• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

X_para76 said:
It must be because this is the biggest bunch of p.c bullshit I've seen in a longtime.  Typical of the chair force... Nothing but civie's in uniform!

Question for you:

Have you ever been on a run and been called a slug because you're not a runner? Or been injured because the 6'5 platoon commander doesn't know how to pace the troops properly?
From what I gather there were rules in place to prevent this, but the rules were ignored.

And the RCAF pers I know are quite professional. Wind it in.

George Wallace said:
Jim

This is a UK article on the RAF.
Understood, but this sort of them and us attitude sometimes irritates me.

My apologies for stepping on toes.

The issue is not with the RAF and how they have applied (or not) rules, it's actually more about how it's another example of an increasingly out-of-touch, dare I say, moronic, judiciary in the UK, who hand down judgements that defy common sense.

Aside from the judgement, could the distance of the stride actually be an issue?

Based on this, could we see something similiar here? There may actually be some parts of the mechanics that could cause this, much like shin splints on route marches....dunno.....

Speaking of the RAF...

If they get another C17, this will bring their total to 9 C17s.

Defense News

UK Shows Interest in Buying Another C-17

DUBAI — Britain has added its name to the list of countries vying to get their hands on the last of the Boeing C-17 Globemaster IIIs being produced in Long Beach, Calif., ahead of its closure, according to Defence Ministry sources.

The case for buying what would be the Royal Air Force’s ninth C-17 are set to be discussed by UK defense acquisition approval chiefs in the next few days, they said.

The UK has acquired the first eight in a piecemeal fashion since the first four aircraft became operational in 2001 under a lease arrangement.

The upcoming closure of the C-17 assembly line has forced the UK’s hand on deciding whether to buy, as a number of nations are scrambling to purchase machines as white tails and not yet assigned to customers.

Until now, most of the nations with extra C-17s on their shopping list were reckoned to be in the Arabian Gulf region.

A purchase by the British would bring the Royal Air Force close to the 10 C-17s it originally said it needed for its airlift requirements.

(...) 

Jim Seggie said:
Question for you:

Have you ever been on a run and been called a slug because you're not a runner? Or been injured because the 6'5 platoon commander doesn't know how to pace the troops properly?
From what I gather there were rules in place to prevent this, but the rules were ignored.

And the RCAF pers I know are quite professional. Wind it in.

Ya your right there Jim each of them did deserve a £100k in compensation for the hardship they underwent. Maybe next time you should pay attention to the thread "Brit military current events" before gobbling off about the Rcaf and telling people to "wind it in".

GAP said:
Aside from the judgement, could the distance of the stride actually be an issue?

Based on this, could we see something similiar here? There may actually be some parts of the mechanics that could cause this, much like shin splints on route marches....dunno.....

Makes me wonder - they have a standard 27" pace for females and 30" for males...why don't they have the 27" for males that are below average male height then?  I was in basic with a guy that wasn't much taller than his rucksack, yet he had to keep up with the same standard pace as guys my height and taller (6'2").  Hell, one of the girls in my platoon was 6'4".

As for tall guys/gals keeping pace with munchkins and oompa loompas, I used to get shin problems from short stepping all the time - only relief I got was actually volunteering to take traffic control for marches so I could go at my own pace and jog periodically to stretch out.  Don't think they're going to solve the pace length thing anytime soon.  As Jim pointed out, we'd often have people not properly pacing up front - either the march/run leader being a speed demon or overstriding or the marker trying to play control freak and slow the pace down - no real happy medium.

I'll just keep my personal opinion to myself about the veracity of the claims in question without actually reading the case file, since my initial visceral response is pretty negative actually...would be interesting to see the enrollment medicals of each of those recruits.

MM

Hold your fire! Action Man didn't make me a warmonger

As researchers study whether toys such as Action Man shape children's attitudes to conflict, Cole Moreton leaps to the defence of the eagle-eyed plastic hero

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10460006/Hold-your-fire-Action-Man-didnt-make-me-a-warmonger.html

'Lawrence of Helmand' marine awarded Afghan gallantry medal

A Royal Marine has received a Conspicuous Gallantry Cross for his work living and fighting alongside a band of Afghan police militiamen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10481166/Lawrence-of-Helmand-marine-awarded-Afghan-gallantry-medal.html

Fucking cabbage heads! If he was from the para' he'd be too busy winning the V.C to bother with that! LOL!

Iraqis win £800,000 after 'SAS beat them' in hunt for Red Caps' killers as dozens in Special Forces unit are under investigation
Nine Iraqi police officers have been awarded £800,000 in compensation
Claim the SAS beat them with rifles at Majar al-Kabir police station in Iraq

Up to 40 soldiers are under investigation for alleged brutality
Secret payout was arranged by Ministry of Defence and Iraqis' solicitors

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2516087/Iraqis-win-800-000-SAS-beat-hunt-Red-Caps-killers.html#ixzz2mFSvCnwx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IRA claims responsibility for Cork punishment shooting

Saturday, June 15, 2013

By Sean O’Riordan

The Real IRA has claimed responsibility for the “punishment shooting” of a 33-year-old old man in Cork City after claiming he was involved in “unrepublican conduct”.

The statement was issued on “behalf of the Cork Brigade of the [Real] IRA” following the attack which they say took place at “The Long Lane”, which is in the Dublin Hill/Ballyvolane area.

A senior garda confirmed that a man presented with an injury at Cork University Hospital at about 11pm last Thursday and they were satisfied he had been “the victim of a punishment-style shooting”.

His injuries were not described as not life-threatening.

The Cork 32 County Sovereignty Movement issued a statement after the shooting saying it had “been contacted anonymously by the (Real) IRA using a recognised codeword”.

The statement said the victim has served time in Portlaoise prison for IRA membership, but was subsequently acquitted.

After his release he moved to Dublin, but in recent times he has returned to live in his native Cork.

They said “he was shot in the leg for his unrepublican conduct”.

Meanwhile, in an unrelated incident, gardaí are searching for four masked men who burst into a house in North Cork, tied up the occupants and beat them.

Gardaí believe the attackers used sledgehammers to break down the door of the house at Carrigane, 1km south of Kilbehenny, at around 11pm last Thursday.

A husband, his wife, and a female relative, who are all in their 50s, were attacked and had to receive hospital treatment.

It is believed that the man may also have been hit by fragments of glass after a shot was fired through a window.

The raiders are understood to have escaped with a small amount of money.

Gardaí are examining CCTV and carrying out house-to-house inquiries in the area.

Anybody with information is asked to contact Mitchelstown Garda Station at (025) 84833.

In another, unconnected incident, gardaí in Gurranabraher are investigating who fired shots through the bedroom window of a house at Limewood Grove, near Onslow Gardens.

Three people were in the house, apparently watching television in a downstairs sitting room, and did not hear the shots fired.

It is believed that the gunman struck some time between 1.30am and 5.30am yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ira-claims-responsibility-for-cork-punishment-shooting-234197.html

I know the old animosities are still just under the surface, but what would the militant factions of the Republican movement stand to gain?

cupper said:
I know the old animosities are still just under the surface, but what would the militant factions of the Republican movement stand to gain?

Ireland, of course.

Soldier arrested after 'nail bomb' discovery

A 19-year-old serviceman, named locally as Ryan McGee, of 5 Rifles, has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after police allegedly found an explosive device at his family's home in Eccles, Greater Manchester

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10495846/Soldier-arrested-after-nail-bomb-discovery.html

Those touchy feely Parachute Regiment guys doing their bit for the Environment

Thursday 5 December 2013

Elephant Appeal: Rangers call in the paras

Two heavily armed poachers walk watchfully down a forest track. A barrage of gunfire comes from the bushes to their left. The poachers return fire, but are outgunned and outnumbered, and fall spinning on to the soft mud.

Kenyan rangers warily emerge from their hiding place in the undergrowth to check the bodies, remove the rifles and pat them down for useful intelligence. A British paratrooper strolls up to congratulate them on a “successful ambush”, which was mocked-up for this training exercise.

For the first time in many years, the British Army is playing a pivotal role in training under-equipped Kenyan rangers to fight the increasingly militarised poachers who have devastated the country’s elephant and rhino populations.

With conservationists warning that Kenya’s elephants could be virtually wiped out within a decade, anti-poaching efforts are seen as more critical than ever. But the rangers, underpaid and inferior in both numbers and weaponry, have to date had limited success in deterring poachers lured by the vast financial rewards that outweigh the risks of being caught or even killed.

“These are brave, brave men,” Captain Ben Neary, who led this first training course, said of the rangers. “We [the Army] have the luxury of operating in big groups. These guys do four-man patrols for up to six hours with very little support.”

Over three days at the British Army base 200km north of Nairobi, paratroopers more used to facing down insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan than poachers, drilled 50 rangers from the Kenya Wildlife Service and Kenya Forest Service in patrolling, snap ambushes and first aid.

Although the two “poachers” were “shot dead” in the final exercise, Captain Neary insisted that the emphasis is on arrest and disruption of poaching activities. Nevertheless, sometimes rangers have no choice but to shoot, he said, and the paratroopers have “taken training right up to the point where they are using lethal force pre-emptively.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/elephant-appeal-rangers-call-in-the-paras-8986643.html

Nothing touchy feely about it. Thats a serious problem and I am glad to see the Paras training and assisting the Kenyan park rangers.

ArmyRick said:
Nothing touchy feely about it. Thats a serious problem and I am glad to see the Paras training and assisting the Kenyan park rangers.

Seen.

I keep forgetting to attach this to some of my posts:  :sarcasm:

Back