• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Killer Marine told he 'increased risk of revenge attacks' and sentenced to minimum 10 years

Royal Marine filmed executing injured Taliban insurgent in cold blood is given ten year minimum jail sentence, as judge tells him: "You have betrayed all British service personnel"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10500133/Killer-Marine-told-he-increased-risk-of-revenge-attacks-and-sentenced-to-minimum-10-years.html

daftandbarmy said:
Killer Marine told he 'increased risk of revenge attacks' and sentenced to minimum 10 years

Royal Marine filmed executing injured Taliban insurgent in cold blood is given ten year minimum jail sentence, as judge tells him: "You have betrayed all British service personnel"

That's a bit OTT don't ya think?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10500133/Killer-Marine-told-he-increased-risk-of-revenge-attacks-and-sentenced-to-minimum-10-years.html

Group of soldiers 'mutinied over hungover bosses', court martial hears

The group of 16 soldiers who felt they were being "led by muppets" staged a mutiny by sitting down on parade and refusing to get up, a court martial hears

A group of soldiers who were angry at their bosses for turning up to a march hungover protested by sitting down during a disciplinary parade, a court martial heard.

Members of the 1st Battalion Yorks Regiment were frustrated with alleged "mismanagement" by their new Captain and Colour Sergeant.

Tensions flared when their boss – named only as Captain Stanton – and his second in command Sergeant Scott Dyson got drunk before a key training march in Wales in winter 2012, it was said.

The accused men were furious when they completed a 16-mile march in full kit across the Brecon Beacons to find the pair sleeping off their hangovers instead of ceremoniously welcoming their soldiers across the finishing line.

The platoon – who had excelled during an elite reconnaissance tour in Afghanistan – apparently got "too big for their boots" when they were posted back to Kenya for more training, the Military Court Centre at Bulford, Wiltshire, heard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10505987/Group-of-soldiers-mutinied-over-hungover-bosses-court-martial-hears.html

Why don't we make war films that celebrate British courage any more?

Screenwriter claims producers won't glorify UK soldiers fighting in modern conflicts because it's too politically sensitive

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522278/Why-dont-make-war-films-celebrate-British-courage-more.html#ixzz2nEOErjOx

daftandbarmy said:

The group of 16 soldiers who felt they were being "led by muppets" staged a mutiny by sitting down on parade and refusing to get up, a court martial hears

A group of soldiers who were angry at their bosses for turning up to a march hungover protested by sitting down during a disciplinary parade, a court martial heard.

Members of the 1st Battalion Yorks Regiment were frustrated with alleged "mismanagement" by their new Captain and Colour Sergeant.

Tensions flared when their boss – named only as Captain Stanton – and his second in command Sergeant Scott Dyson got drunk before a key training march in Wales in winter 2012, it was said.

The accused men were furious when they completed a 16-mile march in full kit across the Brecon Beacons to find the pair sleeping off their hangovers instead of ceremoniously welcoming their soldiers across the finishing line.

The platoon – who had excelled during an elite reconnaissance tour in Afghanistan – apparently got "too big for their boots" when they were posted back to Kenya for more training, the Military Court Centre at Bulford, Wiltshire, heard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10505987/Group-of-soldiers-mutinied-over-hungover-bosses-court-martial-hears.html
While I may sympathise with the soldiers, such an act is unacceptable and mutinous behaviour must be dealt with swiftly.  I have a feeling some of where this is coming from is the frustration within the British military of what has been happening with the cuts etc.  I do however hope that the Captain and Colour Sergeant had some reprecussions come at them from their actions.

daftandbarmy said:

T.

God forbid we encourage excellence, even worse to expect it from the leaders of those people.

Colin P said:
God forbid we encourage excellence, even worse to expect it from the leaders of those people.

It's important to be able to drink at least 10 pints when you're out on the razzle with the boss

Soldier dies from blood clot after drinking 10 pints of lager

Inquest hears Corporal of Horse Paul Faiers had been out drinking with a senior officer and was so dehydrated he died from a blood clot in his brain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10516323/Soldier-dies-from-blood-clot-after-drinking-10-pints-of-lager.html

This is a fantastic idea:

Military heroes honoured at the Millies

The Sun's Military Awards paid tribute to the excellence and courage of Armed Forces personnel at a ceremony held in Greenwich last night.

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were guests of honour at the sixth annual Sun Military Awards, known as ‘The Millies’, which were held at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich and billed as ‘A Night of Heroes’.

They were joined by Prime Minister David Cameron and wife Samantha, defence ministers, senior military, government and political figures and stars from entertainment and sport to pay tribute to exceptional individuals in one of the most moving TV events of the year.

In 8 categories, the awards honoured the bravery and excellence of the men and women serving at home and overseas. Also celebrated were members of the public who in various ways work tirelessly to support military personnel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/military-heroes-honoured-at-the-millies

Canadian.Trucker said:
While I may sympathise with the soldiers, such an act is unacceptable and mutinous behaviour must be dealt with swiftly.  I have a feeling some of where this is coming from is the frustration within the British military of what has been happening with the cuts etc.  I do however hope that the Captain and Colour Sergeant had some reprecussions come at them from their actions.

Mutiny may not have been the best COA, however something had to be done (given the information provided). I don't know what's in place at that point, perhaps an ombudsman? Because reality is I bet there's few men willing to follow that poor of leadership to war. Whoever instilled it into his subordinates to mutiny has more leadership potential than 2 "leaders" who couldn't even motivate their men to stand up. And here's a guy who had courage maybe motivated by defiance knowing there would be consequences and his subordinates followed him in that. And a lot of military leadership is leading/motivating people to do things that may have severe consequences (loss of life and limb). I believe this has to be built off of trust and respect. Your subordinates have to trust that you're balancing their interests and the missions goals. And that out of the group of them you're the best suited leader for the job/mission. This is done through mutual respect for eachother. And I would like to believe that the person who started this mutiny was motivated by looking out for his subordinates best interests (getting rid of crappy leadership and hopefully replacing them with men capable of that responsibility). But he could have been motivated by more petty reasons...

Something I'm assuming we've all seen is the scene in Band of Brothers when they all sign a piece of paper saying they won't follow that friends actor into battle. Because he was not capable or suited for the position. That mutiny made the unit more effective and put more capable leadership in charge. Also if I had been a pte in that unit I would have had an immense amount of trust and respect for then men who signed that piece of paper.

Some people lean towards the mission being more important than the man. Where as I lean towards what good is the mission without the man?

But if steps were put in place to get rid of these useless men would we risk breaking down the entire machine?

This is just to reveal the other side of the coin.

UnwiseCritic said:
Mutiny may not have been the best COA, however something had to be done (given the information provided). I don't know what's in place at that point, perhaps an ombudsman? Because reality is I bet there's few men willing to follow that poor of leadership to war. Whoever instilled it into his subordinates to mutiny has more leadership potential than 2 "leaders" who couldn't even motivate their men to stand up. And here's a guy who had courage maybe motivated by defiance knowing there would be consequences and his subordinates followed him in that. And a lot of military leadership is leading/motivating people to do things that may have severe consequences (loss of life and limb). I believe this has to be built off of trust and respect. Your subordinates have to trust that you're balancing their interests and the missions goals. And that out of the group of them you're the best suited leader for the job/mission. This is done through mutual respect for eachother. And I would like to believe that the person who started this mutiny was motivated by looking out for his subordinates best interests (getting rid of crappy leadership and hopefully replacing them with men capable of that responsibility). But he could have been motivated by more petty reasons...

Something I'm assuming we've all seen is the scene in Band of Brothers when they all sign a piece of paper saying they won't follow that friends actor into battle. Because he was not capable or suited for the position. That mutiny made the unit more effective and put more capable leadership in charge. Also if I had been a pte in that unit I would have had an immense amount of trust and respect for then men who signed that piece of paper.

Some people lean towards the mission being more important than the man. Where as I lean towards what good is the mission without the man?

But if steps were put in place to get rid of these useless men would we risk breaking down the entire machine?

This is just to reveal the other side of the coin.

Serve to Lead? I don't think I saw much of that in this situation:

“Serve to lead”
is, of course, a paradox, but it is a paradox which should be understood by every
officer cadet after each has completed the first command task on Barossa (a local training area). If
cadets have not understood the meaning of the paradox, they have no business
aspiring to be officers in the British Army.

http://www.mkbartlett.co.uk/data/further/0311MOIFR01.pdf

I wonder if he'd resign?

Defence cuts making our military a 'hollow force', says head of the Armed Forces: General says Britain could have too much state-of-the-art equipment and no troops to use it

•Chief of Defence Staff said the military is too focussed on hi-tech equipment
•He also warned against the armed forces becoming overly cautious

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526193/Defence-cuts-making-military-hollow-force-says-head-Armed-Forces-General-says-Britain-state-art-equipment-no-troops-use-it.html

daftandbarmy said:
I wonder if he'd resign?

Defence cuts making our military a 'hollow force', says head of the Armed Forces: General says Britain could have too much state-of-the-art equipment and no troops to use it

•Chief of Defence Staff said the military is too focussed on hi-tech equipment
•He also warned against the armed forces becoming overly cautious

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526193/Defence-cuts-making-military-hollow-force-says-head-Armed-Forces-General-says-Britain-state-art-equipment-no-troops-use-it.html

Could be we have similar issues here.....shiny stuff!!!

This is my Christmas present this year  :nod:

IRA terrorist sniper McGinn found dead

An IRA sniper convicted of killing the last British soldier to die before the Good Friday peace agreement has been found dead.

Bernard McGinn, aged in his 50s, was a member of a notorious hit squad which targeted members of the security forces during the later years of the 30-year conflict.

His body was discovered today at a house in Monaghan Town in the Republic.

Lance Bombardier Stephen Restorick was murdered in South Armagh in February 1997. He had been talking and smiling to a Catholic woman when he was gunned down.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/hit-squad-member-mcginn-found-dead-29858814.html

daftandbarmy said:
This is my Christmas present this year  :nod:

IRA terrorist sniper McGinn found dead

An IRA sniper convicted of killing the last British soldier to die before the Good Friday peace agreement has been found dead.

Bernard McGinn, aged in his 50s, was a member of a notorious hit squad which targeted members of the security forces during the later years of the 30-year conflict.

His body was discovered today at a house in Monaghan Town in the Republic.

Lance Bombardier Stephen Restorick was murdered in South Armagh in February 1997. He had been talking and smiling to a Catholic woman when he was gunned down.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/hit-squad-member-mcginn-found-dead-29858814.html

Merry Christmas mate! Gonna miss that bloke like a bad dose of herpes.

Holy tangled web, Bat Man!
THE seizure of €4.3m worth of illegal cigarettes after an Al-Qaeda rocket blew the lid off an IRA smuggling racket has sparked a deadly new feud between rival Provo factions, the Sunday Independent has learned.

The cigarettes -- bound for a fake company, which does not exist, in Co Louth -- were uncovered after a container of cigarettes was struck by Islamic militants who targeted a huge cargo ship on the Suez Canal.

Sources have revealed that a south Armagh gang involved in the feud was involved in a consortium that put up money for the shipment, which was believed to be one of many organised by another IRA faction based in Co Louth.

The container was intercepted only by chance after several Al-Qaeda members in Egypt fired two rockets at one of the world's biggest ships, the Asia Cosco, back in July.

Inspectors who examined the container, which was marked as carrying furniture on the ship's manifest, discovered it was full of cigarettes on their way to a fake company listed in Co Louth.

Gardai and customs officials were notified and the illegal cargo was seized outside Dundalk in September.

Three suspects were arrested and later freed. A file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The Sunday Independent has learned the gang behind the cigarette-smuggling is also involved in diesel-laundering in south Armagh, and had problems with a rival border Provo faction involved in the same illegal business.

Garda sources say tensions are growing in the Louth-Armagh border region as smuggling gangs are becoming increasingly rich and the overarching power of the former South Armagh Provisional IRA is on the wane ....
More on the Cosco Asia attack in the Suez Canal here, here, here and here

Weren't 2 CF members also featured on Prince Harry's "Walking with Wounded" trek in the Antarctic recently?

UK Express

Orf with his beard! The Queen orders Prince Harry to shave off his Antarctic whiskers

THE Queen has issued Prince Harry with a New Year order to shave off his beard. She made it clear to him that she “intensely dislikes” facial hair and expects him to remove it “sooner rather than later”.

The Sunday Express has been told that Harry promised to obey the royal command, but not until after his girlfriend Cressida Bonas had seen it.

Harry, 29, sprouted the beard last month while on his Walking With The Wounded charity trek to the South Pole.

He returned to Britain just in time for the festive celebrations at Sandringham but although his brother William and sister-in-law Kate said they loved his “Windsor whiskers” his grandmother was apparently not amused.

Harry has said beards are a royal tradition and told a well-wisher watching his family walk to church on Christmas morning that he intended to keep his. “The rest of the family liked it and were taking the mickey, especially his cousin Zara who dubbed him ‘Prince Hairy’,” said a royal insider.

“But the Queen soon let her displeasure be known. She doesn’t mind royal men growing beards when they are away in the Armed Forces or out in the wilds like Harry was in the Antarctic, but she expects them to be clean-shaven when they get home.

(...)

Harry’s beard has been praised on social media websites, with female fans calling him “His Royal Hotness”. He was still sporting the beard on New Year’s Eve when he was spotted at the Crooked Billet pub in Stoke Row near Henley-on-Thames, enjoying lunch with friends.

A member of staff, who served him roast chicken and bacon mash with creamed leeks, said: “He still had the beard, he looked just like he does in the papers.”

Cressida, 24, is reportedly soaking up the sun on Sir Richard Branson’s Necker Island in the Caribbean but it is not known if Harry will join her.

If he does not, the pair may go off on a brief skiing holiday before he returns to flying an Apache helicopter at Wattisham in Norfolk.

Friends insist it is too early to say whether Harry is planning to get engaged. One added: “They are taking it slowly and are not going to rush into anything just because the world wants another royal wedding.”

Endurance race organiser admits he lied about being an ex-Royal Marine

Real-life Walter Mitty who built Spartan Race series into multi-million international business admits he lied about military past

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10547297/Endurance-race-organiser-admits-he-lied-about-being-an-ex-Royal-Marine.html

Back