• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Frankly I suspect Obama will throw anyone to the wolves including the Democrats if it served his interests.

Ex-army chief: UK caught napping as defence cuts bite

Sir Peter Wall warns that Britain has been left unable to tackle the Russian threat after cuts to the defence budget

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11460391/Ex-army-chief-UK-caught-napping-as-defence-cuts-bite.html

Duh... ::)

Is this proof he is a killer? A 15,000-word expose by the respected New Yorker magazine makes devastating claims about Gerry Adams

The IRA co-ordinated first attack on the British mainland On March 8, 1973
Six men, two women convicted of exploding two IRA car bombs in London
New Yorker claims Gerry Adams was present during planning of bombings
Current Sinn Fein leader maintains he has never been a member of the IRA

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2994221/Is-proof-killer-15-000-word-expose-respected-New-Yorker-magazine-makes-devastating-claims-Gerry-Adams.html#ixzz3UN0DRM4i
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Prince Harry is going to leave military service.He certainly has made a contribution and has not avoided wartime service. :salute:

http://news.yahoo.com/prince-harry-quit-british-army-palace-003927038.html;_ylt=A0LEVwgQRAhV3UEAkGBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzc2VhZWxqBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDU01FOTU3XzEEc2VjA3Nj

Bit of a flap over the new RN uniforms.  Personally, I like them as they look practical for shipboard use.  Full story, photos and comparison chart at link below.

Royal Navy's 'cool' new uniform will leave British sailors looking like garage mechanics, critics say

The new design will replace the light blue shirts and trousers worn by sailors for the last 70 years, but has been likened to a 'fire retardant bin liner'

By Bill Gardner

3:15PM GMT 19 Mar 2015

The new darker blue clothes will replace the light blue shirt and trousers known as Action Working Dress, or No4s, worn at sea since the Second World War.

Previously the Ministry of Defence described the new design as “cool and more modern", but reaction to Thursday's announcement was mixed at best.

One Twitter user likened the new look to “a sack of spuds tied in the middle”, while another said the uniform resembled a “fire-retardent bin liner”.

Jamie Frost, a seaman who trains at the University Royal Naval Unit, said: "The new Navy No4s look horrendous. They still can't issue a uniform that fits and it reduces RN

personnel to looking like garage mechanics."

According to the navy, however, feedback from sailors so far has been "mostly positive".

The crew of the Portsmouth-based HMS Lancaster, which will head out to the South Atlantic on Saturday on a nine-month deployment, will be the first to wear the new No4s.

It has several layers, including a t-shirt, top and thermals, and will offer more protection from fires. Badges denoting rank will also be worn on the front, instead of on the

shoulders.

Officially called the Royal Navy Personal Clothing System (RNPCS), the new design has been tested on several ships and submarines.

It is only to be worn during operational duties and will not replace more formal uniforms or the berets and old caps seen by families when sailors return home from deployment.

Cdr Peter Laughton, commanding officer of HMS Lancaster, said: "We are extremely proud and genuinely delighted to be the first ship to wear the Royal Navy's new uniform.

"It is a really practical, smart and modern uniform, and the extra branding allows us to much better represent our service.

"This will most certainly be the case during our current deployment where we are due to transit in excess of 30,000 nautical miles and visit up to 18 different countries."

In the initial rollout about 22,000 sets of the uniform are being issued to sea-going ships.

Vice Admiral Sir David Steel, who led the changes while in his previous post of Second Sea Lord, said the old look was "a bit out of date".

He added: "This is a modern uniform which suits a modern Navy.

"But the most important thing is that it is comfortable to wear in the extremes of climate in which the Royal Navy operates - from the Antarctic to the Gulf."

Ew ew ew. The new Navy working uniform is disgusting, glad I don't ever see M in his

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11482597/Royal-Navys-cool-new-uniform-will-leave-British-sailors-looking-like-garage-mechanics-critics-say.html

jollyjacktar said:
Bit of a flap over the new RN uniforms.  Personally, I like them as they look practical for shipboard use.  Full story, photos and comparison chart at link below.

One problem I can see is the pockets on the legs being easily snagged when moving through various tight spaces, especially the machinery spaces.

We have cargo pockets on our NCD pants.  They've never been an issue with that problem that I've ever heard of or experienced.

Work uniforms should not require an iron.The beret is a bit much.The sailor now looks like he might be in the Army. :)

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GscWFW5cwc#t=35

We've got berets too T6.  I prefer to wear mine to my Peak Cap when I am in an order of dress that allows it.  That goes for my ship's ball cap too.

tomahawk6 said:
Work uniforms should not require an iron.

Agreed, esp something that is treated for/made with fire-resistant chemicals.

Also, in the video the AB says it's better for summer because they can take off the top shirt to work in the t-shirt.  What's the point of having to tuck it into the pants with the big stable belt then?

27 seconds of hell: 33 injured when RAF plane nose-dived 4,400ft after captain took photographs then his Nikon camera became wedged next to the joystick

Voyager jet with 9 crew and 189 military personnel flying to Camp Bastion
33  people suffered minor injuries and one taken to hospital in 'near-miss'
As plane plummeted teapots, cups and bins thrown around cabin
Crew members experienced weightlessness due to g force from fall
Plane was forced to land in Turkey and those on board returned to UK
Report recommends ways of managing pilots' boredom are investigated
It states 'realistic potential for the loss of the aircraft and 198 people'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3007690/Dozens-injured-RAF-transport-plane-nose-dived-4-400ft-27-seconds-Captain-took-photographs-left-Nikon-camera-joystick-stuck.html#ixzz3VECeAH9m
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm guessing that pilot's boredom was cured for some considerable period of time......

2 Snipers. 40 Days. 75 Dead Taliban.

In just 40 days a pair of snipers racked up a mind-boggling 75 confirmed kills, marking them as stick figures on a wood beam using chalk – figures without heads indicated terrorists killed with head shots. At one point, the pair killed eight Taliban in two hours.

Assigned to 4 Rifles of the Welsh Guards Battle Group, Sergeant Tom Potter is credited with 31 confirmed kills while 44 Taliban kills are attributed to Rifleman Mark Osmond.

“I wasn’t comfortable with it at first,” said Osmond, “you start wondering is it really necessary?” The response from locals quickly changed his mind. “We had people coming up to us afterwards, not scared to talk to us. They felt they were being protected”.

“Everybody you hit they drop in a different way,’ says Potter. ‘We did a co-ord shoot on to the one bloke and he just looked like he just fell through a trap door. So we called him Trapdoor Man.”

Read more: http://controversialtimes.com/military/2-snipers-40-days-75-dead-taliban-its-as-epic-as-it-sounds/#ixzz3VFe5cBm8

British soldiers left 'dangerously exposed' in Helmand due to poor decision-making, MPs conclude in scathing report

Commons Defence Committee say military chiefs 'grossly underestimated' the scale of Taliban resistance in Helmand due to 'bewildering' line of command in government

The “bewildering” internal structures in government led to “immensely important and costly decisions” being made with poor knowledge of the situation, it was said.

Britain’s military chiefs “grossly underestimated” the scale of Taliban resistance in Helmand and eventually ten times as many troops as originally planned were needed, the MPs concluded.

They also found one Cabinet minister had no idea they were part of the military decision-making process and startlingly were unable to find out who exactly took the decision to invade Helmand.

In a critical report the Defence Committee said they were “not convinced” military chiefs would make better decisions today and said “significant problems” remain.

The findings will raise fresh questions about whether the procedures inside government for escalating military activity abroad are fit for purpose.

It came as the committee looked into how two recent decisions were made – deploying British troops in Helmand Province in 2006 and the commissioning of new fighter jets for aircraft carriers.

“In both the Helmand and Carrier examples, the MoD seemed to have been poorly informed of the facts, which inevitably led to decision-makers misunderstanding the nature of the problems,” said Rory Stewart, a Tory MP and committee chair.

“Those responsible do not seem to have sought the right expert advice, or if they did, they ignored it. To compound that situation, there does not seem to have been a healthy culture of challenge within the chain of command.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11495583/British-soldiers-left-dangerously-exposed-in-Helmand-due-to-poor-decision-making-MPs-conclude-in-scathing-report.html

Back