• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Becoming a Sniper (merged)

Yes fdl,
My first post here was very poorly typed and GW pounced on it immediately. Now is the time in life to do more listening than talking, not an easy habit for us young men to start   ;D

oakley said:
Why do you guys want to be snipers so bad?

I've never understood the fascination with it...You realise that 99% of the time, you'd just be lying in the cold(or heat), right? Now, I am no sniper myself, but I know that they make up part of the recce platoon, and are there as much to observe as they are to engage. I'm sure there are many on this board who know more about it than I, so I won't pretend to know more than I really do.

I suppose the question above could be asked regarding infantry instead of snipers...however I'm just curious, why do you want to do it? I know it looks cool in movies, and it sure is fun in video games, but I personally wouldn't want to do it.

There are some aspects which are interesting, of course. The concept of perfecting your shooting ability, and your weapon to the point where you could hit a dime from 800m is kind of alluring, if only from a professional/perfectionist point of view.

The reason we all want to become snipers is because we are, in a way perfectionists. To be a sniper you have to be able to blend in perfectly, be silent, fast, and when the time comes, reveal your position and yet nobody is able to find you. A sniper is the ultimate challenge because it truly pushes you mentally and physically. Im not saying that other trades don't so don't get me wrong, but personally, to be a sniper, and elite, would make my week.

So...someone please explain it to me. Why do you want to be snipers?

I have no problem with that "99%" of  lying in the cold or heat or whatever I would do.
I would to be a sniper because it's a good challenge I know a sniper in real life is nothing like in the movies or video game. I would because it would be hard and to show people that the mountain
isn't to high to climb. :bullet:

Assuming you are in the infantry, a good place to start is by joining the rifle team, if they still have them. When I was in (88 to 91), the team I was on, (2 RCR), won the Letson Trophy (unit championship for Canada), Tyro Trophy (top first year shooter), and Queen's Medal (top shot in Canada). That was Todd S I think. The next year Fabian S from the same team won the Queen's medal. Fabian was a nut job. They made a rule about not eating on the range because he used to eat worms to freak out the competition.

Anyway several guys on the team became snipers. As an infantry soldier you really only learn the basics of shooting. Join the rifle team and you can become the Zen master and learn to guide the bullet with your mind, young Padewan learner. At least that is how it felt to me.

[edited names out]

oh and mastering your fieldcraft would also be a good idea.
remember the biggest reason why things are seen.....MOVEMENT  ::)

For anyone who wants  in this thread who wants to be a sniper, my own advice, coming from an unexperienced point of view (As a sniper that is, as I've obviously never been one), go for it, and be extremely disapointed with yourself if you fail, and channel that disapointment into a rage, and then channel that rage into training, and improve yourself to a point where you're capable of passing... just a thought though. Other then that, accept that a life of mediocrity within the military is still a life hundreds of times beyond a life of mediocrity in the civvy world.

Oakley,

I can't say I really know you, or all of the experiances which culminate in you as a soldier.  I myself am very new(going on two years in the Infantry Reserve).  However snappy comments that may insinuate your superiority over other soldiers, new or old it doesn't matter, is not only disgraceful to yourself, your unit, and your country that we all serve, but also to the other new soldiers on this site.  A site like this enable members to share experiance's with each other quickly and with many different sources guiding the gathering of our information, again new or old.  New members find it difficult enough to have their ideas accepted as credible and your display of disrespect won't help make it any easier or make us any more credible.

Oakley,

I can't say I really know you, or all of the experiances which culminate in you as a soldier.  I myself am very new(going on two years in the Infantry Reserve).

meaning you have twice as much time in than him AND your trained.

Don't take smart ass comments from people too seriously. Theres a reason some people can ONLY resort to sarcasim.

Some suggestions on becoming a sniper.

1)Reg force or reserve does not matter however it will be easier to get the course as a reg force member, i believe.
2) Shooting skill  ...... obviously
3) strong map reading and compass skills....You would hate to get lost.
4) personal fitness, mental and physical... it's a tough course and tough job.

Also relalize you may fail the first time.. and then maybe the second time. On a course of twenty or so guys usually only one or two actually pass. At least that was the old standard and I don't think it has changed much in the last few years. I know many guys who have failed and probabally should not have failed. Snipers are an elite, close knit group of guys and a very powerful weapon for any batallion.

I hope it works out for you.
Good Luck

Cdn. Royal said:
1)Reg force or reserve does not matter however it will be easier to get the course as a reg force member, i believe.

I hate to use my first post by correcting someone but reserve soldiers are not able to undergo sniper training.

There is some serious misinformation going on here.

To be a sniper you need
1)to be a 031
2) in the reg force.
3) pass your recce ptlmn crse
4) be selected by the recce pl and your CoC
5) pass the pre - sniper
6) pass the course
and then about 1/3 of the qualified guys do it full time.

A worthy goal though, don't stop trying - good luck!

These are the facts. Here are a few points I can add:

7) it is preferred that you would be a right handed shot
8) it is preferred that you do not wear glasses or contacts.
9) you should not have any history of drug or alcohol abuse
10) you should have achieved a marksman score on your last PWT

Back home I have the PAM, which outlines all the considerations. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Hello all

I'm not(and never have been infantry) but I do believe that, as well as joining the rifle team, a member should try and get the Recce Patrolman's course. If I'm not mistaken (please correct me as required) its one of the pre-requisits to getting selected for the sniper program. The other of course is to be the best soldier you can be and prove to the powers-that-be that you are a mature, hard working soldier with good personal discipline who is capable of completing tasks with minimal supervision.

Just my thoughts

Slim

From what I know, to become a sniper you

1) Need Basic Recce course
2) Need to be in Recce Pl
3) Pass your Pre-Sniper course
4) Pass your Sniper course

most of the guys who just went on their basic recce were sucked into recce pl and all of them are being sent on the pre-sniper course. And being a non smoker does not matter because their are smokers who are snipers.  :cdn:

And as a side note, you do not need to be 031 to go on a snipers course, however 031 is the trade to be employed in a sniper det.

For me, the whole allure of being a sniper is the independence involved and as well the initiative needed to make your own decisions.

SeanPaul_031 said:
For me, the whole allure of being a sniper is the independence involved and as well the initiative needed to make your own decisions.

Every soldier, at certain times,  needs to be able to act independantly and/or upon their own initiative. Snipers follow orders just like everybody else.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
And as a side note, you do not need to be 031 to go on a snipers course, however 031 is the trade to be employed in a sniper det.

You sure about that? AFAIK, the Inf Bn's run their own sniper courses, and I highly doubt they would be open to the idea of someone outside that realm (i.e. another MOC) taking a position that one of their own could fill. Of course, there may be exceptions to the norm, but I would assume it's EXTREMELY rare to see.....

I'm going by memory, but having read the TP for AFEA Basic Sniper a week or so ago, the prerequisites include: qualified AFDZ Basic Recce Patrolman, passed PT test, achieved marksman on PWT 3 and medically fit including the psych evaluation.

As far as PRes, the TP does not disallow them taking the course, but it does say the course will only be run full time for the scheduled 45 training days, not in parts or blocks.  Therefore a Reservist would have to meet the prerequisites and be loaded on a Reg F course.  In reality the chances of this are close to non existant as each Bn/Regt runs a pre-sniper course to ensure they have the best possible candidates (keeping in mind the failure rate is often 50% or higher).

As far as other trades taking the sniper course, while the Sniper TP does not specify 031 (again this by memory), the prerequisite of Basic Recce Patrolman requires you to be qualified DP 1 Infantry.  This would seem to preclude other trades.  While I have seen other cbt arms trades get loaded occasionally on BRP, this is fairly rare and the chances of an individual getting both the course and the experience to make him a viable sniper candidate seem quite remote.

Besides from the above, there isn't much point in training someone to be a sniper when his unit has neither the mandate nor the equipment to make use of his training.  The vacancy is better used elsewhere.  To put it in perspective, with the two serials of Basic Sniper being run within LFWA this year (one finished and one commencing shortly) total about 36 candidates.  Assuming they all passed, this is still only 12 newly trained snipers per Bn as these courses are run Regimentally (the Bn's don't have a sufficient number of qualified Sniper Det Comds/Adv Snipers/Master Snipers to run their own - at least without being a major hassle).

Colour me curious, but why the infatuation with snipers?  This seems to be a common thread among the newer soldiers.  To use an old saying, The grass is always greener on the other side.  Most soldiers have a difficult enough time dealing with the more common attrocities heaped upon them.  I commend you all for the drive & ambition.  BUT reality sucks!!  When you are there, you squeeze off your rnd, & follow it to target, your whole perspectives of life are for ever changed.  It is no longer a primarily faceless enemy at what ever range.  It becomes very personal.

After you have squeezed off that round, & the initial panic on the far side gives way, YOU, have just become the fox in the fox hunt. Your role has just reversed from hunter to quarry.

Back to the curious, I would like to hear the real reasons for wanting to be a part of this trade.
Cheers

Back