• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

When the CCV was initiated - 2006 - we were finding LAVs getting severely beaten up by IEDs (and RPGs) and were looking for something heavier. Note that the RFP did not require tracks and all but the CV90 were wheeled offerings. By the time the project came to fruition - December of 2013 - the following factors were at play:

a) Canada had been out of Afghanistan for several years;

b) the CDS had proudly proclaimed that with Afghanistan done, it was the navy and air force's turn for new gear and money;

c) the LAV UP program was also running and was going to deliver an upgraded LAV 6.0 which had solved most of the earlier problems with the LAV III;

d) due to the financial crisis the defence budget was dropping from a high of $21.4 billion in 2011 to $18.5 billion in 2013 and $17.9 for 2014 and 15; and

e) the semi-religious fervour behind the medium-weight, all-singing, all-dancing LAV army was still in vogue with many folks in the army's leadership. At this point, the CCV's champions - Andy Leslie and Dan Ross - were both gone. Those that remained saw little advantage that the CCV allegedly offered over the LAV 6.0. No one was really planning on what one could really call "heavy formations" - the aim had been better protection for the troops within a medium weight force (it's worth remembering that with 108 CCVs, there would have been roughly one company's worth per brigade for training purposes as well as an operational stock that could have been deployed for up to one battle-group. The army was never thinking of anything in the way of an armoured brigade here - the concept of a heavy 1 CMBG had been frittered away during Afghanistan)

The CV90 had not yet been announced but was considered the likely winner. Regardless $2 billion for 108 CCVs was considered an unaffordable luxury and so was cut. On a cheery note, the TAPV went ahead. :giggle:

🍻

Mad Season 9 GIF by The Office

I did a quick search. Does anyone actually use the CV90/105?

All I've seen are comments from Reddit re War Thunder gaming and the results aren't good.

:giggle:

You might want to consider the limitations of the system before applying it.

On the other hand - two fit into a C17, they have got more armour than anything the VDV could bring to the field, and they would beat BMPs, BTRs and MTLBs as well. They would probably do a number on a T72 and earlier.

To my knowledge nobody has mounted a 105 on a CV90 except for prototyping and marketing. On the other hand I know of a fair number of vehicles mounting 105s on lighter hulls, some of them even wheeled.

You want to join the US Marines and go hey diddle diddle right up the middle then by all means build your heavy force and concentrate at the schwerpunkt.

Me, I want to hold on to the other 90% of the terrain and that requires more economy of effort. I might even be able to threaten the other chap's LOCs. ;)

Last edited:
I don't disagree -- but the cost implications of that are fairly extensive I am told.

Any idea what the price is on the Vampire 70mm turret and/or the Slinger 30mm turrets and how it might compare to Delco 25 or Kongsberg products? Or, for that matter, a Trophy system?

How Much Does a VAMPIRE Cost?​

L3Harris announced in January that the US Department of Defense awarded them a $40 million contract to deliver 14 VAMPIRE weapon systems for Kiev forces.
The company also boasts that the APKWS rockets – essentially the 70mm unguided Hydra rockets converted into laser-guided munitions - the VAMPIRE can use are also relatively low-cost, being priced at about $27,500 apiece.

The Slinger is designed for low-cost counter-drone interception. Compared to traditional missiles that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars being used against drones costing in the low tens of thousands or less, Slinger has a cost per engagement ranging from $155-$1,550; unit cost is less than $1.55 million.

Poking holes in overly resilient buildings at less cost than a missile? Though there must be other options for that.

Engineers with a Demo gun - or rocket line setup.
Round about 1970, an issue of Armor had an article calling for what was basically a STuG .
It would have used the drive train and running gear of a then prototype of an MICV . And the main armament of the M 60 A2 a 152 mm gun.
Some where I suspect I still have a copy of that issue.
It may time to go looking for it .
So take this:
1280px-Combined_Resolve_III_141024-A-LO967-008.jpg

And add the gun from this:
M728_Combat_Engineer_Vehicle_%28CEV%29.jpg

Actually it had no turret. .
I always thought both the Americans and the British took a backward step when they retired the 165 m.m. Demolition gun .

Back