• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic the way it should be

ArmyRick said:
My views on Basic?

I teach REG F SQ so I have a little insight.
(1) Mix BMQ and SQ together and make it at least 5 moths (20 weeks) for army pers only

(2) Knock it off with the trying to teach all recruits at St Jean, have the training centers conduct the off the street to quality soldier

(3) Lets ditch fire trench (Like really), maybe teach shell scrapes because even in the last Iraq war, yanks were digging "Ranger graves", similar to a shell scrape.

(4) For fire and movement, lets stop pretending that a section can do a serious offensive action by itself. HOWEVER we teach fire and movement. Start with team, then group, then section. With emphasis on short distances and good rills. Then progress to live fire for the previous drills but instead of assaulting "Lone trench", have realistic bunkers built and stuff. Also for that secnario, include a GPMG to help fire the section in (more realistic). Oh yeah, use live grenades (It boost soldiers confidence).

(5) Include other trg such as counter ambush for convoys, IED equiped suicide bombers, ambush in urban areas, etc, etc

(6) Include a Typical canadian style camp built in each trg center (hasco whatever they're called with bunkers, wires, trip flares, gates, road blocks), for their defensive ex, they will defend their camp in a worst case scenario. I would throw in stuff like rocket and mortar attacks, suicide bombers on foot and vehicle, drive by shootings, snipers, RPG attacks, etc.    Its alot more realistic than digging a 2 up, 1 back platoon formation defensive with your two course driver store man running around at night shooting at the troops and throwing some T-Flashes.    

BOTTOM LINE "THINK OUTSIDE THE 1980 BOX"
Some of this stuff is already being worked into the new BMQ and IAP. A friend of mine is working on the new courses at CFLRS, and they are building CDN-style camps in Farnham to replace the traditional bivouacs. Defence of a fixed point and counter-ambush drills are also being added I believe.

Back