Defence Service
Royal Observer Corps
War Reserve Constables
Salvation Army
Red Cross
St John Ambulance

The historical genesis of the Rangers was the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3rmsi0ibGUJw0PKqWvKaBc

I suspect that a similar role would not be considered politically palatable today, for reasons that are probably self evident. I suspect this may be the nucleus of Brad's point, but I disagree with him nonetheless and as explained below.

If your point is that they are people at approximately the same state of military readiness as civilians, I agree.

No. Hard disagree. They are organized into formed bodies that have at least something of a C2 structure to them, and they have the drive and the gumption to respond in an organized fashion when an emergency befalls their local area. They have proven their ability to integrate with and contribute to the efforts of conventional CAF elements within the context of Op LENTUS domops, often providing the benefit of local knowledge and local resources that those conventional CAF units might have otherwise lacked. That's a lot more readiness than civilians have, man.

They're not going to be setting ambushes for Russian armour any time soon. But that's not what they're for. Lentus is a thing. GSAR is a thing. High intensity warfighting is not the only thing. Don't be so dismissive.

Back