• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes

It's a nice drive to Florida.
Couldn't agree more! Lots to see, and when one isn't in a rush, I'd prefer that too

Its funny...as a kid I loved flying. Always wanted to be a pilot. I even had my Student Pilot Permit before I had my Driver's License (youngest in Alberta at the time)

Now? I think the reality has finally hit me that I'm sitting in a tube going 750mph roughly 35,000 feet above the ground...and the company that built the thing has decided to skip most of the safety inspections & has a habit of using recycled or defective parts because it's faster than waiting for a new part.

(Gotta keep 38 a month rolling off the assembly line...heaven forbid they cut back to 35 & actually did some of those inspections!)

I know flying is statistically much safer than driving, but given the option I think I'd rather drive too

I have confidence in the tech (or, at least the odds, I'm not sure). I simply got tired of being treated like cattle.

Meanwhile, in the Infantry...

Civil War Movie GIF by euronews

Couldn't agree more! Lots to see, and when one isn't in a rush, I'd prefer that too

Its funny...as a kid I loved flying. Always wanted to be a pilot. I even had my Student Pilot Permit before I had my Driver's License (youngest in Alberta at the time)

Now? I think the reality has finally hit me that I'm sitting in a tube going 750mph roughly 35,000 feet above the ground...and the company that built the thing has decided to skip most of the safety inspections & has a habit of using recycled or defective parts because it's faster than waiting for a new part.

(Gotta keep 38 a month rolling off the assembly line...heaven forbid they cut back to 35 & actually did some of those inspections!)

I know flying is statistically much safer than driving, but given the option I think I'd rather drive too
My trust and confidence in "experts" is wanting these days.

Rudders are an optional extra, right? Not important for flight control? So proper manufacturing controls to keep moisture out of actuators isn't necessary?

In general, not used nearly as much as ailerons or elevators.

Interestingly, it was a Boeing product affected by Collins Aerospace a Raytheon Technologies (RTX) Company product, that has been acquired by Safran, which is the main supplier of actuators to Airbus…

The Horrific Reason Germany's Air Force Called the F-104 Starfighter “Widow Maker”

The Starfighter got off to a very bad start when, in Jun. 1962, four F-104s were practicing for the type’s “introduction-into-service” display and crashed in formation, killing all four pilots.

With almost 300 days of sunshine a year, Luke Air Force Base (AFB) in Phoenix, Arizona, was an excellent place to train and, given that German pilots could avoid the European bad weather, the airfield was chosen by the country to train its future F-104 drivers. But when the pilots returned to the harsh German weather, problems immediately arose.

The issues were in two areas.

First, the speeds that the F-104 had to fly for approach and landing very high – much higher than the earlier jets – and went very fast, especially for an inexperienced pilot flying in seriously bad weather.

Second, since the Luftwaffe Starfighters’ had to perform the low-level high-speed attack mission and in those kind of sorties the aircraft was very sensitive to control-input and extremely unforgiving to pilot error.

The result was a horrific number of accidents. In fact 61 German F-104s had crashed, with a loss of 35 pilots by mid-1966.

Gen. Wernher Panitzki, the then Commander of the Luftwaffe, was forced to resign when he said that the Starfighter purchase was politically motivated. His successor was the Luftwaffe World War II-ace Lt. Gen. Johannes Steinhoff, who, as told by Michel, immediately grounded the F-104Gs, at least partially (and wisely) to install a new ejection seat.

To add to the Starfighters’ problems, it was learned that, in fact, Lockheed had bribed officials in Germany and other countries in the process of selling the F-104, though the German Starfighter purchase documents had been destroyed in 1962 by the Ministry of Defence.

However the crashes continued despite a variety of fixes. Between 15 and 20 German 104s crashed every year between 1968 and 1972 and continued at a rate of about 10 F-104s per year until it was replaced.

The final tally was the loss of 292 of the 916 Starfighters and the death of 115 pilots.

Any idea what the Cdn loss rate was? Lost 2 good buddies in the early 70's in Germany.

Back