• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Regular Force 2005 - 2017 [Merged]

Eye In The Sky said:
I did Basic in '89.  Nothing really got 'hard' PT wise until Week 5, when we got issued our personal wpns, and changed from workdress to combats.  We all thought the end of Week 4 was awesome...got ours C1s!  Get to wear combats!

Week 5 Monday morning...we realized that meant running.  everywhere.  at the port arms.

So, my simple advice is....'wait for it'.  It may be PowerPoint now, but before Powerpoint there was this thing called an Overhead Projector.  The "Death By OHP" has just been modernized to Death By PP.

What is new since the 'good ol days' other than PP?  600% increase in the 'sense of entitlement troops', 1200% increase in people wanting to join the CAF who don't have the physical stamina/ability to do weekly grocery shopping, let alone basic military training.

*WAIT FOR IT*

Ahhh good old FNs, Black Wednesday, running in TOPP high to the gas hut and NOT getting your pennant in week 7. Finally seeing the G&G almost 8 weeks in, the friggin grey coveralls. Remember that room that was always locked? Yea, it have everything we ever knew in it. They took our watches! Losing every privilege know to man and having to use our arms as clothes hangers till we puked or fell.

Yep. Good old days right there. Made real men (and really hard-ass women too!!) ** Ahem Vern cough**

Hey all! Just thought I'd start a new post for anyone heading to BMQ for March 14th. My name is Cole, I'll be coming from Moncton, New Brunswick. I'm heading in as a combat engineer.

Hey I was wondering if a speeding ticket will hinder my basic training. I am in a position where I should fight it but I am worried it will hold up my training. The court day would be after bmq and I will be having a ticket fighting company appearing in court for me. What are your peoples thoughts on this. Should I just pay or will I be ok to fight it? Thanks

I pretty much had the same thing happen to me.  It didn't hinder me. Because I paid the ticket.

I don't know your circumstances, but I'd rather not be worrying about unnecessary shit during BMQ.

It doesn't matter one iota how you deal with it nor does anyone at CFLRS care.

2002toyota said:
Hey I was wondering if a speeding ticket will hinder my basic training. I am in a position where I should fight it but I am worried it will hold up my training. The court day would be after bmq and I will be having a ticket fighting company appearing in court for me. What are your peoples thoughts on this. Should I just pay or will I be ok to fight it? Thanks

How big is the ticket? I'd just pay it.

Thanks guys for your quick replies. I guess Ill go ahead and fight it because its basically a guaranteed win. I just wanted to be sure its not going to have consequences.

Well its a 257$ plus a bologna 65$ "failure to surrender insurance paper" cause my paper was expired. I was following the flow of traffic in a blizzard and nobody else slowed down. I guess I should have

2002toyota said:
Well its a 257$ plus a bologna 65$ "failure to surrender insurance paper" cause my paper was expired. I was following the flow of traffic in a blizzard and nobody else slowed down. I guess I should have

So you were speeding in a blizzard?!  Shows your judgement.  You had expired insurance papers?  Not bologna, and there is only one person to blame... 

I'd suck it up, toss it in the lessons learned and move on.

Yes I guess your right its that they recently changed the speed limit from 80 to 60 so i would have only been 7 over. I guess I should not start making excuses before basic training.

2002toyota said:
Yes I guess your right its that they recently changed the speed limit from 80 to 60

Not reading road signs and driving on autopilot are a real good way to get into an accident. Pay the fine, put it behind you, issue resolved.

In some provinces, failing to have insurance (i.e. it was expired) is multiple thousands of dollars in fines, a tow to a safe place (or an impound lot) until your car is re-insured and an automatic court appearance. I would say you got off very very lucky. You can fight it and somehow (I'm not sure how) defer responsibility for your actions (speeding) or in-actions (failing to renew your insurance) because you think you can win or you can pay your fines, take your lumps and get on with your life.

2002toyota said:
Yes I guess your right its that they recently changed the speed limit from 80 to 60 so i would have only been 7 over. I guess I should not start making excuses before basic training.

I hope that is the sentiment that sticks with you through your career.

2002toyota said:
Thanks guys for your quick replies. I guess Ill go ahead and fight it because its basically a guaranteed win.

I'm sure that's what the ticket fighting company told you.  ::) But enjoy assuming the police don't know their job. Let us know how it works out for you.

SupersonicMax said:
So you were speeding in a blizzard?!  Shows your judgement.  You had expired insurance papers?  Not bologna, and there is only one person to blame... 

I'd suck it up, toss it in the lessons learned and move on.

Or he was caught by a policeman who didn't have a reliable assessment of his speed in bad conditions. And he got a ticket for having an expired insurance card while he did have valid insurance, which he should have 24hrs to prove, if he has a case to fight it good for him. So many holier than thou attitudes and assumptions as to the situation... wow.

Brihard said:
I'm sure that's what the ticket fighting company told you.  ::) But enjoy assuming the police don't know their job. Let us know how it works out for you.

The police know their jobs very well, however they often assume citizens are ignorant. 

We all frig up.  Some people just own up to their mistakes instead of trying to shift blame to avoid consequences. You should have learnt this in YMJ.

I see how YMJ lessons relate... Sort of? I mean yeah own up to your screw ups sure but definitely don't go hide in a corner of you were dealt a bad hand? He was just worried a ticket he's fighting will be an issue at BMQ, which honestly I wish I could answer, but I have no idea. His biggest mistake was to reveal why he got a ticket which allowed all of us to speculate on his motives and integrity and at the end of the day isn't doing this poor chap any favour.

Back