• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

Who says they all have to be manned?
I’m betting the LdSH will crew them and the 2 Alberta based armoured reserve units will never touch a Leo.

But you're ignoring the fact that our former Defence Minister/ Architect is also a former Reserve Armored Regiment CO ;)

We have the equipment, ie we can expand to a Bn of LAVs, the people will be problematic. I could see another rifle company… maybe an expansion of the recce troop to a Sqn. Beyond that I’m skeptical.
I doubt we will see much increase in tank and infantry elements.
More likely the increase will be a mix of the following:
Bde HQ staff
HQ and Sigs Sqn
MP Pl
ASIC
Air Defence and Radar Trps
HQ pers for a MN Arty Bn
Eng Sqn
CSS Coy for Bde

Unless we post a Bde there for 3 years, I don't see 2200 pers sustainable on 6 month rotos. We're a shadow of the CAF that was capable of sustained operations for ATHENA around 2500 pers. The tempo for some low density trades will be unbelievable.

I doubt we will see much increase in tank and infantry elements.
More likely the increase will be a mix of the following:
Bde HQ staff

Yes, but like the BG hq multinational
HQ and Sigs Sqn

Yes

Already in place an multi national, will be expanded but by all I assume

As per above
Air Defence and Radar Trps

Radar Troop and AD troop is what? 60 odd pets all in?
HQ pers for a MN Arty Bn

MN Arty Bn is already a thing. I don’t see us getting to take lead when we provide the least capability.

Spanish provide this now, could possible change ?
CSS Coy for Bde
Beyond the existing NSE ?

If it expands to a Bde it’s going to need more than 1 maneuver element. I suppose you could do some kind of shell game and cut all the tanks into a multi national armour Bn but it’s still not really a Bde. Maybe the Danish Bn as well? Dan Bat, MN Bat, MN Tank Bar, MN Arty bad + NSE ? That seems cumbersome so it’s probably what we’ll do

This is Canada we are talking about. Note how we never state what capability or formation we are deploying but rather the number of people.
Capability and doctrine are mere tertiary afterthoughts.
For big public announcements, capability descriptions are meaningless.

I strongly suspect CAF leadership was consulted before this was announced.

By capability I simply mean something like Canada will be deploying a CMBG with the following units effective immediately, or in 2024 as a demonstration of our commitment.

A strict number only announcement gives the pubic no connection to our forces and the CAF is tied directly to the personnel number cap.

As for the CAF being consulted I am sure that’s true, I am also sure from experience that the pers cap makes limited to no sense below the SJS level.

The other thing to remember is that the up to 2200 personnel are for Op Reassurance in Latvia not the new MN Bde.
Out of that 2200 personnel we need to provide staff to MND North, Task Force Latvia with the NCE and NSE providing Cdn Theatre support, and then the eFP BG and Bde.

For big public announcements, capability descriptions are meaningless.

I strongly suspect CAF leadership was consulted before this was announced.
Consultation: PM Trudeau: "how many people in a Bde?"
General: 2200
PM. I need to make an announcement to distract from our pending failure to meet the 2% so we are going to announce a Bde in Latvia before the NATO summit"
General: but, but, but......Yes sir
Consultation concluded

Consultation: PM Trudeau: "how many people in a Bde?"
General: 2200
PM. I need to make an announcement to distract from our pending failure to meet the 2% so we are going to announce a Bde in Latvia before the NATO summit"
General: but, but, but......Yes sir
Consultation concluded

Where are the troops coming from? Unicornlandia?

Back