• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Jim Seggie said:
Maybe they should play some Justin Bieber for good measure

but what if they fell in love with him?  sheesh....

GAP said:
but what if they fell in love with him?  sheesh....
Then we get a composite platoon of JTF2 and USN SEALS to kidnap him and hand him over.....oh there goes that outside voice again, dang it.

Cuts are hitting Forces' morale, minister admits

Cuts in the Armed Forces have harmed morale among Service personnel, a defence minister has admitted.

Lord Astor of Hever said that ministers have “work to do” to address unhappiness among military personnel.

“It would be wrong of me not to admit that headcount reductions and pay restraint have impacted adversely on morale,” Lord Astor said, speaking in the House of Lords.

Thousands of soldiers have been fired and others have accepted voluntary redundancy under Ministry of Defence plans to shrink the regular Army from 102,000 troops to 82,000 by 2020.

The admission came as peers accused the Government of behaving like Robert Maxwell, the late newspaper tycoon, for firing soldiers days before they become entitled to a full pension.

In one case exposed in the Daily Telegraph, a 40-year-old sergeant serving in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers was sacked when he was only three days away from serving 22 years and qualifying for an immediate pension pot worth £108,000. He will now have to wait until he is 65 to receive the pension.

In other cases, officers who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan were fired weeks short of serving 16 years, at which point they would get an immediate annual stipend of around £12,000.

Lord Touhig, a former Labour defence minister, said the "shameful treatment" was a "dereliction of the military covenant".

Opening the debate on the effect of redundancies on the armed forces, he described the Ministry of Defence's decision as a "reprehensible scandal".

"Not since the notorious crook Robert Maxwell plundered his employees' pensions have we seen an employer, in this case Her Majesty's Government, so contrive a redundancy package to deny a small group who have put their lives on the line for Britain their rightful pension,” he told peers.

Lord Ramsbotham, a crossbench peer and a former adjutant general, said he “deplored” the policy.

Lord West of Spithead, the former First Sea Lord and a former security minister, said the “shabby” treatment of troops had made "a nonsense of the military covenant".

Lord Astor said the Ministry of Defence took the issue “very seriously”, but exempting soldiers from redundancy "solely in order to enable them to reach their immediate pension point" would involve selecting other people in their place, which was "not considered fair".

He said that in non-officer ranks the 22 years of service needed to receive an immediate pension income was reduced to 18 years on redundancy.

"The armed forces redundancy schemes recognise those who miss out on immediate incomes by paying them specifically enhanced tax-free redundancy compensation schemes," he said.

Speaking in the House of Lords, Lord Astor said that the most recent survey showed that 29 per cent of personnel describe morale as low, adding: “We are aware that we have work to do.”

However, an MoD survey this summer suggested 55 per cent of soldiers and three-quarters of officers believe morale is low, the worst level in seven years.

General Sir Peter Wall, the Chief of the General Staff, last year admitted the redundancy programme was dampening morale and creating “gaps” in the Army.

“I appreciate that this is unsettling for many. During this early period of transition, I recognise that gaps are appearing as redundancy bites,” he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10419029/Cuts-are-hitting-Forces-morale-minister-admits.html?goback=%2Egde_133532_member_5802089710964723712#%21

The British are having their own Semrau moment.  Full story and photos at story link below.

Royal Marine is convicted of murder of Taliban insurgent who was shot in the chest at close range - but two comrades are CLEAREDMarine A found guilty of murder after the execution in September 2011 was captured on a helmet camera
Two other marines known as B and C were acquitted today at court martial

Audio recording reveals gunshot and sound of Afghan man moaning
Marine A heard saying: 'There you are. It's nothing you wouldn't do to us'
'This doesn't go anywhere. I just broke the Geneva Convention,' he added
By Anna Edwards
PUBLISHED: 14:17 GMT, 8 November 2013

A Royal Marine has been convicted of murder following the execution of a seriously injured Afghan insurgent in September 2011.  A court martial board found the commando, known only as Marine A, guilty of murdering the man in Helmand Province more than two years ago.  Two others, known as Marines B and C, were acquitted. Marine A will be sentenced on December 6.  The marines denied murdering the unknown captured Afghan national on or about September 15 2011, contrary to Section 42 of the Armed Forces Act 2006.  But a seven-strong board, consisting of officers and non-commissioned officers, convicted one of the defendants following a two-week trial at the court martial centre in Bulford, Wiltshire.

Marine A shot the Afghan national in the chest at close range with a 9mm pistol before quoting a phrase from Shakespeare as the man convulsed and died in front of him.  'There you are. Shuffle off this mortal coil, you c***. It's nothing you wouldn't do to us,' Marine A told the insurgent.  He then turned to comrades and said: 'Obviously this doesn't go anywhere, fellas. I just broke the Geneva Convention.'  The execution was filmed by a camera mounted on the helmet of Marine B.

Marines B and C were alleged to have been 'party to the killing' and 'encouraged and assisted' Marine A in committing the murder but they were cleared.  There were gasps from relatives in the public gallery as the verdicts were returned, with some holding each other for support.  Judge Blackett told Marine A: 'Marine A, this court has found you guilty of murder. The mandatory sentence prescribed by law is imprisonment for life.

'This court now has to determine the minimum term you will serve before you are eligible for release.  'To help us do that, I am going to order that a report be prepared. I am adjourning this case until a later date.  'In the meantime, I direct that you are to be taken into custody.'  Addressing the other two defendants, the judge added: 'Marine B and Marine C, you have been found not guilty of murder and you are now free to return to your normal place of duties.  'The issue of anonymity will be decided at a later date.'

It follows evidence of a shocking audio recording of what is claimed to be the moment a wounded Afghan fighter was shot by the Royal Marine.  A few seconds later he can be heard ordering his comrades: ‘Obviously this doesn’t go anywhere, fellas. I’ve just broken the Geneva Convention.’  In the recording of the incident one soldier says: 'I'll put one in his head if you want' before a single gun shot can be heard, followed by groans from the insurgent, an unknown Afghan national.  The murder happened after the insurgent had been badly hurt.  The insurgent, who was armed with an old AK47, ammunition and a grenade, had been seriously injured following an attack by an Apache helicopter, which fired 139 30mm anti-tank rounds at him.

Marines A, B and C - along with other members of the patrol - were instructed to carry out a 'battle damage assessment' of the area and discovered the man lying in a field. 
Footage from Marine B's camera showed the Afghan national on the ground, wearing a white dish-dash covered in blood, with his eyes wide open and rolled back.  Members of the patrol could be heard calling him a 'f****** prick', 'f****** c***' and 'bastard'. 

Marine A reported to superiors that the insurgent was still alive and - to avoid the watching helicopter and observation balloon - he was manhandled to the side of the field, under the cover of trees.  The commando is then overheard asking 'Anyone want to give first aid to this idiot?' before Marine B replies loudly 'No'.  Marine C, standing over the insurgent pointing a pistol at his head, is heard asking Marine A if he should shoot the man in the head, which is refused as 'that would be f****** obvious'.

Footage shows the injured man, whose top had been pulled up exposing his bloodied torso, suffering kicks from the servicemen before being flipped over from his back to front. 
As Marine B gives the pretence to the watching helicopter or balloon of administering first aid, he is heard to say 'For f***'s sake, I cannot believe I'm doing this'.  Marine C replies: 'Don't - just - don't - yeah, wait a minute, just pretend to do it until he's behind them trees.'

Two minutes later, Marine A shoots the insurgent at close range in the chest. During the trial, David Perry QC, prosecuting, told the court martial: 'It was not a killing in the heat and exercise of any armed conflict. The prosecution case is that it amounted to an execution, a field execution.  'An execution of a man who was entitled to be treated with dignity and respect and entitled to be treated as any British serviceman or servicewoman would be entitled to be treated in a similar situation.'

The insurgent's body was left where he died and was later taken by locals, who erected a memorial in its place. No post-mortem examination was conducted.  After returning to the command post, Marine A told members of the patrol 'I f***** up, lads' and nothing was said to correct the view formed by senior officers that the insurgent had died from his wounds.

But in September last year, the Royal Military Police recovered a video clip showing the Afghan national being roughly manhandled across the field and launched an investigation.
Marines A, B and C were arrested on suspicion of alleged war crimes in contravention of Section 1 of the Geneva Convention. All three insisted the insurgent died from wounds sustained in the Apache attack.  Investigators later recovered a further clip, showing Marine A shooting the man in the chest. Marine A then admitted he fired his gun out of anger but insisted the insurgent was already dead.

Marine A explained to the court martial why he fired: 'Stupid, lack of self-control, momentary lapse in my judgment.  I thought about it over the last year as we get towards these proceedings but I cannot give any other reason than to say that it was poor judgment and lack of self-control. I thought he was dead.'  But Marine A admitted that after the shot - when the insurgent 'suddenly became quite animated' - he began to question whether the man was dead.  He blamed 'foolish bravado' for quoting Shakespeare at the dying man and said it was something 'I am not proud of'.

Marine B said he was administering first aid to the insurgent when 'without warning' the Afghan was shot by Marine A - something he did 'not encourage'.  In the footage, Marine B can be overheard apparently suggesting a cover story to the killing, which was that the gun was fired as a 'warning shot'.  During the trial, he admitted members of the patrol lied during interviews to protect their comrade.  'We all protected him by telling lies,' Marine B said. 'In my opinion, he had shot an alive, injured insurgent.' Marine B said he had given the injured insurgent first aid, despite believing the man would die from his wounds anyway.

Meanwhile, Marine C told the court martial he walked away from the insurgent, judging the man was dead, before he heard a shot ring out.  'I wasn't there, you know, I wasn't any part of it. I wasn't asked if I wanted or if we should shoot. As far as I knew, when I walked off he was dead and there was a shot,' he insisted.  Marine C described his offer to shoot the man in the head and the heart as 'banter' and 'black humour'.  'It was just a spur of the moment comment, a throwaway comment to break the ice of the situation,' he said.

During the trial, it was revealed that Marine C kept a journal of his six-month deployment in Afghanistan, which gave a different account of the patrol's events.  In a diary entry believed to have been written the evening after the killing, Marine C wrote he was 'ready and waiting to pop him with a 9mm'.  He wrote: 'So there I was, pistol drawn, waiting for Marine A to get off the net so I could pop this little w***** and be done with it, when Marine A came back over, and thinned me out, to take up ARCS with the others. 'As I walked off ... Marine A popped him one himself! I felt mugged off, but job done; little f*** was dead at the end of the day.'

Marine C told the court martial that parts of the journal were accurate but wrote others off as 'the ramblings of a very scared and angry person'.  During the trial, the three marines were hidden from public view by large screens, due to a court order protecting their identity.  Pathologist Dr Nicholas Hunt told the court martial the insurgent was still alive when he was shot by Marine A.  'It depends on what organ it (the bullet) strikes but it can only have made matters worse and hastened death,' Dr Hunt said.

Brigadier Bill Dunham, Deputy Commandant General Royal Marines, said the murder was 'a truly shocking and appalling aberration'.  In a statement released by the MoD, he said: 'Today saw a Royal Marine found guilty of the murder of an unknown male.  'The Naval Service respects the verdict, which was reached in full accordance with UK law - to which all Service personnel are subject, and in the name of which many thousands of Royal Marines have fought the Taliban in Afghanistan since 2001.

'The Naval Service takes seriously its responsibilities to train its sailors and marines in the standards of conduct applicable to combat operations on land, at sea and in the air. It is a matter of profound regret in this isolated incident that one marine failed to apply his training and discharge his responsibilities. 'What we have heard over the last two weeks is not consistent with the ethos, values and standards of the Royal Marines. It was a truly shocking and appalling aberration. It should not have happened and it should never happen again.

'It is now for the Royal Marines to consider any impact from this case on the training given to our people as we seek to uphold the very highest standards that we constantly strive to instill and perpetuate. 'The Royal Marines deservedly have a worldwide reputation as one of the elite fighting forces. Our Commandos go through one of the toughest training programmes to deploy to some of the harshest environments in the world.

'I am as proud of our reputation and achievements as I have been at any time during my 34 years of service and there is no clearer demonstration of the Royal Marines ethos than the success and sacrifices made in Afghanistan under the most demanding physical and mental conditions.'
The court is also dealing with the question of whether to identify those involved.

Earlier, Judge Advocate General Jeff Blackett ruled that the names of the defendants and those of Marines D and E, against whom charges of murder were discontinued, should be identified publicly. The judge said: 'The principle of open justice is immutable and must only be restricted where either the administration of justice would be seriously affected without the grant of an order for anonymity or there would be a real and immediate risk to the personnel were anonymity not granted.

'This is not a case relating to the administration of justice and I am not satisfied that those who seek a continuance of the anonymity order have demonstrated that the fear that the marines' lives will be at risk is objectively well-founded.' However, counsel for the marines said they wished to appeal over the judge's ruling. The issue of whether the servicemen will be identified will be decided by the Court Martial Appeals Board, which is expected to hear the case before Marine A is sentenced.

Graphic video footage showing the shooting of the wounded Afghanistan prisoner will not be released because it could put the lives of British troops 'at risk', the judge ruled during the court martial.  Judge Advocate General Jeff Blackett said the 'shocking' footage would be a propaganda gift to extremists and endanger UK service personnel and civilians. Lawyers acting for various media outlets had asked that images of the shooting, which had already been screened in open court, should be made available publicly.

But the judge ruled the video clips so disturbing it could be used to 'incite attacks' against British troops and members of the public.  However, later he did allow the audio and certain still images of the footage to be released.  Film footage showing the blood-stained detainee being dragged across a field in Helmand Province and shot at close range with a 9mm pistol in September 2011 was recorded by a camera mounted on the helmet of Marine B. It was discovered by police investigating war crimes a year later.

The Ministry of Defence opposed the release of the footage. Arguing the video clips should not be released, senior Home Office counter-terrorism expert Paul Mott told Judge Blackett the images would go viral on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube within minutes.  He said: 'I've seen nothing that surpasses it in terms of radicalisation potential. It's exceptionally worrying, There's nothing I have seen that matches its emotional power. It is a gift in propaganda terms.

'I am confident that if made publicly available this footage would not only be used as propaganda material by terrorist organisations in order to radicalise others but would also be exploited by terrorist organisations to incite individuals to carry out terrorist acts.  'Releasing it would therefore present a real threat to life for members of the armed forces and the wider British public and for British interests overseas.'  Mr Mott cited several examples of where terrorists had used incidents, such as atrocities at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq or US Marines urinating on dead insurgents in Afghanistan, as propaganda.

Rejecting the media application, Judge Blackett's said: 'Releasing it for unrestricted public consumption would expose British service personnel to increased risk of harm unnecessarily.  'Mr Mott says that the risk is real and immediate and I accept that assessment. I am not prepared to ignore his very stark warning to put the lives of British service personnel at risk.'  Judge Blackett said that there was a 'very high risk' that the footage would be used as propaganda by terrorist groups in 'order to radicalise others and be exploited by terrorist organisations to incite individuals to carry out terrorist attacks'.

He went on: 'Once published it would be impossible to stop further distribution in defiance of any order I might make. Once the genie escaped from the bottle it would not be possible to control or put it back in,' the judge said.  'Mr Mott's assessment is that the release of this DVD will generate significant feelings of anger and revenge among certain people and will incite attacks on British personnel at home and abroad.  'I suspect that this would be in the form of increased insurgent activity in theatre or the deliberate targeting of off-duty service personnel overseas and in this country.

'Its release may be for proper journalistic purposes by those represented here but would also be used for sensationalist purposes by others and propaganda purposes by terrorist groups.  'More importantly its release will increase the threat of harm to British service personnel. I am not prepared to make an order which may lead to the injury or death of a single member of the British armed forces and in making this decision I have erred on the side of safety.'

The judge added: 'The principle of open justice is immutable but it must be subject to exceptions particularly when dealing with threats posed by terrorist organisations which repeatedly attempt to radicalise people whom they can incite to commit atrocities.'  Clare Kissin, representing the media organisations, said there was no evidence releasing the footage would pose a 'real and immediate risk to life'. 'No real and immediate threat has been shown to exist in respect of other marines and or the UK public. 'Although the footage may be shocking to watch, the detail of it has already been allowed to be shown in open court and widely reported without Article 2 concerns arising,' she said.

BLOODSHED ON THE 'HEARTS AND MINDS TOUR'

The murder happened five months into an arduous six-month tour of Helmand province in 2011 with Marines A, B and C among a group of marines based at a command post.  Their mission was to bring stability and security to Helmand - winning the 'hearts and minds' of the local people.  Another key task was to keep the campaign of transition on track so that the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) would be in a position to take on responsibility for security in Afghanistan from next year.

Against this backdrop, the threat posed by insurgents determined to rid Afghanistan of ISAF forces continued as the annual 'fighting season' began that summer. Every day patrols would discover IEDs or come under small arms fire.  The marines suffered the loss of seven of its members with more than 40 injured - many suffering life-changing injuries.

For Marines A, B and C and colleagues, the tour saw the deaths of their company commander and another marine, who died together in a massive IED blast.  Marine A said those deaths had taken a toll on some of the troops, especially as body parts from that incident had been hung from trees.  'It's not a nice thing for the lads. Close friends they have lived with have been killed and parts of their bodies are displayed as a kind of trophy for the world to see,' he told the court martial.

The troops were expected to treat injured insurgents with the dignity and respect they would afford any other British service personnel.  Marine B said he was under attack 'every single day' and there had been 10 casualties in just one 24-hour period.  He said: 'My friend's legs had been put in a tree, I picked my mate's brains up. I have no good memories of that tour.

'My way of coping with that was to put it away in a box at the back of my head and essentially as best as I could delete it from memory.'  Marine C said the deaths of his troop commander and the serious injuries suffered by two others in the bomb blast was 'pretty devastating'.  'It was a serious loss to both our command post, the troop and the company - four people that we were all good friends with, absolutely devastating really,' he said.

'Obviously the gravity of the situation had further instilled the reality - things could very easily spiral out of control.  'But there was a definite feeling that we wanted to take the fight to the enemy and stop further incidents like this happening.'  In all, more than 6,500 servicemen and women from all three branches of the armed services deployed in 2011.

It total they carried out 41,000 patrols, conducted 90 partnered operations with the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and discovered seven and a half tonnes of home-made explosive - enough to make eight months' worth of IEDs.  In addition roads were constructed and eight new health clinics and 40 schools built.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492816/Royal-Marine-convicted-murder-Taliban-insurgent-shot-chest-close-range--comrades-CLEARED.html#ixzz2k4m7fIZD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Father who lost limbs in Afghanistan teaches son to stay positive

An ex-soldier who lost three limbs after stepping on a bomb in Afghanistan is using his story to teach his child how to stay positive

With his one good arm, Andy Reid picks up the son he feared he would never have. “Come here, Will,” he says, lifting the one-year-old to his lap.

“Don’t bang yourself on my legs. They’re not all soft and fleshy, are they? No.”

It’s a touching sight: the small boy and the big, bluff ex-soldier, his father, who has no right arm and two metal legs.

“I’ve got to keep going, keep positive,” says the former corporal, who lost three limbs to a landmine in Afghanistan. “It’s not all about me now. What kind of life can William have if his dad is moping about all the time, feeling sorry for himself?”

A few nights ago, when his mind was racing, he wrote a letter to his son.

It is an attempt to explain what happened, in terms the boy will soon understand.

“Daddy went on a patrol with his Army friends to see if any bad men were about,” the letter says. “He stepped on a bomb hidden in the ground. There was a big bang and lots of dust and dirt went up in the air.”

The letter urges his son not to give in to anger about the way things are, and tells how “Mummy loved Daddy so much” she had helped him get better. It is a moving read, which Mr Reid has allowed us to publish in full.

Andy Reid of St Helens, Merseyside, who was injured when serving with the Army in Afghanistan in 2009. He is pictured with his wife Claire, and son William. Photo: LORNE CAMPBELL/GUZELIAN

When William goes off to play, he takes up the story again, in an adult version.

“The next thing I was aware of was a big dust cloud all around me. I was lying on my back and I couldn’t hear anything. It was a strange feeling. I knew that something violent had happened to me, but there was no pain.”

As the dust settled, he saw the damage. “I looked down and I couldn’t see my legs. I looked to my left hand and the index finger was hanging off, so I made a fist and kept hold of that. I looked to the right and saw that my hand was twisted up behind my back.” L/Cpl Jamie Hastie had been wounded by the blast, but still managed to crawl over to help him.

“He gave me morphine and applied a tourniquet to what was left of my arm, to stop the bleeding,” says Mr Reid. “I really felt the pain of it being tightened. I’m not sure why I felt that, and not much else.”

Despite being dazed, he had one urgent, intimate question for his friend.

“I remember saying, 'Are the family jewels all right?’ He was like, 'Yep, everything’s all right down there, don’t worry about that. We’re going to get you out of here’.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10438266/Father-who-lost-limbs-in-Afghanistan-teaches-son-to-stay-positive.html

An enemy who wets himself before shooting you is STILL an enemy.

Daily Mail

Pictured with the man who shot him dead moments later: RAF policeman grins alongside rogue Afghan policeman who opened fire on him and comrade

An unwitting British soldier who posed for a photograph with a rogue Afghan policeman was shot dead by him seconds later.

Corporal Brent McCarthy, 25, is pictured with a member of the Afghan Uniformed Police just moments before the shooting.

After the snap was taken the gunman and another accomplice turned their weapons on the RAF policeman.

His comrade Lance Corporal Lee Davies, 27, of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, who can be seen sitting grinning in the background of the photo, was also shot dead.

The pair were unlawfully killed while on active service, a coroner has ruled.
LCpl Davies, from Barry, South Wales, had remarked that the Afghan pictured had 'wet himself' - which may have indicated what was about to happen

A military inquest heard the pair both died of 'unsurvivable injuries' after being shot by close range gunshots.

Both soldiers were part of an eight-man team who had gone to the Afghan police base in the Lashkar Gah district of Helmand province on May 12.

The patrol had gone there so British officers could meet local police officials with RAF policeman Cpl McCarthy acting as a specialist adviser.

Oxfordshire Coroners Court was told the men had been engaging in 'banter and general chit chat' with what they thought were two Afghan Uniformed Police officers.

article-2487867-1934D4E800000578-299_634x487.jpg

LCpl Davies, from Barry, South Wales, had remarked that the Afghan pictured had 'wet himself' and this may have been a sign as to what was about to happen, the inquest heard.

The Afghan national pictured was shot dead by a British guardsman as he tried to flee the scene.

Home Office pathologist Dr Russell Delaney said despite efforts to resuscitate the pair 'there was nothing colleagues, combat medics or medical staff could have done.'

Benjamin Bardsley, the men’s commander at the time, told the inquest at Oxfordshire Coroners Court it was his belief the two Afghans, dressed in police uniforms, had staged an 'opportunistic' attack on his men.

He described both Cpl McCarthy, an RAF policeman, and L/Cpl Davies, of 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, as 'phenomenal soldiers' fully capable of doing the job.

Seconds after the snap was taken the gunman and another accomplice turned their weapons on RAF man Cpl Brent McCarthy

'I don’t know why they were attacked - it may have been the Afghans had been turned by the Taliban in the previous weeks,' he added.

'I am sure it was nothing the corporals did. I think it was just wrong time, wrong place with these two Afghans set on what they did.'

He added at the time, the risk in the Helmand theatre of an insider attack - known in the British Army as a green on blue incident, was 'one out of ten'.

The Army unit was in the area acting as a police advisory team helping train the Afghan police, but had specifically visited the base that day to ask the local commander about a tip-off that one of his colleagues was working with the Taliban.

Corporal Brent McCarthy was part of an eight-man team who had gone to the Afghan police base in the Lashkar Gah district of Helmand province on May 12

Mr Bardsley said there had been confusion on the day, as his patrol arrived in the police compound, as to which of his men was acting as the guardian angel, where one soldier remains armed and wearing full battledress and helmet keeping a watchful eye on the Afghans.

Yesterday, the inquest heard from the soldiers’ comrades Guardsman Joshua Foley, of 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, and Cpl Jo Price who had believed the duty was done on a simple rotation system, with Guardsman Foley stating at one point he had been acting in the role.

But their sergeant, Robert Heath told the Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter he had specifically tasked L/Cpl Davies with the job.

Mr Bardsley had previously said in a written statement to Army investigators he thought Cpl McCarthy was acting guardian, however when asked about the discrepancy with Sgt Heath’s account he replied: 'I’ve got it wrong, clearly.'

He added the role was never one he would have allocated to any soldier lower than lance corporal rank.

Later, asked by Robert Gregory, counsel for the Davies family, about whether L/Cpl Davies or Cpl McCarthy had been acting in the guardian role on that day Mr Bardsley said he would have expected one or the other to have been armed, and wearing their helmet.

Yesterday, Guardsman Foley said he recalled when he left L/Cpl Davies and Cpl McCarthy to take up position in the guard tower their weapons were lying 'on the concrete slab next to them' but within arm’s reach.

The inquest was also shown photographs taken on Cpl McCarthy’s camera of the two suspected Afghan killers posing for pictures with the troops - which showed both the soldiers had got their helmets off.

In another image Cpl McCarthy was pictured side by side with one of the Afghans, each holding the other’s weapons.

Guardsman Foley recounted how the British had tried to strike up 'banter' with the pair although they did not seem to understand what the troops were saying.

Later L/Cpl Davies had pointed out one of the two Afghans had 'a wet patch' between his legs, said the guardsman.

'He (L/Cpl Davies) said "look, he’s p***** himself, he’s scared of you",' added Guardsman Foley.

Major Greg Sangster, who was responsible for co-ordinating the training Cpl McCarthy received to make him ready for his job advising the Afghan police, said he had been trained to a high standard and put him 'in the top third' of more than 100 specialist Armed Forces police who had been on his course.

Recording his verdicts, Darren Salter, coroner for Oxfordshire, said both men had, in the words of their former commander, performed 'phenomenally' on operations.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487867/RAF-policeman-grins-alongside-rogue-Afghan-policeman-opened-comrade-moments-later.html#ixzz2kDBzU8NL

'Spy in bag' Gareth Williams did not get into holdall alone, say experts

Gareth Williams, the MI6 spy, was not alone when he was locked in a holdall in the bath of his Pimlico flat, claim experts who contradict police conclusions

The codebreaker could not have got into the bag and locked it from the inside alone, witnesses who worked closely with the investigation have claimed after attempting the task more than 400 times. No one has ever come forward who has been able to recreate the scene.

When Mr Williams' naked, decomposing body was found in the bath of his flat in Pimlico, London, in August 2010, the handles of the holdall had been fastened with Velcro, there was no sign of him struggling to escape, and the eyelets on the locks had been perfectly aligned.

No finger, foot, palm prints or DNA belonging to Mr Williams was found on the rim of the bath, padlock or zipper and he was not wearing any gloves.

Despite the mysterious circumstances surrounding his death and an inquest finding that he had been unlawfully killed, the police have now concluded that Mr Williams most likely got into the bag by himself and died after failing to get out again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10455268/Spy-in-bag-Gareth-Williams-did-not-get-into-holdall-alone-say-experts.html

Exposed: The army black ops squad ordered to murder IRA's top 'players'

By Simon Cursey

PUBLISHED: 22:10 GMT, 16 November 2013 | UPDATED: 00:07 GMT, 17 November 2013

The controversy has raged for decades: did the Army operate a covert shoot-to-kill policy during the Troubles, using shadowy military units? Here, for the first time, a former member of the mysterious Military Reaction Force has revealed the chilling extent of its activities – including the state-sponsored killing of at least 20 suspected terrorists. Simon Cursey – not his real name – was a member from 1972 to 1974 and, in a compelling new book, confirms that the MRF was shockingly real... and lethal.

The vehicle check came back crackling over the air. A positive stolen car. I looked at John, we both knew that we probably had an Active Service Unit of the IRA in front of us. Two men – ‘players’ in our parlance – in an old Cortina.

Kev, in the back seat, cocked his SMG 9mm Sterling sub-machine gun, while my hand was under my thigh gripping my 9mm Browning pistol – my ‘nine-millie’.

We had no backup. Normally we’d follow for as long as we could and await instructions. Today we didn’t have that luxury. All we could do was blend in with the Belfast traffic and hope our target would stay away from hard-core Republican areas...

Full story and photos here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508511/Exposed-The-army-black-ops-squad-ordered-murder-IRAs-players.html#ixzz2kup2Q3aP

jollyjacktar said:
Exposed: The army black ops squad ordered to murder IRA's top 'players'

By Simon Cursey

PUBLISHED: 22:10 GMT, 16 November 2013 | UPDATED: 00:07 GMT, 17 November 2013

The controversy has raged for decades: did the Army operate a covert shoot-to-kill policy during the Troubles, using shadowy military units? Here, for the first time, a former member of the mysterious Military Reaction Force has revealed the chilling extent of its activities – including the state-sponsored killing of at least 20 suspected terrorists. Simon Cursey – not his real name – was a member from 1972 to 1974 and, in a compelling new book, confirms that the MRF was shockingly real... and lethal.

The vehicle check came back crackling over the air. A positive stolen car. I looked at John, we both knew that we probably had an Active Service Unit of the IRA in front of us. Two men – ‘players’ in our parlance – in an old Cortina.

Kev, in the back seat, cocked his SMG 9mm Sterling sub-machine gun, while my hand was under my thigh gripping my 9mm Browning pistol – my ‘nine-millie’.

We had no backup. Normally we’d follow for as long as we could and await instructions. Today we didn’t have that luxury. All we could do was blend in with the Belfast traffic and hope our target would stay away from hard-core Republican areas...

Full story and photos here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508511/Exposed-The-army-black-ops-squad-ordered-murder-IRAs-players.html#ixzz2kup2Q3aP

The Sterling and Browning were standard issue in the 'car bag', signed out by everyone. I wonder why an 'elite' team would settle for that? Hmmm....

Nice of him to leave a neat desk...

Senior army officer shot himself after 'unreasonable demands' amid cuts

Lieutenant Colonel Robert Shaw was "considerate to the last" and left his office in an immaculate state after deciding to take his life

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10459925/Senior-army-officer-shot-himself-after-unreasonable-demands-amid-cuts.html

See what happens when Paras try to go into the private sector?

Six British former soldiers held in Indian jail after authorities claim their ship was carrying huge cache of illegal weapons

The MV Seaman Guard Ohio was detained on 12 October
Indian authorities say vessel entered Indian waters with weapons on board
Ship is operated US firm specialising in maritime security and training

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511657/Six-British-soldiers-held-Indian-jail-authorities-claim-ship-carrying-huge-cache-illegal-weapons.html#ixzz2lO21TIso

Charge them retroactively for missing Adams and his cronies...  :nod:

BBC Panorama: Former soldiers admit killing unarmed civilians

BBC One's Panorama programme interviews a former soldier who admits to firing on unarmed IRA suspects during the troubles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10464861/BBC-Panorama-Former-soldiers-admit-killing-unarmed-civilians.html

Why doesn't Panorama investigate the IRA's secret hit squads?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/concoughlin/100246942/why-doesnt-panorama-investigate-the-iras-secret-hit-squads/

Female RAF recruits get £100,000 compensation each... because they were made to march like men

Women claimed injuries were caused by parading alongside male colleagues
    They have been awarded compensation after a five-year legal battle
    The women received more than soldiers who suffered wounds in combat
By Mark Nichol, 23 November 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2512412/Female-RAF-recruits-100-000-compensation--march-like-men.html?ICO=most_read_module

Three female RAF recruits have each been awarded £100,000 by the Ministry of Defence after suffering injuries caused by marching in step with their male colleagues.

The women claimed that parading alongside taller male recruits caused them to over-stride, a repetitive motion which, when repeated over several weeks, led them to develop spinal and pelvic injuries.

Now, after a five-year bitter legal battle, which saw the MoD accuse the women of exaggerating their symptoms, they have been awarded more compensation than soldiers who suffered serious gunshot wounds in Afghanistan.

According to RAF official policy, female recruits should not be expected to extend the length of their strides beyond 27in. They should also be placed at the front of any mixed squad to dictate the pace.

But while undergoing basic training at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire, the claimants were forced to extend their strides to 30in – the standard stride length for men on parades and marches.

Despite the fact that the women – aged 17, 22 and 23 at the time – were injured in the first nine weeks of their RAF training, they have been compensated for nine years of lost earnings and pension perks.

All have recovered and have successful careers outside the military.

The payouts come as the Armed Forces’ compensation bill for 2012/13 topped £108.9million – up £21million on the previous financial year.
more on link

GAP said:
Female RAF recruits get £100,000 compensation each... because they were made to march like men

Shouldn't this be filed under the "WTF News"?

WTF?

Is the UK economy so well off that it can afford such nonsense?

It must be because this is the biggest bunch of p.c bullshit I've seen in a longtime.  Typical of the chair force... Nothing but civie's in uniform!

I assume that additional foot injuries were sustained due to wearing the traditional RAF footwear: fuzzy bunny slippers  ;D

Back