• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

It is refreshing, but an isolated example which runs counter to the LPC messaging regarding the source of gun violence in Canada. The LPC have yet to release their firearms policy for this election. They may have been waiting to see what the other parties come out with. I expect it will make Bill C-21 look pretty benign.

I fear with the way this is going for the Liberals, firearm owners are about to get a serious beatdown.

The real weakness of P.R. is that there is no accountability for individual MPs, they become slaves to the party.

Given that we are already suffering from that in our current FPTP system, then I would argue we should either fix it by making MPs relevant again (which we seem incapable of), or we have to acknowledge that MPs don't represent people in their riding, they represent the party, and so we might as well adopt P.R. and get the benefits (proper representation for voters) since we're already accepting the drawbacks.

I'm okay with hamstringing the government. As COVID has shown, when it matters, they can make things work as they do fear the wrath of the ballot, but when they try to take advantage (like the Liberals did at the outset of COVID by trying to pass legislation that would essentially make them our new overlords), the ability to hamstring them is pretty important.

FPTP only works when individual legislators are empowered, it relies on that. We don't have that right now.
MPs arealready slaves to their party, so much so that I don't think individual ridings or any connection to them matters worth a damn.

But FPTP does always for stable majority governments.

Minority governments are nice some of the time, but sometimes you end up like Israel,with so much constant ally searching, horse trading, and irreconcilable differences between parties that you have 2 elections a year.

Maybe do like Greece and give the party with the highest percentage of the popular vote a extra 50 mps.

Edit:Greece got rid of this system.

The only thing I find hypocritical is people who want so badly that a woman have a baby instead of choosing an abortion, but when it comes to things like subsidized daycare for said baby that was not aborted, there are complaints about affordability and who's responsibility it is to raise that child.

Want a woman to choose life, make it so she can get back to work, have a career, and not need to stay home until that child is in school and maybe she would want to keep it.
VALID ARGUMENT

I fear with the way this is going for the Liberals, firearm owners are about to get a serious beatdown.
Agreed. I expect a full ban on semi-auto long guns and all handguns with no compensation as the worst case. However, they will likely come up with something far more complicated and unworkable.

MPs arealready slaves to their party, so much so that I don't think individual ridings or any connection to them matters worth a damn.

That was literally what I said...

The real weakness of P.R. is that there is no accountability for individual MPs, they become slaves to the party.

Given that we are already suffering from that in our current FPTP system, then I would argue...

Maybe do like Greece and give the party with the highest percentage of the popular vote a extra 50 mps.

Edit:Greece got rid of this system.

In most cases that's going to wind up being the exact same as FPTP... admittedly it would have been a very strong CPC minority in 2019 if they did that, but historically in most cases whoever wins popular vote wins the most seats, and are overrepresented in Parliament... if you give them 50 more seats, you just overrepresent whoever won the popular vote.

EKOS traditionally polls the LPC a bit lower so its more likely a statistical tie than CPC ahead.

So the question is, if Trudeau manages to turn a fairly stable minority government into an election loss, does the LPC dump him immediately? What kind of chaos would that bring about for them when they have no one competent waiting in the wings?

... if Trudeau manages to turn a fairly stable minority government into an election loss, does the LPC dump him immediately? ...
If that happens (and there's a lot of campaign left between now & the vote), I'd bet a loonie he'd be gone pretty quick.

I would laugh so hard all day if the Liberals lost this election. But to truly lose the Conservatives would need to get a majority which I just dont see happening

Tory minority, Trudeau steps down, Tories miscount support in the house, lose a vote of confidence, Trudeau changes his mind, comes back, and wins a majority...

Attachments

• 20210821slide03.png
    20210821slide03.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
Cons seem to be gaining ground over a number of issues, O'tooles promise of a 6% escalator to health transfers, and his opioid, that will speak to a lot of Canadians.

Cons seem to be gaining ground over a number of issues, O'tooles promise of a 6% escalator to health transfers, and his opioid, that will speak to a lot of Canadians.
I lost a family member to an opioid overdose. It speaks to me.

Trudeau’s blatant lie about O’Toole wanting privatized healthcare is pissing me off at the moment.

Trudeau’s blatant lie about O’Toole wanting privatized healthcare is pissing me off at the moment.
Another great demon card to play, I lost a coworker a few years ago to opioid abuse, on the health care front he is offering real policies that can speak to Canadians. Dating for fiscal policy, while many Canadians don't understand economics, understanding the housing and food prices are sky rocketing people do get and are demanding something be done.

I wish we would move to a two tiered healthcare system.

Some of the top healthcare systems exist in Europe and they are mostly two tiered.

The outliers in the west are the USA with little public option and Canada with little private option, both countries with subpar healthcare systems.

Back