• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's New Defence Minister

"Now he can order generals around"

Not quite accurate. A quick glance at my commissioning scroll mentions the chain of command and HM The Queen, but not ministers...

But it does make a catchy headline...

Jarnhamar said:
Has the new MND actually seen combat?

A friend of mine fondly recalls the last time seeing him was in a TIC in Panjwayi....

Jarnhamar said:
Has the new MND actually seen combat?

I do believe he has extensive experience in the Sandbox. There were some threads here and on other sites that detailed that.

jollyjacktar said:
At least she was wearing one.  I can well imagine there would have/could have been or maybe there are MP's who would not wear a poppy for all the wrong reasons.

Amen to that. I always need to suppress the urge to throat punch people who advocate for wearing white poppies, for example...

Thucydides said:
I always need to suppress the urge to throat punch people who advocate for wearing white poppies, for example...

The good news is that, after tomorrow, the poppy debates can be put to rest for another year.  :)

Red/ Green/ White Poppies- Does The Colour Matter?- Merged 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2531.0;nowap
8 pages.

And with that, we can get this thread back on topic.

Ah....you can ask the same about race, so apparently it does you see....to some people that lose sleep over it  ::)

mariomike said:
The good news is that, after tomorrow, the poppy debates can be put to rest for another year.  :)

Red/ Green/ White Poppies- Does The Colour Matter?- Merged 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2531.0;nowap
8 pages.

opcougar said:
Ah....you can ask the same about race, so apparently it does you see....to some people that lose sleep over it  ::)

:dunno:  you lost me there

Try to read the posts again and you might just get my response. Poster said why does colour matter, and I inferred that unfortunately society tends to think it does....which is shameful in this day and age. BLUF....colour is still an issue within society be it with as it relates to poppies or humans

jollyjacktar said:
:dunno:  you lost me there

I think you are stretching the topic to suit your own agenda here.  The post was about poppies, not people.  BLUF, you are putting words into someone else's mouth.

The NCO behind this has not been named yet:

IAN/Yahoo News

Canada's Sikh minister Harjit Sajjan racially abused by soldier
IANS
By Gurmukh Singh | IANS – 3 hours ago

Toronto, Nov 12 (IANS) Canada's newly appointed Sikh Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan has become the target of racist attacks by someone in his own armed forces.

Reports said that a non-commissioned officer from the Canadian Forces Base at Valcartier near Quebec City targeted Sajjan in a racist comment on social media on November 5, just a day after Sajjan was sworn in as defence minister. The comment was later removed.

The Globe quoted an armed forces spokesperson as saying that bullies have no place in the army.

"Racist attitudes are not compatible with military ethos and with effective military service. Any conduct that reflects such attitudes will not be tolerated.

"The institution is entirely committed to the principle of equality of all people and the dignity and worth of every human being", it said, and noted that "bullies have no place in the organisation".

The Toronto Star reported that the military's Chief Warrant Officer Kevin West sent an email to his troops on November 5, saying: "We have had an incident in which a high-ranking member of the military posted negative comments on a Facebook page about our minister.

"It's totally unacceptable. We already deal with conduct problems on a daily bases in our ranks and it's our duty, and that of our leaders, to put an end to it immediately. I was made aware of this incident and to say that I am mad is not the word."

As per military rules, the offending officer can be relieved from the armed forces, suspended, put on probationary period or sent for counselling.

GK .Dundas said:
I'm hoping he's some sort of drunk I'd like think anyone that stupid couldn't make it to NCO rank.

You mean the lofty rank of Cpl?  48 months and your required trade courses and that magic wand gets waved.

Remember, IAW QR & O, Vol 1, Ch 1 Art 1.02 "Definitions" "non-commissioned officer" (sous-officier)means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal;

Master Corporals hold the appointment of MCpl, but their rank remains that of Cpl (Art 3.08).

8)

That sound you hear is the needle going across somebody's career.  :facepalm:

Personally, I would not sent the NCO to a suspension, counselling, probation or relieve him/her of duty.

No, I would arrange for the said NCO a nice private session with CWO West, preferably somewhere deep in the bowels of CARP or a similar place (I hear they have nice one at Valcartier already).

GK .Dundas said:
I'm hoping he's some sort of drunk I'd like think anyone that stupid couldn't make it to NCO rank.
IIRC the email that was sent out said senior NCO.

Back