• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

Hey! this is my first post so apologies if I am asking a question that has already been posted! I just have a few questions regarding BMQ! Can I do BMQ this summer without making any other committments of doing military courses? I'm currently doing my degree and I plan on becoming a reservist once I am done. The reason I am interested in joining BMQ is because it is during the summer( The only free time I have) and I have been interested in joining the military as a reservist for a long time.
-Can someone tell me about the qualifications needed?
-Where will BMQ take place? I live in BC, near vancouver.
-and mainly, Can I just do BMQ  this summer without signing up for any other military commitments such as parades, ect, as I will be busy with school until I am done!

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am pretty oblivious when it comes to the military but I'd love to learn as I worked at the base as a civilian this summer.

Thanks in advance for all the replies :) Sorry for any typos!

Eb1443 said:
Hey! this is my first post so apologies if I am asking a question that has already been posted!

This may help,

Summer BMQ
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+summer+BMQ&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tmB_VoT4OMyC8QeH3KK4Cg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+%22summer+BMQ%22

If you can't commit to working a few evenings and a weekend or two a month as a reservist, don't waste yours or the CAF's time. Plenty of people have been able to juggle university along with reserve commitments before and after you.

The Reserves are not just a summer job, and most BMQs are on weekends throughout the school year. You can apply for excused drill and training for the school year, but I expect it would be denied if you tried it immediately after joining.

Eb1443 said:
Hey! this is my first post so apologies if I am asking a question that has already been posted! I just have a few questions regarding BMQ! Can I do BMQ this summer without making any other committments of doing military courses? I'm currently doing my degree and I plan on becoming a reservist once I am done. The reason I am interested in joining BMQ is because it is during the summer( The only free time I have) and I have been interested in joining the military as a reservist for a long time.
-Can someone tell me about the qualifications needed?
-Where will BMQ take place? I live in BC, near vancouver.
-and mainly, Can I just do BMQ  this summer without signing up for any other military commitments such as parades, ect, as I will be busy with school until I am done!

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am pretty oblivious when it comes to the military but I'd love to learn as I worked at the base as a civilian this summer.

Thanks in advance for all the replies :) Sorry for any typos!

No. You can't just join to do BMQ. If you join the reserves you are joining the military so you can't join, do BMQ and quit. It would be a waste of your time, the CF's time and you'd be denying another applicant who wanted to commit to the military the chance to do so. If you don't want to commit to actually doing what's required of you in the military, don't bother filling out the application. 

Eb1443 said:

To add to the advice from PuckChaser and AgentSmith, you may wish to read this,

Exempt Drill and Training Form - Merged 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/31042.25

See also,

ED&T
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ED%26T&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=XzWAVrH1O-KM8Qf-8regBQ&gws_rd=ssl

Welcome to Army.ca, Eb1443.

Before you post anything else, spend some time reading through older threads and learning to use the Search Function.

Note how long some of those threads are. That is because people keep asking the same questions again and again in new threads rather than doing a little work themselves. We DS then have to waste our time merging or culling them, and new members who have sufficient motivation to look before asking then have to waste their time reading the same things again and again.

If, after exhausting your abilities, you still cannot find an answer, and have actually discovered one of the rarest of the rare - a truly unique question - feel free to pose it and we will then be very happy to provide an answer.

I'm a little late, but thanks again for the info runormal! I understand the BMQ is now 5 weeks and the BMQ-L is around 3 weeks (if full-time).

I hope my unit will accept me in January or February. I can't wait to start training! 

Cheers! :)

With reserve bmq is 4 week during summer or you can do it during week end

kiwiii

Welcome to army.ca

Please READ before you post a question that has already been asked hundreds of times already. 

So a few days ago i got an email for the job offer as an infantry soldier. Of course i accepted. But i go to st jean on march 12th! I have been going to the gym a couple times a week when i could. I thought when they would give me a job offer i would have at least 1-3 months before i head to BMQ. Then i would start really prepping myself and training hard for a couple months leading to BMQ. but now i have two weeks to get into the best possible shape. I have decent (not perfect) upper body strength and I'm a fast runner, BUT i cant run for too long, I'd like to say its my only weakness, but im not sure, im 6ft 165lbs and 18 years old. Could anyone give me any advice on how to prepare my mind and body for BMQ within two weeks?
NOTE: i currently work Night Shift 11:30pm-7am and my sleeping pattern is all screwed up. How bad will this affect me? My last day there is the 4th of march. Im hoping that i could get my sleeping pattern back together by the 12th? Thanks for any help. Much appreciated :)

Do as many pushups as you can, add in some pullups and situps and run 5-10 km at a slower pace. Do all of this as often as possible. Keep an open mind, work hard, help your buddies and the rest will take care of itself. Remember, doing these things will only go towards making things slightly easier for you, it will still be tough. How badly your sleep pattern affects you depends on you.

You should be able to get your sleep sorted out in a few days, I've work the night shift a few times. I don't I slept the first few nights anyways in basic. Can you run a 5km in like 25 mins? You run as a platoon not as individuals.

I can't help you with bmq as I have not been selected yet, so it's not my place to say anything. However, to reverse your sleep pattern I do know all about. Simply put, after your last shift do not go to sleep until at least 10 pm that day, I realize that isn't easy but it works. That night don't let yourself sleep more then 8 hrs then stay awake next day until at least 11pm before going to bed. You will not feel so great those two days however it is the fastest way to reverse your sleeping habit. I have had to do this more then once in my lifetime and it works like a charm. Hope this helps, good luck at BMQ and congratulations!!

Also, consider dropping a 10mg melatonin about 10 minutes before you go to bed the first few nights you are adjusting your sleep.  Turn off all lights, or at least turn them down...an hour'ish or so before you plan on sleeping.

Go to bed 'clean'; no iPhone, laptop, TV etc on.  Set your body up to sleep and then let it.

I adjust my sleep pattern fairly regularly in my line of work, sometimes more than once a week.  This sleep discipline can work.

Turning the lights off will help; when it is bright, your body will not produce melatonin.  Once it is dark (or your brain thinks it is...), you will release some melatonin.  The 10mg supplement will likely have you drop off to sleep in a matter of a minute once it is in your bloodstream (the ones I buy are placed under the tongue) if you set your sleep area up for actual sleep.

Reference training...train as hard as you can without injuring yourself.  Don't show up to BMQ already injured.

:2c:

RELAX!

If you're going to the gym and/or running a few times a week, you'll be fine.  It doesn't matter how many push-ups you can do - no one is being assessed for that anymore.  If your instructors don't think you're doing enough push-ups fast enough, they'll yell at you, but they'll yell at you anyway.  Don't take it personally and carry on.

People get too bent out of shape over "preparing" for BMQ/BMOQ.  If you're in reasonable shape (i.e. running/working out a few times a week at a moderate pace), you will be just fine and probably better prepared than others on the course.  If you have only two weeks to go before BMQ, keep your runs/workouts MODERATE.  Do not go crazy.  Do not risk injury before you get there.

Again, RELAX.

Chowder2016 said:
So a few days ago i got an email for the job offer as an infantry soldier. Of course i accepted. But i go to st jean on march 12th! I have been going to the gym a couple times a week when i could. I thought when they would give me a job offer i would have at least 1-3 months before i head to BMQ. Then i would start really prepping myself and training hard for a couple months leading to BMQ. but now i have two weeks to get into the best possible shape. I have decent (not perfect) upper body strength and I'm a fast runner, BUT i cant run for too long, I'd like to say its my only weakness, but im not sure, im 6ft 165lbs and 18 years old. Could anyone give me any advice on how to prepare my mind and body for BMQ within two weeks?
NOTE: i currently work Night Shift 11:30pm-7am and my sleeping pattern is all screwed up. How bad will this affect me? My last day there is the 4th of march. Im hoping that i could get my sleeping pattern back together by the 12th? Thanks for any help. Much appreciated :)

It takes a few days for your sleep patterns to adjust, going from night shifts to day shifts won't be too bad.

What I DO suggest you do is start limiting yourself to 5-6 hours of sleep a night. 

As soon as you wake up brush your choppers and shave your face as fast as you can without jihading yourself.

Be able to wake up and shave in under 5 minutes if possible.

Max out your push ups and sit ups 3 times a day. 

Do an hour of running at least 3 times a week.

Basically going through basic training is a system shock. Little sleep, poor sleeping conditions, stress, random physical shit you have to do and physical excretion, different food, dumb roomates.  By subjecting your body to lack of sleep, stress, push ups and runs and all that stuff you're basically inoculating your body. When you get to basic and this stuff happens you'll be less fucked up then if you didn't and (in theory) you'll perform somewhat better than your peers.

You're going to the infantry. Save being a greyman for other (no less noble) trades. Volunteer for every single job and task, especially the shittiest ones. Push yourself until you puke on PT. Punish yourself for not scoring perfect on every test or inspection.

Be like Rodger Young.

Jarnhamar said:
As soon as you wake up brush your choppers and shave your face as fast as you can without jihading yourself.

:rofl:

d2e4e8dd9ef263e216afa8e306966bb1.jpg

BMQ for myself was a lot easier than I expected. I started to prepare almost a year before I got my offer, thinking it was going to be pretty intense... I'm standing a hair under 6", and was about 160lbs going in. I was also 34 years old going in.. which I thought was going to make things tough.. turns out, the pt was not near as tough as I was expecting. I'm a terrible runner, but we didn't do much running. Most of the stress was all in your head for the most part. Sure, they are going to make you do a bunch of push ups (no more than 25 at a time) and they will yell at you, but it doesn't matter how good you do, they will yell at you anyway. Just keep in mind, it's just a game and you just have to learn to play along. I had a lot of fun with it during my 3 months there. bed at 11 awake and ready to go by 5. You will be giving impossible timings to meet and be told you're a failure for not making it. Just do your best, and don't take anything personally. Unless you REALLY do suck, in which case, you will know. There will a few little reviews with you along the way where you can talk one on one with your instructor to find out what you are exceeding in, and they will tell you where you need to focus. They won't be yelling at you at this point lol..

Back