• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMNQ 2013-Current: Naval Reserve

I did apply online. Chose Logistics Officer at first. Then I picked up NCM trades when visiting the local regiment.

Just to let you know you can either apply as an officer or an NCM, you cannot apply as both.  Just to manage your expectations...

Yes, I know. I could pick Logistics Officer but was told there were not too many opportunities, so I chose NCM trades instead.

Sorry if there's a thread for this elsewhere, I haven't been able to find any information on this elsewhere. Happy for a referral though.

I recently enrolled in the naval reserves as a marine technician but I'm a student and all the summer slots for BMQ are full. Consequently, I'll be working on the reserve base for a year before taking BMQ, and two years before taking my occupational training. I'm curious how much this will impact what I'm doing on base. Obviously there will be a lot I simply can't do due to lack of training, but will I be able to start any sort of work as a marine technician in the next two years or will I be doing grunt work for the foreseeable future?

Whatami Gettinginto - are you able to give a broad overview of some of the stuff you covered in BMOQ Mod 1?  I understand there's been some changes lately and I'm interesting in what is currently covered.

Also interested in hearing from current freshly minted Logistics officers/sergeants on what their full time or reserve work is like.

TIA

ontheedge said:
broad overview of some of the stuff you covered in BMOQ Mod 1?
Wish I could but I'm currently doing MOD 2 before MOD 1. Some NCdts have completed MOD 3 before MODs 2 & 1. MOD 1 is done online.

I am really enjoying the whole thing but eager to get into the LogO specific coursework. That's where I'll excel from previous work experience. Walk before you run though. On that note, sooo much running in PT right now.

Whatami Gettinginto said:
Wish I could but I'm currently doing MOD 2 before MOD 1. Some NCdts have completed MOD 3 before MODs 2 & 1. MOD 1 is done online.

I am really enjoying the whole thing but eager to get into the LogO specific coursework. That's where I'll excel from previous work experience. Walk before you run though. On that note, sooo much running in PT right now.

Can you share what you are learning about?  are there resources we can read from to prepare for all this stuff?  I have been reading some doctrinal stuff but would love to get samples of what's covered in the Mod courses.

We don't have a manual. Much of what we are covering with Policies and Procedures is very basic in nature. Really learning all of the NCM and Officer Rank symbols and names would be a good step ahead. Speaking of steps, knowing the basic commands for Drill would be a good idea but don't start actually doing it on your own forming bad habits.

Still early days myself.

Wow thank!!  I found this. Crazy... I just thought there was one drill .., Ie. MARCH

www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-201/dhh_manual_drill_cermonial_chap-1.pdf

Stop stressing yourself out.

Relax and Chill out!

Yes. The drill manual, the JAG site and CAF documents are online.
It's great you are interested enough to search that much, but now you're
going too far, "without context or training".

Read more, ask less.

If you have questions, copy and paste this into Google:
"site:navy.ca QUESTION"

I’m not stressing!  I’m kind of pumped actually.
Drills look so cool.
That being said, I may be idealizing. Do soldiers actually like doing drills?  Or is that just weird.
I feel like drills can be quite hypnotic and therapeutic. Kind of like after doing yoga. It’s tough no doubt but you walk away feeling alert and discipline and part of a team.
So... show of hands... how do people feel about doing their drills??

ontheedge said:
... how do people feel about doing their drills??

Opinions vary,
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&biw=1280&bih=621&ei=lGLDW73eBMzx5gKjiqT4BQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++drill&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++drill&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..84265...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.YKhQbWOuDZE

kratz said:
Stop stressing yourself out.

Relax and Chill out!

From way back in 2005,

OP: "Stop panicking, do your PT, and THAT'S IT. That's it. It's that friggin' simple! There's no need to read any secret books. There's no requirement to study before you go. Everything you will need to learn will be taught to you"

kratz said:
Read more, ask less.

:)

Also saw in the regulations that soldiers aren’t allowed doing “drills” for  other foreign armies (makes sense) but also not allow doing drills for domestic “organizations“. Would that include stuff like Freemasons?

ontheedge said:
Also saw in the regulations that soldiers aren’t allowed doing “drills” for  other foreign armies (makes sense) but also not allow doing drills for domestic “organizations“. Would that include stuff like Freemasons?

Not that I am aware of. But, you can check here,

Freemasonry 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/49904.50
10 pages.

Thank you, for your post. Very helpful. So is it best to buy Q tips prior to arriving at Basic Military Naval Qualification Training? I assume there might be the opportunity to go out and shop after arriving at training.

Not sure where the QTips angle of the thread came from, but there will be a shop for you to purchase personal hygiene items. 

Cloud Cover said:
Not sure where the QTips angle of the thread came from, but there will be a shop for you to purchase personal hygiene items.

Naval Reservist is a graduate who posted Reply #25 with the heading "Guide to BMNQ (Basic Military Naval Qualification)." In this particular post, he or she advised to have "Q-tips for cleaning weapons"

Hi everyone,

I just submitted an application to the Forces earlier this week. Even though I applied for Naval Communicator in the reserves. I am open to the same position in the regular forces. I received an email indicating:

In Phase I, recruits are expected to complete a total of 6 days of training that can be completed from home. During this time, you may also be asked to come into the unit on a Monday or Wednesday evening.

The Phase II portion of the course is run ‘in-house’  at HMCS YORK lasting the equivalent of about 14 full days

The Phase III portion of the course lasts 3 weeks for Non-Commissioned Members (NCMs). It is run out of Camp Vimy at the 2nd Canadian Division Training Division in Quebec. Dates are as follows:

o  BMQ:

Serial 1: May 22, 2019 – June 11, 2019

OR

Serial 2: July 4, 2019 – July 24, 2019

OR

Serial 3: July 31, 2019 – August 20, 2019

I am assuming the training dates above for BMQ are not to be confused with training dates for Naval Communicator training. I'm not sure where the Naval Communicator training will be. If someone knows where and when I might take this specific Naval Communicator training please let me know. 

After watching Truth Duty Valour Episode 403 on YouTube I was under the impression that training would be 14 weeks in Quebec. So when I received the email saying BMQ is 3 weeks, it gave me the idea that boot camp would be more bearable.

If anyone can offer advice/tips knowledge for preparing for the 3 week BMQ training at Camp Vimy please share. What does the training at Camp Vimy include? Do they give an outline on what is taught each week? Should I buy a waterproof notebook? If I want to keep organized with having a binder for each course taught, how many binders will I need?

I have had people try to teach me to swim however I can't seem to swim for the life of me. I have heard of some of swim test with your uniform on at BMQ in Quebec. Not sure what the tests are like at Campy Vimy. Is the swimming something that can hold me back from passing BMQ?

What is life like at Camp Vimy? Any responses and/or up to date links online I can use to help better my understanding would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Relax and follow your training from your Divisional System. Both Phase I and II are meant to simply train and build everyone up to pass Phase III.
The length of time away from home to attend basic has been greatly reduced to three weeks, through DL /CBT since TDV was filmed.

Correct, your trades training will occur at NFS(A) or NFS(P), after you have completed BMNQ.
A minor swim portion is part of your follow on training, during NETP and later career refresher courses, but you'll always be wearing PPE, so no worries.

Back