• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

You know... I may not be the world's biggest optimist, but listening to some of this discussion is like Marvin talking to Eeyore about the the prospects for supper.

Jus' sayin'.

[:D

Eye In The Sky said:
It would require the army to rotate one of its infantry battalions and a headquarters — perhaps as many as 500 troops — into the position once every six months

Sources say the federal cabinet has authorized Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan ‎to provide up to a battalion of Canadian troops, which is about 1,000 soldiers.

I sincerely hope that they mean the Bn headquarters Coy, and not some excuse to employ 1 Can Div HQ.... then again, we've never been good with scaling command oversight to the actual amount of troops on the ground.

PuckChaser said:
I sincerely hope that they mean the Bn headquarters Coy, and not some excuse to employ 1 Can Div HQ.... then again, we've never been good with scaling command oversight to the actual amount of troops on the ground.
Knowing what you do, would you bet against it?

If you would let me know, I like easy money

Altair said:
K ow what you do, would you bet against it?

If you would let me know, I like easy money

We should start an over/under pool on how many staff officers get deployed.

If JOINTEX, MAPLE RESOLVE managed to have a child, with 4CMBG delivering the baby, that baby would be named whatever this "mission" is named.

Well, they did say we're taking a leadership role, so I suspect a 10:1 tail to tooth ratio...

MM

PuckChaser said:
We should start an over/under pool on how many staff officers get deployed.

Ya I see Somalia level staff officer deployment :-/  All the new guys need a gong after all :-/

Old EO Tech said:
Ya I see Somalia level staff officer deployment :-/  All the new guys need a gong after all :-/

Only took 1.5 pages to mention medals (not that you care), but guaranteed that's the first thing someone thinks of at NDHQ.

How much service support required? 6:1 ratio, but troops still have to buy their own boots, slings and fighting rigs.

The ones who are going to suffer are the troops away from their family for 6 months eating shitty food, crammed in shitty living conditions and paraded around in dog and pony shows. The "I just want to deploy!" crowd will get tired of the 14 hour forced bus trips and maple resolve- Europe training in +/- 3 weeks.  March 20kms. The general didn't get to fly over and see you, march another 20km so he can.

We should deploy to smash ISIS and assholes murdering their way across Africa.

If I'm going to be given food with animal and insect parts sticking out (like a rats foot) then I at least want to be making a difference.

Jarnhamar said:
The ones who are going to suffer are the troops away from their family for 6 months eating shitty food, crammed in shitty living conditions and paraded around in dog and pony shows. The "I just want to deploy!" crowd will get tired of the 14 hour forced bus trips and maple resolve- Europe training in +/- 3 weeks.  March 20kms. The general didn't get to fly over and see you, march another 20km so he can.

If I'm going to be given food with animal and insect parts sticking out (like a rats foot) then I at least want to be making a difference.

But FSP, Jarn!!!

Jarnhamar said:

beggars can't be choosers.

PuckChaser said:
If you joined at 18 you wouldn't have missed the cool tours.  8)

Or you would have been in a position where your boss said you were too important to let deploy, and would have been stuck back in Canada anyways.

dapaterson said:
Or you would have been in a position where your boss said you were too important to let deploy, and would have been stuck back in Canada anyways.

Not with Sigs at a Brigade. If you had a heartbeat and could spell Signals, you went.

PuckChaser said:
Not with Sigs at a Brigade. If you had a heartbeat and could spell Signals, you went.

Got to 1 Sigs in 07. Missed out on 1-08, 5-09, 3-09, and gave up hope.

Got posted to Svc Bn and thrown on MTTF out of the blue. The tours haven't stopped since then.

Back