• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ballistic Glasses do a great job

Civilian Input -

I use Wiley X goggles myself on the range, and at work as a machinist. They're terrific and saved my eyes on three occasions that made my heart skip a beat. I figured if they're strong enough to stop IED shrapnel they're strong enough to stop a chunk of solid carbide that was moving at 19,000RPM's before it decides to fly in my general direction.

I noticed ArmyVern requests pictures, so I'll just direct you all to the Wiley website. They have two pictures out of Iraq sent by Marines in theater. Be warned about a bit of blood and shrapnel damage. Oh and horrid spelling and grammar.

I think she was lookign for a pic of Red with his blooper of death

Had my Wiley X's with me when in uniform (SOP), and out in the shyte, always had the EPS 21's on, along with all that other fun protective stuff!

Wes

Big Red said:
I also forgot to mention the CF glasses have extremely low LCF.  If you're going out to kill might as well look good while you do it.

Is that not the 2nd tenant of SOF?

If you can't be good, look good  ;D

Here is my EPS21's, in a LAV prior to my deployment to Iraq.

Cheers,

Wes

EDIT - Ya, I know its a shocking pic  :eek:

Strictly speaking on my experiences at the Infantry School in Gage, the BEWs are a pain to wear constantly, but I definately like having them on when the jolly course staff insist on routes through the thick scrub. My eyeball and tree branch collisions have decreased noticeably :p  the only headache i have with them is the fact that they scratch at the drop of a hat and replacements seemed to be difficult for the supply system to conjure. I wonder why a scratch-resistant clear layer wasn't added into the lens design?

Even Oakley's scratch.

One needs to accept eyewear (and ALL kit) has a life span that decreases with use.

BEWs seem especially prone to scratching easily however.  I've always been a cheap, gas station sunglasses kind of guy because I usually break or lose them, and even they didn't scratch as easily as the BeeDubs.

I would complain about having to wear them at certain times, but I shudder to think how uncomfortable the new visor is going to be. :-X

As far as googles go, I'm interested in trying a pair of these out:

large_71.jpg

PatrickO said:
Strictly speaking on my experiences at the Infantry School in Gage, the BEWs are a pain to wear constantly, but I definately like having them on when the jolly course staff insist on routes through the thick scrub. My eyeball and tree branch collisions have decreased noticeably :p  the only headache i have with them is the fact that they scratch at the drop of a hat and replacements seemed to be difficult for the supply system to conjure. I wonder why a scratch-resistant clear layer wasn't added into the lens design?

Your "jolly course staff" are just following the direct order given by Comd 3 ASG, and supported by Comd CTC that BEW were to be worn by every individual upon entering the trg area, which came about 3 summers ago when a CAP student sustained a permanent and blinding eye injury (on a Friday evening ...  we were called in that night and spent the rest of the night and Saturday issuing BEWs to every student and staff on ground and expected to enter the trg area before Tuesday).

Do you mean difficult to get exchanged at the QM up in the school??

Or difficult to get at Clothing Stores?? And when was that?? Because we always had a couple hundred clear and shade lens ... on auto-replenishment when the stock hit our minimum levels ... we've never breached zero stock as far back as I can remember ... which is since the replacement lens came into the system 3 years ago.

And, yes they do scratch very easily. I've submitted a UCR (and others have too) -- still waiting -- although they did come out with a new lens cover afterwards that only covers the lens and thus prevents the arms from scratching the lens. You should wander down to your clothing stores and pick one up if you haven't already.

IIRC the CF was issuing the T800 - I was issued a set when in the CF, and as well they had sets at the Sims house in Edmonton for those not issued when not doing force on force with the helmet...

I have a pair of T800's not a bad gogle I  used them here in wainwright or sorry aka KAF I have alot of people asking me where I got them.Defeantly keeping them in my go bag for over there.

The last piece of info I had on Oakley's as safety eyewear was that they were not CSA approved - not because they were inferior, would not do the job or because they did not provide enough protection but because Oakley had not had them tested for such. Does anyone know if this has changed? I've searched Oakley's site and only found things quoting ANSI specs, nothing to say they are marketing them as safety eyewear though. I wouldn't wear my Oakley's on the job as they'd just get trashed.

And does the CF follow CSA standards WRT safety eyewear? Vern? Anyone? Bueller? ;D

I wear safety eyewear every single day and know how big of a pain in the arse it can be. Cheap sets scratch in no time no matter what you are doing and spending on expensive sets gets, well, expensive. I now buy an off the shelf brand (don't ask, I do not know) that retails for about 10 bucks a set. Half metal frames and I get one set in amber for night wear and a tinted set to save myself from going blind offshore. The big thing about them, compared to most others I have worn, is the straight back arm design. The Doc told me to try a straight back design over one that hugs the ears to limit headaches and since then I've had no issues.

CF equipment must comply with CSA standards at the MINIMUM. Most of our stuff outdoes them by far.

Vern, do you have the specs for the CSA rating for the BEW? All I can see on the manufacturer's website is the US ANSI Z87.1 specs... http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

Z87.1 seems to be the gold standard for eyepro as Oakley and others all reference it, I'm curious as to the CSA test specs... Oakley explains it pretty well on their US Standard Issue line site: https://usstandardissue.com/tech_impact.aspx

Maybe other lenses have not been approved because dimaco or another CF friendly company doesn't make them ;)

COBRA-6 said:
Vern, do you have the specs for the CSA rating for the BEW? All I can see on the manufacturer's website is the US ANSI Z87.1 specs... http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

Z87.1 seems to be the gold standard for eyepro as Oakley and others all reference it, I'm curious as to the CSA test specs... Oakley explains it pretty well on their US Standard Issue line site: https://usstandardissue.com/tech_impact.aspx

IIRC, CSA Z94.3 1999 is the equivelent to ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard

ArmyVern said:
Your "jolly course staff" are just following the direct order given by Comd 3 ASG, and supported by Comd CTC that BEW were to be worn by every individual upon entering the trg area, which came about 3 summers ago when a CAP student sustained a permanent and blinding eye injury (on a Friday evening ...  we were called in that night and spent the rest of the night and Saturday issuing BEWs to every student and staff on ground and expected to enter the trg area before Tuesday).

Do you mean difficult to get exchanged at the QM up in the school??

Or difficult to get at Clothing Stores?? And when was that?? Because we always had a couple hundred clear and shade lens ... on auto-replenishment when the stock hit our minimum levels ... we've never breached zero stock as far back as I can remember ... which is since the replacement lens came into the system 3 years ago.

And, yes they do scratch very easily. I've submitted a UCR (and others have too) -- still waiting -- although they did come out with a new lens cover afterwards that only covers the lens and thus prevents the arms from scratching the lens. You should wander down to your clothing stores and pick one up if you haven't already.

The "Jolly" bit had more to do with the bushwacking aspect, not the BEWs, Vern  ;)
And about the difficulty to get exchanges - this was both during CAP last summer and IODP 1.1 this year. We as students don't get the chance to go to the Clothing Stores building unless it's to purchase an item of kit that was lost. I think even then some of the guys on my course had trouble getting replacement BEWs. I submitted my scratched clear lenses to my staff only to have them come back to me a couple of days later, telling me and the rest of the course that there weren't any more replacement lenses in stock and that we had to suck it up and make do.

DirtyDog said:
As far as googles go, I'm interested in trying a pair of these out:

large_71.jpg

TSOs have stated these goggles are banned in Kandahar, as the pad on the inside will melt under the heat from an explosion. Heck, even the issued tan gloves are banned for use in vehicles for the same reason, can use them on patrol but not while you're driving...

I don't mind the BEW, and I wear the prescription inserts as well. Only bad side is the constant switching between clear and sun lenses, and the fact that the perscription lense takes a while to get used to. Almost like looking through a fishbowl.

They made a mistake on the name of the guy : it's not Murgais, but Murgia, it's an italian name, and the guy is from my unit. He was on sick leave for a little while, now back in service whitin is section.

Back