• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

"Some have argued that the reconnaissance role is no longer relevant with UAS etc, so we shouldn't worry about it. There may be some merit in that argument, but I don't know that we can make such a bold pronouncement."

I still think there is a place on the battlefield for the human to conduct recce. Recce is a relevant role and lets not forget UAS etc can break or be rendered incapable of performing its task.
There is nothing quite like "eyes on the objective".
The problem with armoured recce in the Canadian context is it's too damned passive as it was born in the Sinai during our peacekeeping days and matured in the "End of History" era. If a recce by force-centric, combined arms cavalry squadron similar to our Second World War Recce model became the flavour of the day, I personally would be one of the first to volunteer haha.

"Some have argued that the reconnaissance role is no longer relevant with UAS etc, so we shouldn't worry about it. There may be some merit in that argument, but I don't know that we can make such a bold pronouncement."

I still think there is a place on the battlefield for the human to conduct recce. Recce is a relevant role and lets not forget UAS etc can break or be rendered incapable of performing its task.
There is nothing quite like "eyes on the objective".
When it comes to fluid kinetic operations like we see in Ukraine, I think there's a strong argument to be made for having eyes on the objective.

Drones break and malfunction, run out of juice, get damaged, jammed, shot down, etc.

And if one is waiting to ambush a column of enemy armour, or is sneaking through the woods for a small force on force engagement, having some human eyeballs on overwatch is a big deal.

Having tech is great until the tech doesn't work

Back