• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CADPAT Rain Gear

PuckChaser said:
Wonder if that'll delay CFB Kingston getting our's sometime in January.... CTS must have a time machine, because Kingston is usually a year or so behind the CMBGs for new kit.  ::)

Try being in a PRes unit. the time machine stopped for the PRes I think!!

It's very frustrating at times. The PRes soldier often has to wait for years for something the Reg Force have already.
I understand the procurement system, and for the most part agree with it. That being said, it's far too slow and too much red tape.

I'm a Reg force guy in a PRes unit.. I wonder how that'll work> I imagine I will get my stuff at the same time as my PRes brethren.  Makes sense.

And correct me if I am wrong reading the pamphlet about the new raingear, are we supposed to remove the reflective tabs as soon as we get it? 

/yeah, I'm a smarta$$...

Bzzliteyr said:
And correct me if I am wrong reading the pamphlet about the new raingear, are we supposed to remove the reflective tabs as soon as we get it? 
/yeah, I'm a smarta$$...
All depends if you usually follow instructions
Do you tear off that label on pillows that says, do not remove ???
A lot of people will also consider removing the mesh liner on the inside of the raingear......
Only thing I can say is that they are condemning themselves to hanging onto the rainsuit until it is realy and truly worn out - cause they won't exchange it for you cause it don't fit no more...

Ecco said:
Exclusive news:

In the next couple of days, there should be a media announcement that the Army Clothe The Soldier Converged CADPAT Rainsuit contract has been awarded. 

This is surprisingly good, considering that because of the total amount of the contract, Treasury Board had to approve the paperwork.  The latest government "vacation"  means that Treasury Board does not meet until the end of January.

There was more time than usual between bid evaluation and contract award for the exact same reason: Treasury Board does not convene during election time.

I know the question will now be:  "When will I receive my rainsuit?"...  It is too early to tell, but we should know soon.  Big quantities will be coming in 2009.

Excellent. 23 years after I was issued waterproof/breathable raingear in the British Army, and 25 years after the US military was issued with the same, we are finally getting the good stuff. Go Canada!

Bzzliteyr said:

Given the amount of time spent annually on the side of a busy highway tinkering with a broken down LSVW, I for one look FOREWARD to the reflective striping... (I'd keep a safety vest under the seat, but I'm confident it would get "borrowed" and never returned, along with my many ice scrapers, rolls of paper towel for DIs, wheel chocks, drip pans, etc)

Honestly, unless I'm specificly ordered to put the things away, or I'm sneaking around in the woods, I'll be leaving the things out...

I'm after almost getting run over too many times walking to the base... must have somthing to do with the fact that I'm camofluaged... or the fact that Newfoundlanders are terrible drivers...

Wow.. Supply guy told me just told me no. I need to be an air force billet position. What is that? How would I find out if I was one?

I"m a (Land) MSE Op working at an Air Element base for the next few years.

Don't get me wrong, the gentleman was very helpful in clearing up my docs with other issues, so I don't have a "hate on" for him. Some how I ended up with 4 or 5 combat shirts on docs... someone didn't cancel out the former ones. So yes.. Supply is always there to help. Servitium Nulli Secundus!

Regards,
Mr Plow

Mr Plow said:
Wow.. Supply guy told me just told me no. I need to be an air force billet position. What is that? How would I find out if I was one?

I"m a (Land) MSE Op working at an Air Element base for the next few years.

Don't get me wrong, the gentleman was very helpful in clearing up my docs with other issues, so I don't have a "hate on" for him. Some how I ended up with 4 or 5 combat shirts on docs... someone didn't cancel out the former ones. So yes.. Supply is always there to help. Servitium Nulli Secundus!

Regards,
Mr Plow

There are folks that wear Army DEU posted to Trenton ... but they are not posted into Air Force billets and are therefore not entitled to the AF raingear.

Working on a Air Base is one thing ... whether or not it's an Air Force Unit (ie Air operational posn on their remar) that you are posted to is quite another.

If you are indeed posted into an Air Force posn ... you ARE entitled ... and I suggest that you revisit clothing stores and ask for your rain gear, failing that - the supervisor, if that's the case.

For example, if you're posted to CFLAWC (CPC), DART, or NBC in Trenton ... those are Army billets in Army Units that just happen to be on Air Force bases; they are not Air Force billets.

Trust me. Youll get way better gear at CJIRU then you would from Clothing anyways lol.

Well after getting a chance to use the new rain gear wile conducting section attacks etc (well I am in Gagetown, and this was done in the snow/rainy crap weather of the past week.) I found it wasn't all that bad.  But keep in mind it was being used in the winter not summer

Pros
I found that it actually breathes, unlike the old rain gear, or the gortex jacket; I wasn't completely drenched at the end of the day.
Fits well under the armor with little to no bulk (except the hood; which I removed)
I found it felt lighter to wear then the old rain gear
The zippered access slots in the rain pants
The pants have large belt loops

Cons
The arm pockets are not really useful when wearing armor/Tac Vest, I had to get one of the guys in my sect to open it so I could get out the aid to memoir I had put in there.
it is bulky to pack
Warm, I was wearing it in the winter, with just combats and I was worm (it was -8/more like -18 with the Wind Chill) even when standing around
No leg pockets in the rain pants
the belt loops on the rain pants keep coming unsnapped  ::)

Just my 2 cents

Chapeski said:
NL_engineer,

Great report on them. Overall do you give them a pass?

I would give them a pass for use in colder wet weather.  As I said I found them worm wearing them with just combats so I guess i will have to wait ad see how they do in worm weather.

Heh.... during the summer, I don't mind getting wet for a while... so not so important if I don't use the raingear BUT, in early spring or late fall when the CADPAT jacket is too much.... this raingear is prolly going to be a godsend

I like the new rain gear! Used it for work up, also in theatre for the first month when it was nippy.Better than the old rubber crap the rain gear has come a long way!

You just know that we're going to be told that it's only to be used as raingear and will not be used as a lightweight jacket or windbreaker right? ;)

recceguy said:
You just know that we're going to be told that it's only to be used as raingear and will not be used as a lightweight jacket or windbreaker right? ;)

Have already been told that (within hours of the issue)  ::), I can only use it if the weather is questionable (any chance of rain and most of us wear them), or in the field.

NL_engineer said:
Have already been told that (within hours of the issue)  ::), I can only use it if the weather is questionable (any chance of rain and most of us wear them), or in the field.

Did you hear the sounds of muskets and cannon fire in the background when you got told that? Some old dinosaurs need to relax a bit.

Back